Maratac AAA Q5 (Part 4)

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Copper Maratac AAA

That thing is BEAUTIFUL! And expensive :(

Also, the price went up-- it was $48.50 earlier today, now $59.50. An $11.00 jump. Ouch.

Worse yet, the shipping cost goes up quite a bit because of their $50.00 threshhold.

Not the right place for jeers, but: Jeers.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Hmm, there's a copper version now: http://countycomm.com/AAAcopper.html

Anyone know how well copper would dissipate heat compared to aluminum?

according to this CHART copper is not quite twice as good at conducting heat as aluminum (401 vs 250). The reason aluminum is used is mainly cost and copper is harder thus requires more to manufacture than aluminum that is why it is used so often. Older radiators in cars had all copper cores with aluminum fins then later they got cheaper and used more aluminum and even plastic where they could. silver is slightly better than copper at heat conduction, but at only about 5% better (429 vs 401) the extra cost and oxidation problems with silver make it not economically worth it in most cases. Gold is better than aluminum but only 75% as good as copper (310 vs 401). surprisingly stainless steel is rather low (16) but used because it is very durable. I have an LD01-SS that works fine but I wouldn't drive an LED too hard using only stainless as heatsinking. I would bet most stainless lights have copper heatsinks inside them primarily otherwise mounting an LED on an SS pad wouldn't be even as good as a standard steel one at all (43).

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow - great post, Lynx_Arc! :thumbsup:

And *doh*, I didn't even think about the usage of copper around me in wiring, piping, and my aftermarket cpu cooler! heh

MKLight

Enlightened
Re: Copper Maratac AAA

Hmm, there's a copper version now: http://countycomm.com/AAAcopper.html

Anyone know how well copper would dissipate heat compared to aluminum?

It also now says it starts from low-medium-high. It has an introductory price of $48.50. Interesting...

That thing is BEAUTIFUL! And expensive :(

Also, the price went up-- it was $48.50 earlier today, now $59.50. An $11.00 jump. Ouch.

Worse yet, the shipping cost goes up quite a bit because of their $50.00 threshhold.

Not the right place for jeers, but: Jeers.

You're right...Really ouch...20% jump in the "introductory" price in 12 hours time...Cost seems high when compared to Peak's brass collection. I wonder what the difference is in heatsinking of copper compared with brass. Like County Comm says...it probably is the only copper light out there...now will ITP make it in their versions...?

EDIT: Just some random thoughts - Per Linx's Chart, brass is at 109. So would that mean you shouldn't feel any heat? How often would it need to be polished? Tarnished copper isn't as nice looking as polished copper...Still an interesting option...It's always good to see innovation! :twothumbs

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Now this looks pretty slick. Having low come up first makes me interested, too. I guess the finish would age to that "old penny" look.

Geoff

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flashlight's copper construction should make it easy to solder the pocket clip and/or lanyard clip on. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
I should have one in hand in a couple of days, so I'll post some pictures or a video as soon as I get it.

I'll do some temperature tests while running on 10440's so we'll give it a real workout. :)

sjmack

Newly Enlightened
I should have one in hand in a couple of days, so I'll post some pictures or a video as soon as I get it.

I'll do some temperature tests while running on 10440's so we'll give it a real workout. :)

I look forward to it. At 38$, its just that much more endearing...

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking forward to that...:thumbsup:

Nebuchadnezzar

Newly Enlightened
I've been waffling for a long time on picking up a Maratac AAA, the copper version pushed me over the edge. Not only is it beautiful but the low to high UI is perfect for my uses.

My main concern is tarnish, from what I've gleaned from these threads the heads breaking off is from people trying to disassemble them.

I'll get some pics up when it gets here.

Patriot

Flashaholic
My main concern is tarnish, from what I've gleaned from these threads the heads breaking off is from people trying to disassemble them.

Congrats on your new light. I won't have mine until tomorrow.

Some of the heads broke because people were trying to disassemble them and I was informed that a few others had broke because they were slightly out of spec and too thin. CC became aware of the problem early on and quickly fixed it.

Picture passed along to me by Nick at CC.....
Copper.jpg

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend I bought a polished SS unit for. He says that will not turn off sometimes unless he really unscrews the head a long ways??

Patriot

Flashaholic
Just opened up my CC package and started checking out my new copper light a few minutes ago. Wow....is it ever purdy. It's not switching on to high perfectly each time so perhaps I just need to clean the threads. The output looks excellent and on par with the my other Maratac AAAs. The head seems to heat up rapidly when I run it on high, so I guess the copper is doing its job.

MaratacCopper001p.jpg

More later...........................

[COLOR=Red][B]UPDATE[/B][/COLOR]
Posted the video review here........ [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uXt1vOmzZk&feature=player_embedded[/url]

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it truly Low/medium/high? Have they finally decided to do the obvious.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Looks like a happy family there, Patriot. Can you confirm that the level sequence is L-M-H? Thanks.

Geoff

Yes it sure is! :)

Beacon of Light
Is it truly Low/medium/high? Have they finally decided to do the obvious.
Sure is and I might add that they actually started doing this a long time ago with the AA light.