Malkoff M61 / M61N as Do-it-all lights

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
It's either bc of quads or skinny jeans…but an MD2 is a thick light that becomes a chore carrying in my pocket. Even the VME head is noticeable.

It's fine in my holster though.

I guess I've become soft from carrying smaller lights

The only thing I don't like about the md2 is the pocket clip option that screws down with the tailcap makes a lot of the light stick way out of pocket. It does make for a very solid clip at least.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to say that the M91 has become my go to lately. The M91BN for dog walking in an MD3, plenty of light on low and if needed, high packs quite a punch. Surprisingly enough the flip side of this is an M91T in an MD1.5. On low it's great around the house at night, and outside if needed it's pretty impressive on high.

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but for those of you who have ran the m91b on a single lithium, how low is the low with the high low ring? Hypothetically, if I were to throw an m91bw in an MD1 on an 18350 would the low be brighter than when I have in an m61w or an m61wll?

@greatscoot I've been running my M61T in an MD3. It puts the low at a sweet output level, but the beam becomes quite searing due to the tightly focused optic; as compared to the low output on 4.2v, which I find easier on the eyes but lacking in spill and somewhat limited in utility. I imagine the M91BN has a more pleasing beam profile for a similar output [on low].You're using the M91T on low--is the beam profile similar to the M61T with the tight hotspot and square corona and almost no spill?

While I've been amazed with the M61T, if I'm compromising by only carrying one light, I'm finding myself wanting a beam profile more like the standard M61. I'm feeling validated by what you all are sharing.

Last edited:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
@greatscoot I've been running my M61T in an MD3. It puts the low at a sweet output level, but the beam becomes quite searing due to the tightly focused optic; as compared to the low output on 4.2v, which I find easier on the eyes but lacking in spill and somewhat limited in utility. I imagine the M91BN has a more pleasing beam profile for a similar output [on low].You're using the M91T on low--is the beam profile similar to the M61T with the tight hotspot and square corona and almost no spill?

While I've been amazed with the M61T, if I'm compromising by only carrying one light, I'm finding myself wanting a beam profile more like the standard M61. I'm feeling validated by what you all are sharing.
Yes, using the M91T on low (with a single battery) the beam profile is similar to the M61T. To me this is what makes it a good bedside light, not really too bright and a very small beam pattern. With the standard M91B you do get more spill.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kernels, were you just making a crack or are you saying that the newer M61s share the same driver?
I was just responding to the post saying the M61 is obsolete because of the M91BN.
Today the only one still available to purchase is the M61

I would think the drivers are different.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Malkoff M61W -- my own personal preference. Have several of them. 400 lumens, fairly long life before the battery tanks (well over 2hrs), for a brighter light. Bright enough for a defensive light or walks, but not overpowering for house/car hunting.

It's a bit too bright for close-up work, but I've got a couple of older M60LL lights that are for that.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I like how the warms look outside but only close up. Farther away I feel like I end up straining to see clearly. Hoping the M61N series is the right balance.

Warm tints seem to give me the most visibility but outdoors the m61w and m61n appear the same at distance visibility. Maybe your eyes will pick it up differently though.

Interesting. I'm tempted by the W stuff but worry that the tint would limit its usefulness

Nothing against the n's but w's are the best. Especially my M31W that's a little rosy. Beautiful tint on that one.

Last edited:

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Interesting. I'm tempted by the W stuff but worry that the tint would limit its usefulness

I don't find it limiting, per se. Though, as some have suggested (here and elsewhere), in some conditions it can appear somewhat less sharp. I like the clarity within ~20 yards. For me, it's a decent defensive and walking light. If I wanted something with more throw and sharper clarity at distance then I'd almost certainly opt for one of the neutral lights with far more output, perhaps one of the "throwers." For a single light, IMO, it's not a bad choice.

I'm just going to have to try them all! I'd like for a warm tint to work for me as an all-arounder but it's hard to know without trying it first. Might end up ordering an M61 in each tint and just seeing which one sticks!

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just going to have to try them all! I'd like for a warm tint to work for me as an all-arounder but it's hard to know without trying it first. Might end up ordering an M61 in each tint and just seeing which one sticks!

You'll find that each tint excels in a certain environment.
That's how you begin to irrationally justify owning all of them. Lol

I had a warm HCRI light the other day...I couldn't see the detail I needed to see up close.
I brought out the cool low CRI light and could see vivid contrast I needed to see.
But no doubt the warm is more pleasant.

I go back to what I mentioned before....operating room lights are pure white.
If cool was inferior, it wouldn't be in there.

I've got 2700K 219b in the mail...so I like them all.

Last edited:
I hear you. I've been toying with the idea of a Pelican case with cutouts for an M61 MD3, M61L MD3, M61LL MD2, etc., each with alternate heads next to it for N and W tints.
Because it's fun having a variety and nice to know you could break a few (if you ever could) and still have a few more.

But I also find satisfaction in using just one light for almost everything, not because it's the best one for each task specifically but it's the one that's there and it's good enough. You can rely on it to do the same thing every time. It becomes a companion. Rather than pulling out a handful of different tools all the time, you learn how to use the one tool a handful of different ways.

For me, it's hard to only own a single one, but even if I had all the lights on my wishlist I'd still probably end up with the same one in my pocket all the time. It's funny, though, that when I start a thread deciding between CW and N M61s, I end up wanting a W as well!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like how the warms look outside but only close up. Farther away I feel like I end up straining to see clearly. Hoping the M61N series is the right balance.
I tried an NL next to a WL shining on red bricks on my neighbors house 75+/- feet away, then a neighbors gray trash can 100+/- feet away, then some bushes at that distance and in both cases could tell what object I was looking at, but with the NL I could distinguish details better. This was a few years back when Gene used XP-G2.

For clarity I prefer a cool beam for that reason but felt like the NL is a great comprimise between the relaxed state the W produces versus the intensity of the cool beam.