Malkoff M60WLF (Warm Low Flood) first impressions.

abarraga86

Newly Enlightened
So what lights are you using your Malkoff's with?? Any preferences in the surefire line to use with the WF's? Im really thinking about getting a Malkoff because I could really use a flood (i only have throwers), and it would be really great if it could be warm tinted, so would I bee just as good getting a 6P than another more expensive light or are there major benefits? I see so much happiness with these dropins, im jealous....

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C2 for a full power M60/m30 is my choice for an EDC light. I have a yellow surefire G2 as a glovebox light with a lower power module as well.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what lights are you using your Malkoff's with?? Any preferences in the surefire line to use with the WF's? Im really thinking about getting a Malkoff because I could really use a flood (i only have throwers), and it would be really great if it could be warm tinted, so would I bee just as good getting a 6P than another more expensive light or are there major benefits? I see so much happiness with these dropins, im jealous....

Depends on what you need ie clip etc but I would definately get a Surefire 6P as a Malkoff host (its the cheapest and for my needs, it's the perfect size and shape).

It weird how things end up but after owning a Fenix, Ra Twisty 100, Jet Beam III M, DBS V2 etc, the lowly 6P with a M60 WLF is my personal favourite light!:twothumbs

The key to my combo is five fold:

1. The Warm Tint.
2. The Flood beam.
3. The Low output run time.
4. The cool running emitter.
5. The quality of the Malkoff and the Surefire host itself.

The expected resale value and saleability of the Surefire/Malkoff combo could be quite good in future also.

Good luck

James....

Last edited:

concept0

Enlightened
I was going to get a M60WL for my G2L, but now you guys are making me want a M60WLF instead...

I want it for all-purpose/emergency use. Inside the house, around the neighborhood, and camping.

Augh! decisions... :confused:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L's are perfectly fine, even in a completely plastic light, no worries!. Still, for the full power versions i wonder if the metal bezel really helps that much. This calls for some IR thermometer+ head swapping later. Maybe when I finally get some rechargables :sigh:

concept0

Enlightened
The L's are perfectly fine, even in a completely plastic light, no worries!. Still, for the full power versions i wonder if the metal bezel really helps that much. This calls for some IR thermometer+ head swapping later. Maybe when I finally get some rechargables :sigh:

Great! Just waiting to hear from Gene about getting myself an M60WLF!

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This includes several videos I made comparing the M60W to other Malkoffs and other flashlights in general I really like this warm version. On WBP's Spectral Radiometer it showed up as an overall "orange" color tint readout. He's got a really good system for measuring the color tint. There will be more work done in this area.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/215073

Tried to do some on white wall and some in the garage with posterized people targets type shots to help show color tint.

Also one shows the filters Gene Malkoff sent me, various beam patterns that help to diffuse these lights without having to buy both the regular 6 degree optic and the flood version. Just drop the style you like.

the warm is just soo easy on the eyes.

I am wondering if I should talk him into making a "warm" triple drop, 2 of the "W" versions and one of the cooler tint ones for an overall well rounded light??? Talking myself into spending more money again. Dang!!!

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
My M60wlf just got here :) If my rechargables had gotten here too that would have been awesomer, but I suppose I'll have to make do with mere awesome :laughing:

First impressions, wow that's a wide hotspot. If you have an M60 you may have noticed that 1 soft ring in the beam, that lies between the flood outside the hotspot and the real spill light. The F optic isn't a mere diffuser, it shapes the beam into a broad, even hotspot that's larger than that first ring by a bit then a perfect transition to the spill which may be a bit brighter than the M60's at the periphiary. On close inspection it's a bunch of hexagonal microlenses, the beam is also ever so slightly hexagon shaped, most folks aren't likely to ever notice when whitewall hunting, you'll never see it in use. I'm not going to bother with white wall shots, suffice it to say it's definately a wall of light, from 12 feet the hotspot just about covers an 8x10 wall. The colors are quite lovely, it does look a little pinkish brown compared side by side with the M60, but to my eye when put next to a source of 2pm sunlight it's almost a perfect match. Reds and greens are much richer and in the case of some darker shades of red seems nearly as bright as the M60.

