Maratac AAA Q5 (Part 4)

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
I think that even with a thin coating of lacquer, the copper would still dissipate heat better than aluminum, but I don't know.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must... resist... my 4th Maratac AAA... must try....

ugh... Copper... so... gorgeous... such a cool metal... want to put it on my keychain... yet my QMini 123 is so perfect in Ti...

Help me, CPF friends! You're my only hope!

sabre7

Enlightened
Just wondering about the conductivity of the copper when it eventually turns brown with oxidation like a penny... will that affect the operation, and will the contact area at the end of the tube and/or threads always need to be kept shiny?

rumack

Enlightened
Must... resist... my 4th Maratac AAA... must try....

ugh... Copper... so... gorgeous... such a cool metal... want to put it on my keychain... yet my QMini 123 is so perfect in Ti...

Help me, CPF friends! You're my only hope!

You're looking to a bunch of flashlight geeks for help in not buying a sweet looking solid copper flashlight? You chose ... poorly. :devil:

My concern would be the tint. I seem to remember a lot of people saying they got the angry blue tint with their aluminum or stainless Maratac AAA, but that might have just been the usual tint lottery issues. Too bad these aren't a guaranteed tint like, say, neutral white. :D

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're looking to a bunch of flashlight geeks for help in not buying a sweet looking solid copper flashlight? You chose ... poorly. :devil:

My concern would be the tint. I seem to remember a lot of people saying they got the angry blue tint with their aluminum or stainless Maratac AAA, but that might have just been the usual tint lottery issues. Too bad these aren't a guaranteed tint like, say, neutral white. :D

Methinks I doth protest too much...:naughty:

Patriot

Flashaholic
My concern would be the tint. I seem to remember a lot of people saying they got the angry blue tint with their aluminum or stainless Maratac AAA, but that might have just been the usual tint lottery issues.

Going back in memory I don't remember tint being one of the complaints associated with the AAA. They're using the well sorted out XP-E and have since the beginning. There was grumbling about CC's shipping cost and the key ring attachment strength but that's about it. :)

Update: I cleaned the threads and head with a bit of white gas and re-lubed everything, which has taken care of the minor mode selection issues I ran into.

Nebuchadnezzar

Newly Enlightened
IMG-0374.jpg

IMG-0383.jpg

IMG-0375.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nebuchadnezzar, those are nice close macro's. Just a reminder, the maximum allowed image size is 800x800 so you'll want to size those down a little bit. :)

How are you liking your new light?

Nebuchadnezzar

Newly Enlightened
Fixed, sorry didn't remember that rule.

It's a great little light, if only the SS models were low-med-hi I would of bought several by now.

Here's a size comparison shot with a Lighthound freebie and a .45 Golden Saber.

marataccu.jpg

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
Fixed, sorry didn't remember that rule.

It's a great little light, if only the SS models were low-med-hi I would of bought several by now.

Here's a size comparison shot with a Lighthound freebie and a .45 Golden Saber.

marataccu.jpg

Thanks, that's a good shot. I had always thought they looked larger than the ITP, but it's more the styling I think.

Need to pick a couple of these up. Sweet little light & love the solid copper.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone else have this problem? Its driving me insane. My regular aaa works flawlessly, but if I put the regular head on the copper body, I have the same issue of it skipping modes (or not changing modes at all).

Yes mine does this also.

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
Just got a copper and a nat. alum. AAA Maratac and the copper was more difficult to change modes. After some use it's better. I did notice that I had to twist it a little farther to get consistent mode changes. Also have to twist it on tighter, which makes one hand mode changes a little more difficult.

I checked function by using both hands and being deliberate in twisting it a little farther than necessary. Since everything worked doing this, I'm confident mine just needs some use and a little clean/lube to slick up the action.

I hope we'll see more copper lights in the future.