Master thread for disasters and generators.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

Picked up on-sale refurbished (ebay store) Ecoflow Delta 2 $479
Lifepo4 - 5 year warranty like new units (Allstate warranty & Ecoflow warranty)
30 day free return shipping paid
1024wh / 1800w / Fast Charge 1200w / 27lbs
Ecoflow Delta 2.jpg

Ecoflow Delta 2 back.jpg

Ecoflow Delta 2 front.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link:

Ecoflow River 2
on sale for $109 with 5 Year warranty LIfepo4 256wh

Ecoflow River 2.jpg

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I just started my little Honda 2000 earlier today and let it run for about 20 minutes. Starts right up, purrs like a kitten, and sips fuel.

I've been thinking about getting a 2nd one. I think they are pretty easy to run in parallel. Has anyone tried that? If nothing else, could just use one for the 2 fridges / freezers, and the other one for other uses.

I've used mine mostly for camping. Hardly ever need it for an emergency outage, but with the state of the world and our country & border right now, the possibility of a prolonged outage is probably greater than it's ever been in my lifetime.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on Lips....Go for the Delta Pro Ultra! You know you want it!

I thought about it! I have 4 x 3 ton ac's I need to run one at a time. Power rarely goes off but the 2020 hurricanes knocked me out for a week two times. Looking at the new Tri-Fuel 15kw units coming out fairly soon as I have cheap natural gas hookups all around...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I just started my little Honda 2000 earlier today and let it run for about 20 minutes. Starts right up, purrs like a kitten, and sips fuel.

I've been thinking about getting a 2nd one. I think they are pretty easy to run in parallel. Has anyone tried that? If nothing else, could just use one for the 2 fridges / freezers, and the other one for other uses.

I've used mine mostly for camping. Hardly ever need it for an emergency outage, but with the state of the world and our country & border right now, the possibility of a prolonged outage is probably greater than it's ever been in my lifetime.
Call me lazy, I like the No-brainer option.

Poppy

Flashaholic

Do you have a generator power inlet for your house? It would have to be able to handle 30amps if you go the parallel scenario. If you backfeed your panel with an illegal suicide cord, your electrical outlets are probably rated at 20 amps, and with a 30amp supply from the generator, you could feasibly overload the 20 amp line in the wall.

If you run extension cords and used the parallel option 30amps, you'd have to get a 30 amp capable 10guage wire extension cord to bring the power into the house, and then run extension cords from it to wherever you need power.

IMO it's a good idea to have a backup genset. Regarding an extended power outage, you may be running only one generator so that you can conserve fuel. Or maybe run your second one intermittently to conserve fuel. Yeah, those little 2K inverter units are a Godsend compared to the 10 HP 5500 watt open frame generators, when you have to struggle to get fuel to feed them. Those bigger units may consume 15 gallons in a 24 hour period. Where is all the replacement gas going to come from?

EDIT: Sorry I didn't answer your question. I have seen videos of people hooking up the parallel kit, and it looks seamless.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Do you have a generator power inlet for your house?
No, I don't have any intentions of running the whole house, or running it to my breaker box. I just run the extension cords through the dryer vent and hook up surge protector / power strips, and run the essentials, when needed.

Yes, they sip fuel. I keep enough fuel saved up to probably get me through the first couple of months if a really bad long term event occurred. I keep fuel stabilizer in it, and cycle it through my vehicles at least once or twice per year, to keep it fresh.

I think a second one, and possibly the parallel kit, would be a wise investment.

Poppy

Flashaholic
If you completely disconnect the battery once the generator is running, and attach multimeter leads to the positive and negative cables coming from the generator, you'll know how much if any voltage is being sent to the battery to charge it. Probably good to know either way.
@scout24 we have up to 13 inches of snow predicted tonight into tomorrow, with up to 35mph winds. I guess you do too. I pulled my 3500 predator out and started her up. I tested the battery charge output, and it measured 14.1 volts.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Refurbished Ecoflow Delta 2 arrived...

Worried it might have come in all banged up. Came in Like-New condition with 5 year warranty as new!
Charged up at 1150 watts, very fast...

This model can take an extra 1Kw battery or a 2Kw Delta Max battery. Youtube has good videos of how to add regular LifePo4 batteries to the system thru the solar charging port to expand your reserves...

IMG_8415.JPG

TPA

Enlightened
Wow... I'm spoiled by my Honda EU2000s... Even my 60kW Onan wasn't that loud, although it was in a proper concrete room and was water cooled.

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
Wow... I'm spoiled by my Honda EU2000s... Even my 60kW Onan wasn't that loud, although it was in a proper concrete room and was water cooled.

Its really skewed on the camera, its not realistic at all. The mic on this camera is VERY sensitive

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
Refurbished Ecoflow Delta 2 arrived...

Worried it might have come in all banged up. Came in Like-New condition with 5 year warranty as new!
Charged up at 1150 watts, very fast...

This model can take an extra 1Kw battery or a 2Kw Delta Max battery. Youtube has good videos of how to add regular LifePo4 batteries to the system thru the solar charging port to expand your reserves...

How do you like it so far?

I really really want one, but I just don't have a use for one!

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you like it so far?

I really really want one, but I just don't have a use for one!

Nice, checked out your Utube channel. You have a really good power setup with backups. Next level Pro so you don't really need one! Maybe one like BVH has in post #1,697 for your 17kw solar panels.

The small Ecoflow came in handy for the first time a couple weeks ago when we got 10 inches of rain in a couple of days (North Louisiana). I'm 1.5 miles away from a bucket truck staging area so not usually worried to much about Entergy fixing outages. Power got knocked out for 30 hours and with all the rain and lightning they just didn't work on a downed pole near my house for safety reasons till the weather mostly cleared.

The small Ecoflow ran my sub-zero for 4 hours till I got my lazy butt up and started my generator the next day.

The small Ecoflows are good in that they 1. Charge up really fast at 1200w if you want them to (blue-tooth controlled) 2. Mobile at 27lbs or so; just grab and go 3. Very quiet.

No idea what knocked the pole down; maybe a lightning strike...
IMG_8538.JPG

Reactions: TPA

TPA

Enlightened
What's the procedure and cost for replacing batteries in those units? I've been curious about them, but also have had my share of battery failures with UPSs over the years, sometimes quite hot failures... and those were all lead-acids. I'd hate to imagine a similar failure with large lithiums.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Ecoflow Delta 2 was a refurbished unit with an Ebay-Alstate 2 year warranty-free shipping repair service, (on purchase, a 30 day any reason send it back on their nickle deal also). Register the product with Ecoflow and you get 3 additional years from the company for a full 5 year as new unit. I imagine you will have to do the pic/video trouble-shoot game...

Looks modular for changing parts and the Battery Compartment comes out whole. If mine breaks within 5 years I'm sending it back to them... Most new units they are making are all switching to LifePo4

Top Off ( Way upgraded from Delta 1 configuration in parts integration & connections and they are getting better with time)
Delta 2 Teardown.jpg

Delta 2 vs Delta 1
Delta 2 Teardown 1vs2.jpg

Delta 2 LifePo4 vs Delta 1 Lico cells. Integrated BMS on top of Delta 2 vs Delta 1 (LifePo4 is the best)
3000 cycles to 80% vs 800 cycles to 80%
Delta 2 Teardown Life vs Lico.jpg

Delta 2 battery with larger LifePo4 cells. Probably not serviceable except from a pro or the company.
Delta 2 Teardown B.jpg

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

If anyone is looking into getting a power station, get one that has MPPT type of charging,,, not PWM.
Huge difference in charging, charge time & efficiency.

It has to be one or the other, even on a power station.