Maratac AAA Q5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. kydex

Newly Enlightened
Argh. I hope there isn't a problem with these lights. I want to order a couple more.

I like this light so much I took it to work last nite and didn't TOUCH my Surefire LX2 all night. It looks like I've got a new daily EDC...

Well, TBH it's hard to tell if it's just the tint that makes it seem dimmer. It could just be the tint.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
couldn't help it. ordered 2. one for myself, one for a gift. at this price my expectations are low. i'm sure i'll be well satisfied like most.
the new benchmark in aaa pricing :D

R Lewis

Newly Enlightened
I received mine last week. For $20 it's hard to beat. Plan to buy a couple more to keep in my different bags.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post 146, the seller said 10440 can be used ok.

Well actually; The poster said "just called CountyComm and asked." the poster said the seller said: "It takes a cell up to 3.6v" and the poster said: "(so 10440 cells work fine), and you get extra brightness out the front."

A 10440 is up to ~4.2V off the charger, so is that too much? Also depending on how the light is regulated, the extra voltage if compatible, may or may not provide extra brightness... (with this small light it probably will if it works at all but it probably wouldn't be regulated)... so I'm waiting for the runtime tests.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have really thought about using a 10440 in mine however before doing so I would like to know how well this light does with heat. I can not as of yet find a way to get the circuit out and see how this thing is put together.....thus I can not see how they have done the heat sinking as well.

Mine gets fairly "warm" after a few minutes on high however it does not seem to get as hot as what I would expect. This may mean it is not making a huge amount of current on high however it could also mean it is not heat sinked as well as it could be??

If anything it is most likely a 10440 would throw it into direct drive however again I know nothing of how this circuit works. Most small AAA lights using a 10440 will make plenty of heat and heat will kill the circuit, or emitter, just as easy as the extra voltage.

I have tried to look into the bezel with a magnifying lens and it looks like the circuit may be "crimped" down somehow. I have used filed down needle nose pliars to try and screw it out from the rear with no luck. It may be designed to be a permanent set up however if so I am happy with the light as is for now.

Has anyone else ran theirs on high for long enough to see if the body gets warm? Or better yet has anyone else been able to get the circuit out?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I'll be trying to get the circuit out without killing it as soon as mine arrives.

From your post I am thinking that it really isn't heatsinked well enough for regular 10440 use, several minutes on at a time -on high. We shall see soon enough.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've got 2 more on the way. One for my dad and another for me, but maybe I'll give it to the fiance'. I hope there are no big brightness variations with them as some people have reported....

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could not take it anymore and had to order one of each today along with some other items I'm sure I will never use from CC.

bob4apple

Enlightened
I ordered the Maratac 9290 AA light two days ago. It arrived about 20 minutes ago. I think it is made by Olight. My initial impression of this light is very positive. Great anodizing. It uses the Olight infinium adjustment from 6 to 190.

I will have to order the AAA. If it is even close to the 9290 in quality it will be well worth the price.
A little OT: but I think that one is a rebranded iTP. I'm not sure if we know who is behind the manufacturing of that line, they might have connections with OLight. There are a lot of connections, we really don't know about.

Tell me about it- it seems that Tenergy also rebrands iTP. They have a bunch of them for sale at all-battery.com.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was about to order one, but for $8 S&H for the world's smallest AAA flashlight I think I'll pass. I'm trying to stop buying XR-E based flashlights anyway. These small lights could perform better with XP-E's, etc.

tbenedict

Enlightened
Was about to order one, but for $8 S&H for the world's smallest AAA flashlight I think I'll pass. I'm trying to stop buying XR-E based flashlights anyway. These small lights could perform better with XP-E's, etc.

I'm still a newb, but I thought a prior post confirmed it was a XP-E.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is an XP-E, so now you have to buy one. :)

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
My Maratacs should arrive tomorrow.

I like flashlights a lot, but I'm still a newbie when it comes to all the battery choices and technical jargon used here. What kind of batteries are recommended to provide the best performance for these (without mods or overdriving it, etc.), when used as an EDC keychain light? Do I need to worry about leakage using alkaline?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Maratacs should arrive tomorrow.

I like flashlights a lot, but I'm still a newbie when it comes to all the battery choices and technical jargon used here. What kind of batteries are recommended to provide the best performance for these (without mods or overdriving it, etc.), when used as an EDC keychain light? Do I need to worry about leakage using alkaline?

Use NiMH or Lithium (not Li-ion) for best performance.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya know, $8 may sound steep, but I've been shipping a lot of stuff lately and it is surprisingly expensive - much more so than a few years ago. Add the time and materials costs (which are real) and I'm not inclined to fault CC.

gorn

Enlightened

Tell me about it- it seems that Tenergy also rebrands iTP. They have a bunch of them for sale at all-battery.com.

The Maratac AA is a rebranded iTP. There is an iTP etch on the PC board. I don't know what their relationship is with Olight but both the Maratac AA and my titanium Olight have the same interface.

The Maratac AA is top notch.

bfly

Newly Enlightened
The Maratac AA is a rebranded iTP. There is an iTP etch on the PC board. I don't know what their relationship is with Olight but both the Maratac AA and my titanium Olight have the same interface.

The Maratac AA is top notch.

Nice call - the iTP A3 EOS:

2009719234758303.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.