Malkoff M31

With a AAto2xCR123A Adapter. Works like a charm an as I say I can Use 1X123 or 1XAA.

Received a Surefire E1e today and was thinking of putting a M31 with VME head on the business end. Just realized that the M31 is only rated for 3 V. I always thougt it is up to 3.7 V like the MDC.

Were there different versions or did I miss somerhing? Appreciate your inputs.

Till

The very old M30 was rated for 1x LiIon (& actually a little higher, 5/5.5v), but the vastly-improved (IMO) M31 was 3v max - running /wonderfully/ on 1xCR123 or 2xAA was what we got from losing 3.7Vin (with which the updated M61 now did very well).

Last edited:
It took me forever to score a M30 always wanted one. But After using it and comparing it to the M31 I like the M31 way more. I liked the idea of the ability to use many different cells with it but now we have things like the fantastic 4L's other then not being able to run on a single AA it's a lot better for my use.

To each his own, right? I'm using my recent M30 purchase a lot more than my M31 because of its battery versatility and more focused beam pattern, and I just like using rechargeables. I really only have primaries as back up for emergencies. M30 is in a vme head and use it with three different mdc bodies. And the wife likes it for walking the dog for its compact size and single mode set up. Next to the warm 4 LLLL, it's getting the most use these days.

I have a M31LLL that I feed all my used CR123 cells to. It fires up just fine on cells that my other lights won't even light up on.

Once I use up my stash of CR123 cells, I may break down and actually purchase some new ones (I've never actually bought a CR123 cell...I just have the cells that came with new lights).

--flatline

Maybe I should consider to use only primaries. I like rechargeables, but 16340 cells are not that advanced anymore by today's standards.
I was wrong with the MDC heads, they also are either up to 3.2 V or for one Li-Ion. Only the bodyguard seems to be able to run both. I think this is a direct drive drop-in?

Primaries just don't cut it for me. Initially they're fine, but if you want want full power, you always have to swap them out for fresh cells, and then you're stuck with a box of depleted cells. If I had M31 LLL/L as a vampire light( or a 3v version of the aa/aaa volt vampire lights made by datiled), then I could use the old cells, otherwise it's a waste and not very environmentally friendly. It's good to remember that improperly disposed of batteries can be extremely toxic and will cause problems long after this forum is gone.

Last edited:
Yes but isn't it more harmful for the environment to make a rechargeable lithium ion then a primary? Lithium mines are horrible for the environment period.

I don't use the M30W very often, since it currently lives in an emergency-event Pelican case.

I also use a. M31N to finish off partially used CR123s, but I'm not reducing my inventory of them faster than I'm adding to it.

Yep same here. I use my partially depleted 123's in my M30,M31's and probably have enough to last me 5 years or so of use.but I add much more to the pile then I use. Oh the problems with being a Flashaholic.