Malkoff Hound Dog Super vs Klarus XT32

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The 18650 HD does drop down as voltage goes down but you really can't tell. I think it's 1000 at startup and 650 or so towards the end. If your out and about using this thing you won't even notice. What I like about it is that it doesn't walk off the cliff and shut down when your battery is going flat. Gives you plenty of time to swap out batteries.

QMT93

Enlightened
I see. That makes sense. I guess I can out that one on the list. I'll look at the battery life curve by @INFRNL.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you think the McClicky on Malkoff is not reliable, and prefer twisties? I like the forward tail cap with momentary because I can operate the light with one hand, and that I only need up to three modes.

Its not that the McClicky isn't reliable, just the the twisty is more reliable as there are less moving parts. If you absolutely needed the most reliable light, a potted light with a twisty is the way to go. However, the McClicky is very easy to swap out.

I have had an MD2 for many years-used it for work and never had an issue with the switch.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Side note: If you want to play with a Rotary, PM me. I'll send you one to try out and it will only cost you return shipping.

CPF is a cool place. We look out for each other here. :twothumbs

Why do you think the McClicky on Malkoff is not reliable, and prefer twisties?

The McClicky is a good switch, particularly when it is protected by switch bumper O-rings (supplied with all new lights). They have plastic components inside that operate much like a clicky ball point pen. I've managed to break one myself, but that was before I discovered bumper O-rings. The good news is that McClicky switches are inexpensive and user replaceable.

The old school Surefire Z41 twisty tail cap doesn't have any major moving parts and thus is less prone to failure.

Malkoff tail cap threads are compatible with other tail caps like Surefire and Overready. Probably a few others as well.

QMT93

Enlightened
@tech25: Have you been using the MD2 with a McClicky or a twisty?

@Modernflame: in that case, can I use a Surefire or Oveready twisty tailcap on a Malkoff MDx body?

QMT93

Enlightened
Lol the way you describe him! I'll read some more on the twisty tailcap. Right now, I'll finalize my question thread. Thanks for the info!

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
@tech25: Have you been using the MD2 with a McClicky or a twisty?

I started using it with the Malkoff tailcap with a clicky but switched to a surefire tailcap with a McClicky in it for a bit. The surefire tailcap is a bit shorter than the Malkoff at the expense of tailstanding

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say "beefier hot spot than the Klarus", are you saying that the HD Super hot spot is bigger/wider than that of the Klarus? If I understand correctly, the consensus, as you said, is that the HD Super has a larger, more useful spill, while still supplies a lot of throw power. On the other hand, the Klarus is a pure thrower, which has a more pencil beam.

Yes, Super HD has a wider hotspot than of a typical reflector thrower so I assume it's wider than of XT32. But I have no experience of XT32 so I really can't confirm it.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I started using it with the Malkoff tailcap with a clicky but switched to a surefire tailcap with a McClicky in it for a bit. The surefire tailcap is a bit shorter than the Malkoff at the expense of tailstanding

Ya the MD2 with a sf tail is easier to carry and quite a bit shorter. It's my work light.
005-C9-CF6-0933-4027-A940-4-C2-DFD646-F37.jpg

QMT93

Enlightened
Is it the one in the middle? They all look awesome. What's the head you're using?

QMT93

Enlightened
Ah, yes, that makes sense. Thanks!