Massive snowstorm in CO, local CPFers check in

luigi

Enlightened
I lived in Westminster (near Denver and Broomfield) for a year, and enjoyed enormously, every single snowless December here I think how wonderful it would be to be back in Colorado.

My best hopes to all the people in the area, blizzards can be fun and dangerous at the same time, be careful and post your stories.

Luigi

PS: If you are going to be trapped in an airport Denver is not so bad, after all it has an alien base below it doesn't it? :)

MikeF

Enlightened
Rayne said:
I heard Denver airport is shut down too. Hopefully nobody misses Christmas!

I was at DIA all morning, and at 11:49am as I was leaving the first plane since air operations ceased took off. It was a FEDEX cargo jet, so hopefully the Santa items on board will arrive on time. They opened two runways, and annother runway opened a few minutes ago. There are massive delays, and the folks that we spoke to were very hopeful, but I am afraid a lot of peolpe will be spending another night or two on the cold hard floors at DIA. There was a 9 year old boy that was traveling alone, that was missing for a while when the airline he was traveling with lost track of him, but he was found safely in the food court.

MikeF

Enlightened
They are forecasting another storm for Thursday-Friday. I still have about 12 inches of snow on my front lawn, and piles 3-4 feet tall where we cleared the sidewalks and driveway. Lots of melting the last couple of afternoons, but then a thin layer of ice all over the sidewalk. I have been shoveling with my son, and I am so glad that my shovel assisted "cardiac stress test" has been a big sucess! No chest pain, a good sweat and workoput, and a wonderful night's sleep.

:grin2:

MikeF

Enlightened
Here comes the second half of the TWIN BLIZZARDS of 2006. It started snowing lightly around 10:30am MST, and it is forecasted to give us 9-18" additional snow on top of the 20.7 inches at Denver International Airport, official snowfall from last week. As of 2:00pm MST, both United and Frontier Airlines have started cancelling flights. Most schools are already closed for Christmas Holiday, so the kids are going stir-crazy. My 12-yo son Tyler would have had several snow days off from school, but he is on break! His Christmas break included several sessions of some serious snow shoveling! I am really worried about him because he has been getting along with his sister Shannon, who is home from college.

The last trash pickup we had was 12/14/06, and it will probably shut down DIA very soon. USPS Fedex, DHL, and UPS have large hubs here, and UPS shot themselves in the foot when they shutdown Thursday the 21st, and didn't deliver again until 12/26/06. Fedex and USPS both delivered Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, Christmas Day. I-70 has been closed in both directions at Georgetown, and the mountains are forecasted to get an additional 18-30 inches of snow within the next 24 hours.

I have to be in for work at 3:00 am tommorow since my normal shift is 3:00am-12:00 Noon.

A statement issued by the NWS on Thursday morning said:

"A winter storm warning is in effect from the Continental Divide east across the Northeastern Colorado Plains. Snow will develop in and near the mountains by Thursday afternoon and on the plains by Thursday evening.

More info here, at the station where I work:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com

Some Photos:

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
wonder when it will all get to me in southwest kansas? right now the roads are getting bad and it is raining/sprinkling.

thanks for updating us!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
As with your last blizzard, it's too bad half of that can't make it to Wisconsin. It's 39F here on the shore of Lake Michigan and all we get is rain. I wanna skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

MikeF

Enlightened
We got another 9 to 12 inches from Friday morning until Saturday morning in Denver. The official snowfall for Denver, at the old Stapleton Airport site for the 12/20-21/2006 storm was 20.7 inches, and the official total for December was 29.4 inches, so the second storm provided 8.7 inches. For the season, we have gotten 43.6 inches so far.

Here is some data from the National Weather Service:
.................................SNOWFALL.............. SNOWFALL
.................................MONTHLY TOTAL...... SEASONAL TOTAL
.................................(DECEMBER)............ (7/1/06-6/30/07)
DENVER-STAPLETON..... 29.4...................... 43.6
EVERGREEN................. 50.8...................... 83.6
NORTH LONGMONT....... 31.1...................... 43.2
RALSTON RESERVOIR.... 39.0...................... 58.0
WHEAT RIDGE............. 43.2...................... 66.4

Denver-Stapleton is in Northeast Denver at about 5,300 feet ASL, Evergreen is in the Front Range at about 7,100 feet ASL, North Longmont is Northwest of Denver at about 4,950 feet ASL, Ralston Resevoir is adjacent to the old Rocky Flats atomic bomb trigger plant at about 6.000 feet ASL, and Wheat Ridge is adjacent to Denver at about 5,400 feet ASL.

My house where I took these photos this morning is at about 5,400 feet ASL. We haven't had trash pickup since 12/14/06, due to Christmas and the storms. There was a trash truck that came down our street on Friday, and picked up 1 dumpster out of 15 that were out in the street. Fortunately, it is cold so the trash dosen't reek yet, but they won't be back until January 5th. My wife and kids were outside when the trash truck came by, and he said it wasn't close enough to the packed snow rut that goes down the middle of the street to be picked up. The trash can will have to be 5-6 feet into the street to be close enough to the rut to be picked up. This is in contrast to the info on the web site stating that trash cans should be in their regular locations for pickup. If you don't have four-wheel drive, it is difficult to get around, and it will be for a month or so due to the lack of snow removal. Most of the main roads are passable, but there are lanes that abruptly end in snow mounds, and sudden blockages. During the day, when the snow softens, and the accumulation could be pushed aside to open more lanes, there are no plows working on Denver City streets. When you go into the neighborhoods, the streets are single lane, with soft deep snow on the sides and many cars that haven't moved since 12/21/06. The state highways, maintained by CDOT are in much better shape, although they still haven't opened Interstae 70 East of Aurora, from Airpark Road, into Kansas. The last winter I remember that will have had snow still on the streets as long as these storms will remain behind was the Christmas Blizzard of 1982. My wife and I have 4x4, to get around, and snow shovels are essential to dig out from the inevitable soft spot when you have to pull off the packed snow/ice that is down the middle of residential streets.

More pics:

Last edited:

Latest posts