Maratac AAA Q5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I will have my 2nd order in a few days and as usual purchased several other items to make up for shipping. I can not give much on the tint as I only have one unit however mine is fairly cool with a touch of a creamy tint.

After using this light for a week I will say the size still amazes me and the knurling is pretty nicely done also. One hand operation is simple and it feels good in the pants pocket due to its very small size.

I am very impressed with the simple solution for the lanyard ring/pocket clip. Both are easy to remove however they kind of compliment each other with the lanyard locking into the pocket clip.....you will have to handle one to see what I mean however it is perfectly simple and effective.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
CPF is going to make me broke. Anyone here have info on regulation? Maybe soon we will have one of those runtime charts.

scott

Enlightened
Is the clip reversible? The only reason I like a clip on a AAA light is so that I can clip it to the bill of a ball cap. In all the photos I've seen, the clip is attached to the wrong end for using as a head lamp.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have no way of doing a runtime chart nor do I know how well this light runs in regulation (if at all) however I did let mine run down to almost nothing.

I have left my light running in low mode every night for about 4 nights as I go to sleep. I sleep about 7 hours each night so a rough estimate is to say 4 nights at 7 hours each is 28 hours. I did notice after the 4th night I woke up to find the light flashing a very slow strobe mode. I assume this is some type of warning that the cell is too low. The battery used was a rechargeable Hybrid that showed 1.38V the first night.

After I removed the battery the 4th night it showed .85V however would still power up the light. At .85V I had all levels however the medium and high looked to be the same level with low being the same. It would only power for a few seconds at medium before it grew much more dim. I could not duplicate the flashing so I have no idea what it is for???

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the clip does seem reversible.

Strangely, my natural is noticeably dimmer than my black unit. Both are still plenty bright with a creamy disposition. :D

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the clip reversible? The only reason I like a clip on a AAA light is so that I can clip it to the bill of a ball cap. In all the photos I've seen, the clip is attached to the wrong end for using as a head lamp.

Yes the clip does seem reversible.

While the clip is reversible, it can't be clipped to the head for deep carry with Bezel up (I suppose you could try stretching the clip). When reversed such that it is placed on the opposit end of the tube the clip contacts the high point of the tail ring. I suppose that's ok. So for clipping to a cap the reversing is probably OK, but maybe less so for carry as it become a mid-mounted clip which I personally don't find very nice.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I'm no longer seeing ole's post, nor my reply regarding his maratac issue... I'll assume that means he was taken care of!

:twothumbs

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered 2, 1 of each color.

If they could make it take 10440 to have a higher mode, better keyring attachment, a SS flat bezel, and priced it $50 I'd still buy it.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Well poop, I ordered 1 in Nat. It was the XP-E that did it. Now can we access the emitter? I want to take up the room around the emitter with V10 glow powder ASAP!

I had the fortitude to only add 100ft of ACU 550 cord to my order. It was really tough!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have this light and an Arc AAA (old version) to compare it to for size, length and diameter? My LOD was tried for awhile on keychain duty, but it was a bit to large vs the Arc.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Took the plunge and ordered a couple blacks. My son needs a new light. Whether he actually uses it is another thing. Almost ordered up another E01, since they're on sale for $12, but that pushed shipping up, kind of nullifying the good deal.

Geoff

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ended up ordering more of other stuff than just the maratac aaa: sporks, P51 P38 can openers, 550 paracords, foldable razor, emergency whistle, cable keyring and fire starter.

I know these will never be used, but its good to keep them ready.

bfly

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have this light and an Arc AAA (old version) to compare it to for size, length and diameter? My LOD was tried for awhile on keychain duty, but it was a bit to large vs the Arc.

Here is a crappy photo of the two next to each other. I don't have a caliper around but I would say the Maratac is slightly larger in diameter and shorter than the Arc.

IMG_0066.jpg

bfuly88

Mr. kydex

Newly Enlightened
Mine just arrived today! :party:

My black MAAA (Maratac AAA) is noticeably dimmer than my natural one. Also, the reflector in my black [version] is different from the reflector in my natural. In the black one it's smoother, less fine orange peeling (Peeling?). In the natural it has finer, closer together orange peeling. Has anyone else with multiple MAAA's noticed this? I'll try to post a pic, It'll be much easier to explain that way.

BTW, the LED's (the dies?) are off center in both lights, but it is quite far off in the black light. Not really sure how much this matters. FWIW the beam (in the black finish) is not as smooth and artifact-free as the natural finish MAAA.

Don't get me wrong, I really like these things (lights), Ought to be a great, Tiny, EDC light. Just can't wait for it to get dark to do some real testing.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My black MAAA (Maratac AAA) is noticeably dimmer than my natural one.

Argh. I hope there isn't a problem with these lights. I want to order a couple more.

I like this light so much I took it to work last nite and didn't TOUCH my Surefire LX2 all night. It looks like I've got a new daily EDC...

Status
Not open for further replies.