Malkoff Hound Dog Super vs Klarus XT32

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I might add (begging pardon if this was already stated) is that the Hound Dog Super and the Klarus should not be compared based on candela/lux readings. These two lights have very different design philosophies. The Hound Dog Super was not designed to be a pencil beam type thrower, whereas the Klarus was intended to get maximum reach by compressing as much light as possible into the hotspot. In short, the Hound Dog Super sacrifices somewhat in terms of reach, but it has a wider, more useful beam within that range. Thus, you're not paying more for less, you're just choosing the right tool for the job.

QMT93

Enlightened
I see. That makes sense to me. Thank you for pointing that out for me [emoji1].

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

QMT93

Enlightened
If I understand correctly, we can calculate candela from lumen and beam angle by 1lm = 1cd x 1 sr. By looking for lower lumen output, they must be looking for a) lower candela, b) lower sr, or c) both. And they are willing to do it because it gives them better quality image from the surrounding, while the traded-off brightness is insignificant?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
90 percent of my light use is at about 200Lm or less. Sure, i have lights that will do 1000Lm plus, but they only get used in the Winter.
This means I can use a smaller light and still get the runtime to last me at least a day's work. One of my HDSs lives in my pocket all day, everyday, and in the Summer, Spring and Autumn I rarely feel the need to get out a big hitter.
P

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, to echo what Hogo said earlier, it's not really about Lumens, Lux and Candela, although at least they are measurable and that's why the manufacturers make such a big deal about them. For me it's about how a light feels in your hand and in your pocket. It's about the colour of the light coming ot the fromt and how it lands on its subject. It's also about how much time you can get between cell changes. It's about lots of very subjective stuff that you'll only work out once you've played with a few.
P

QMT93

Enlightened
@peter yetman: I see. How far can a 200lm light throw, or how wide is its spill? Or does this depend mostly on the beam angle?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 200Lm light can throw just as far as its reflector lets it.
I have a Peli light which I think is about 65Lm which can out throw many lights with 10 times the output. The spill on the other hand is useless.

While I'm here on a roll, a bit more about subjectivity.
There's a guy on here called usdiver, his favourite light until recently was a 250Lm HDS Tactical Rotary.
I was lucky enough to pick one up on the Marketplace and for me it was not great.
It worked as a flashlight, but compared to my HDS Nichia Clicky it didn't hit the spot. I'm in a minority in that I like HDS Clickies and think that the Rotaries are the Devil's Dumplings. However, HDS sell something like 4 Rotaries for every Clicky.
So you see it's very much in the eye of the beholder.

Glad I got that off my chest, I shall now crawl back under my stone.
P

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
One might say there are different sub-species of flashaholic on this forum. Some guys enjoy chasing lumens and specs. Others, like me, rarely think about those things. I bought and sold a few dozen lights before I realized that color rendition, beam tint, build quality, and user interface are my favorite aspects of flashlight manufacturing.

QMT93

Enlightened
@peter yetman: I see your point now. I prefer up to 3 modes, so the Rotary seems not for me.

@Modernflame: for now, I need brightness, throw, and spill. Hopefully, I'll become more knowledgeable to appreciate other aspects of lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Modernflame: for now, I need brightness, throw, and spill. Hopefully, I'll become more knowledgeable to appreciate other aspects of lights.

All good, brother. It's not a matter of knowledge, but preference. I hope we can help you find what you are looking for. Have you considered something in the Malkoff E2 Super family?

Last edited:

QMT93

Enlightened
@Modernflame: reading knowledge and reviews from communities like CPF definitely helps me. The E2 Hyper Throw is on my list. I'll post a thread with details on my light needs and wants soon.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
@Modernflame: reading knowledge and reviews from communities like CPF definitely helps me. The E2 Hyper Throw is on my list. I'll post a thread with details on my light needs and wants soon.

Wait my friend., you just listed them. LOL! For now I need brightness, throw and spill.

QMT93

Enlightened
@CREEXHP70: I'm lost. Are you referring to my old threads, or the one asking about custom lights, or this one???

P.S: lol NVM. I initially didn't see the latter part of your comment. What I was trying to say includes, but is not limited to, throw distance, battery type, runtime, form, etc. A more detailed list :)

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that Klarus XT32 uses a typical reflector design, which makes it different than Malkoff HD Super.
The lens design of Malkoff gives a very wide spill, but not as intense as with reflector. And I assume also a beefier hotspot(someone can tell about that) than Klarus. These lights therefore have different beam characters with each pros and cons.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I muddy the waters with a Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog... I have a Super, but I use it stays in the vehicle... with a quick detach mount to go on a carbine. The 18650 HD, in my humble opinion, is much more carry friendly and still reaches out plenty.

Side note: If you want to play with a Rotary, PM me. I'll send you one to try out and it will only cost you return shipping.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff, Hound Dog Super or not, is not just about raw lumens and raw runtime. Or beam profile. Just as important are the things you do not see: All Malkoffs are heatsinked and potted. And I believe the quality of Malkoffs heatsinking and potting exceeds that of anything else. That is the point.

Essentially you are buying custom made lights that have been put into production. It's not that they are cheap, but the they are excellent value. They are actually very cheap for what you get. Malkoff is not some guy in a factory. He is an artist and his lights are masterpieces. Some of the are one of a kind. Some of them start fairly generic but are modified into one of a kind configurations.

Ask yourself this question, if you are stuck in a cave with a pair of lights and you drop both of them on the floor, which one would you rather have in a situation where your life directly depends on the durability of a light - a Malkoff or something else? I know the answer to that question.

I would get a Malkoff Hound Dog, possibly Super depending if I am indoors or outdoors and some kind of a Surefire or MD2 loaded with a M61 series module.
Truth be told I would modify both of them with twisties. As the clicky tailcap is the only feature I do not trust.

QMT93

Enlightened
I see that Klarus XT32 uses a typical reflector design, which makes it different than Malkoff HD Super.
The lens design of Malkoff gives a very wide spill, but not as intense as with reflector. And I assume also a beefier hotspot(someone can tell about that) than Klarus. These lights therefore have different beam characters with each pros and cons.

When you say "beefier hot spot than the Klarus", are you saying that the HD Super hot spot is bigger/wider than that of the Klarus? If I understand correctly, the consensus, as you said, is that the HD Super has a larger, more useful spill, while still supplies a lot of throw power. On the other hand, the Klarus is a pure thrower, which has a more pencil beam.

May I muddy the waters with a Malkoff 18650 Hound Dog... I have a Super, but I use it stays in the vehicle... with a quick detach mount to go on a carbine. The 18650 HD, in my humble opinion, is much more carry friendly and still reaches out plenty.

Side note: If you want to play with a Rotary, PM me. I'll send you one to try out and it will only cost you return shipping.

Mr. Malkoff about the HD Super, HD XM-L2, and HD 18650. He said that both the HD Super and HD XM-L2 will stay close to the intial lux output throughout the battery life, while the HD 18650 lux will drop overtime. I prefer the former. Also, the HD Super is closer to a backup/hobby to me, which means I don't need to access it as fast and easily as the main EDC one.

Regarding the Rotary, thank you! I really don't want to bother you or anyone that much. It's the knowledge and input of members like you that allows me to understand better my needs and wants.

QMT93

Enlightened
@etc: It is the consensus that Malkoff products are of high quality, and the customer service from the couple behind them is simply top notch. And yes, I'm leaning pretty hard towards a Malkoff.

Why do you think the McClicky on Malkoff is not reliable, and prefer twisties? I like the forward tail cap with momentary because I can operate the light with one hand, and that I only need up to three modes.