Malkoff Hound Dog Super vs Klarus XT32

QMT93

Enlightened
@INFRNL: Yes, I prefer one or two output modes. It's easy to use, and I don't have to circle through to find the right one. One if the main reasons I chose the MMX-360 for was its mode-memory feature. I set it on High and have kept it that way since day one.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

QMT93

Enlightened
Besides the price, the mode options turns me off a bit. I understand the Rotary is easy to use while not so much to accidentally change the modes, but given my needs, it'd go to waste.

QMT93

Enlightened
LMAO, just what I'm afraid of.

I have always thought of flashlight as a mean to safety, which means ease of use, brightness, battery life, and durability come before all else. The more I read, the more I realize I need to understand correctly the basics of flashlights to know what I need, and what trade-off is worth taking.

To my understanding, an HDSSystem, or OverReady offers pretty much everything, except I can't find definitive info on brightness. AND THE PRICE!!!

A Malkoff would provide information and service on eveything, even long after purchase. So yes, I'm leaning pretty hard towards a Malkoff, just trying to dig up more information.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Besides the price, the mode options turns me off a bit. I understand the Rotary is easy to use while not so much to accidentally change the modes, but given my needs, it'd go to waste.

Yep you can VERY often find used HDS lights in the sell section here.99 percent of the time they are brand new and only been carried in a pocket so that's a good way to save on them.

QMT93

Enlightened
Ah, thank you! I'll look into it.

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
Something I have not seen mentioned here. Manufactures like Malkoff, HDS will be earlier to resell in the future.

In 2 or 3 years time you will probably have a less trouble recouping a good percentage of your money back from Malkoff than Klarus.

QMT93

Enlightened
Are you saying resell value? I don't plan on reselling if the light works for me.

However, it is true a Malkoff or HDS would have higher resell value.

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend that you buy both lights you are looking at. Play with them. Test them. Send the one back you prefer less. I would think you would have no problem getting your money back.

And I would be interested in which one that would be. I get pricing is a concern and may ultimately be a variable in your decision making process that makes you go one way or the other. Pricing to me is less important but still something I consider.

QMT93

Enlightened
Price is definitely something I have to keep in mind. I'll do some more research, while keeping that option in mind.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
IMHO, If money is a consideration, don't let it be. What I mean is don't settle for flashlight X when you really wanted flashlight Y because it is $75 cheaper. If you do that, there is a very good chance later you will wish you had flashlight Y, and you might end up with both of them anyway. Instead, I would wait and keep saving and researching like you are doing until the light you want is within your reach. Then when you get it, if it is a Malkoff, your gonna want more and more.

Now if you bought 200 Bitcoins back in 2015... LOL:crackup::party::party:

Last edited:

QMT93

Enlightened
Yup, that's what I'm doing: reading and saving.

I know, that Bitcoin lol

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an idea....
I know you want want the Throwiest Thrower from Throwland, but you also seem to understand Archimedes' Graph and understand about quality.
Why not get a regular XM-L2 Hound Dog and live with it for a bit. It won't break the Bank as badly as the Super, and you'll get to know what Malkoffs are about. if you decide that you still want the Super, sell the XM-L2 head and buy the Super head for your MD4 body. If you decide that Malkoffs are not for you, sell the whole thing and buy something else.
The drop in value will be the same as if you'd rented the Malkoff for a bit.

That makes sense to me, but I haven't had my Cornflakes yet.
P

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Here's an idea....
I know you want want the Throwiest Thrower from Throwland, but you also seem to understand Archimedes' Graph and understand about quality.
Why not get a regular XM-L2 Hound Dog and live with it for a bit. It won't break the Bank as badly as the Super, and you'll get to know what Malkoffs are about. if you decide that you still want the Super, sell the XM-L2 head and buy the Super head for your MD4 body. If you decide that Malkoffs are not for you, sell the whole thing and buy something else.
The drop in value will be the same as if you'd rented the Malkoff for a bit.

That makes sense to me, but I haven't had my Cornflakes yet.
P

Oh, that was a sneaky one right there Peter. You know he will end up with both that way.:crackup:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Idk, it seems that the op is much stronger than we were and will stand his ground. Time will tell though.

I do agree though that if he doesn't need a max output light, a non-super hound dog is s an excellent light and typically more useful for most compared to the super

archimedes

Flashaholic
Idk, it seems that the op is much stronger than we were and will stand his ground. Time will tell though.I do agree though that if he doesn't need a max output light, a non-super hound dog is s an excellent light and typically more useful for most compared to the super
Yes, that was the sneaky part ... start with the more generally useful one first :p

QMT93

Enlightened
@peter yetman: that's actually what I've been thinking. The XM-L2 throws at about 300m, with good spill. I prefer buying something and using it until it breaks, and given Malkoff reputation, it seems rational I start saving up. All I'm doing is reading and asking questions before committing.

@CREEXHP70LED: that might end up a spoiler. You guys are too shady to be into flashlights.[emoji23]

@INFRNL: I do appreciate quality, and am willing to pay for it. At the same time, I don't turn down any savings I can make. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

@archimedes: yup, have to be careful with these flashaholics haha.

QMT93

Enlightened
The Lit Sneaky Pete haha.

Anyway, thank you all for your input! Really appreciate an informative community!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Carefully crafted in America by the company owner and perhaps a worker or two with practically everything grown in America.
That or made in another country by a giant factory with a bunch of underpaid workers and robotic technology.