It should be ideal for the job I bought it for, which is as a general purpose/working on cars/computer light. I had to use my M60 to check fluids one night and about blinded myself every time the hotspot reflected off anything that wasn't flat black. Needing to squint to look at the dipstick markings is not my idea of a worklight:candle:Aside from being too bright it was hard to see the red transmission fluid on the dipstick, I doube I'll have that problem now :) I may need to get an M60wl eventually to keep in the truck fulltime as this one is too utilitarian for its own good, I might forget to put it back in the truck when I'm done with it.

As far as tactical illumination, I wouldn't, not with this one. I zapped myself in the eyes with it and there was no jerk reflex at all, and only a little bit of squinting. Fascinatingly the hexagon microlenses were clearly visible in the after-spots. The M60 full power even with light adapted eyes will make me jerk away with solid blue spot in my eyes for a minute or two.

The only thing I'm worried about is outdoor throw, and not so much with this module, but with a full power M60/30. That was the big reason I grabbed the wlf instead of the wl. Beamshots are great and all but seeing the flood optic firsthand is the best way to experience it. As it is I'm worried it may be a bit too dispersed to reach out where I need it, but daylight testing is always decieving. While I could get the non flood and use a low diffusion filter of some sort, I'd rather not. There's something nice about having a light do it's job just the right way without any sort of filtering. I'll post my impressions after it gets dark, maybe some beamshots too.

carrot

Flashaholic
Beamshots, anyone? Color and brightness accuracy of the beamshot do not concern me, just want to see how the beam pattern is.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
wlfm60beampattern.jpg

Side by side, M60wlf and M60 at around 4 feet from the wall. Note that the M60's central hotspot looks a little smaller in person due to the camera overexposure, it's about 75% smaller than in the picture. At 10 feet the outer "edge" of both beams will cover an 8 foot wall easily. The center hotspot on the M60 will be just over a foot in diameter, and the wlf will be around 6-10 feet, due to there being no easily defined edge to it.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/216691

At the bottom I've posted some outdoor beamshots. I recommend comparing the HDR shots as they're more true to what you see in real life. The WLF and M60 were both aimed at the same location, you can see the huge reach disadvantage the flood optic has, though part of it is also the 120 lumen deficit between the two.

*edit: ignore the slight non-symmetric beams, that's because I was holding both flashlights in one hand at a bit of an angle to take a quick shot.

Last edited:

RayG

Newly Enlightened
The F also midigates the 'Blinding part'.

I have an M60, and last night received an M60WF from Gene. The comment I wanted to make was that "blindingly bright" needs to be qualified as to whether you are holding the light or are at the receiving end. Sure the M60 is bright, and will "blind" a target IF you are correct in estimating where his eyes are in the dark before you shine the light. Within 10-15 feet, just shining the F in that general direction will have him seeing spots. More effective, especially when you are under stress, not to mention what has been said/alluded to re room clearing.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can't tell, I love mine :) The white wall shot was set to 4300k, and at least on my monitor the colors look exactly the way they do in person.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
After following several threads re the M60 vs the flood in various other Malkoff offings, my thought are that the flood should be used with the highest M60 level offered, the M60F, or M60WF to take advantage of the flood and to have some lumens put down range. I am considering the M60WF, or M60F with AW's soft start, low, medium, high tailswitch mod for the P, C, M series. Don't need the soft start with LEDs, but the the three levels is attractive. Just some thoughts.

Bill

JJay03

Newly Enlightened
I just got the m60wlf today its nice but I dont think I want it to be in the light I carry. Think I might stick it in a g2 and use it for a general purpose light. Prob put the m60 in my 6PD and get something even brighter for the 9P maybe a MC-E.