Malkoff Bodyguard

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Bodyguard: Am I the only one holding out *because* of the step down to 150lm? Isn't that the last thing you want in a super high stress situation?

same question... interested to know what you guys think?

This light has been spec'd for Bobyguarding use, the clue is in the name!

If the SHTF then the user wants the protected person out of that situation now! Ten seconds is a lifetime in such a threat situation.

It's been designed for flash & dash type use.

It comes on in HIGH mode every time, it cuts down after ten second because it was never intended/designed to be on any longer thus protecting the light from overheating.

Last edited:

pomah

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am intrigued by this light, but for me living in Sweden the cost for body guard head with a 16650 tube would be 238 USD and I would need to pay tax on top of that... it is not really a viable option at that amount... Any suggestions for users in the EU?

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I am intrigued by this light, but for me living in Sweden the cost for body guard head with a 16650 tube would be 238 USD and I would need to pay tax on top of that... it is not really a viable option at that amount... Any suggestions for users in the EU?

Buy a Surefire Tactician.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Too bad the new body was not bored for 18mm battery, with added reducing (delrin) sleeve to run 123 primaries to accommodate department agencies convenience of battery usage

NH.. Looking forward to your evaluation!

I saw today a comment on Malkoff site that said he would be making an 18650 body for the new body guard head. There I'll be an adapter supposedly.

See 3rd comment. https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/pages/new-testimonial

It seems that good news is coming ...
if I could choose, then I would particularly vote for a host mdc 16650 with the pile of donuts.

an even better grip on the current hosts (md2, md3, md4) would also not be a bad idea.

with regard to flashlight bodyguard, I think the product is very good, has all the characteristics of a malkoff product, is like reliability, quality and usability.

for me unfortunately it is not a good option because I prefer the "gas pedal" style tailcap or something similar to what the protac streamlight flashlights make available through programming: 1) high / strobe / low 2) high only 3) low / high

a malkoff flashlight with this interface would make me retire ... lol

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Got mine! Rock solid typical Malkoff build quality, beautiful beam, nice white light. When I buy a light these days, it has got to be different than anything else I own. The MBG met that criteria. It'll be nice for nights out on the town with the wife knowing that no matter what, this light comes on in high mode. :D

It has been awhile since my last order, Cathy wrote me a nice paragraph. Can't beat that kind of customer service. :)

pomah

Newly Enlightened
Those of you who have both the 16650 body and the standard 16340, which do you prefer? How is the size compared in length to e.g. a quark with the 16650 body? The 16340 seems to be same size as a 16340 quark from what i can tell.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Those of you who have both the 16650 body and the standard 16340, which do you prefer? How is the size compared in length to e.g. a quark with the 16650 body? The 16340 seems to be same size as a 16340 quark from what i can tell.

The Bodyguard with the 1-CR123 body is about the same AOL as the Quark QT2L-X head on a 1-AA body.

As to the Malkoff 16650 body vs. the 1-CR123, I've been switching back and forth and at this point have no strong preference. My only gripe with both of these bodies is that the shroud recesses the switch too deeply and makes activation a bit difficult. I ordered he shroudless 1-CR123 body and grip ring yesterday to give that a try.

I think a shroudless 18650 body would be perfect for best grip and ease of access to the switch.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For pocketability, I prefer the shorter tube, Although using a 16650 is so much more efficient. Do the CPF thing and buy both.

It's very funny, a while back everyone was grumbling about the clip on the MDC not allowing tailstanding, and now everyone is all over the new shroudless tail. Guess you can't please all the people all the time.
I'll take a raised tailcap over tailstanding every time.
P