Micro ATL Light

sunny_nites

Enlightened
In the section entitled "Output" in this review of the X-Light Micro it explains the UI.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/lri_xlight.htm

Flashlike - thanks for the link!

What I like best about the interface is that from the off setting, you can decide if you want the light to come on at full brightness or the dimmest setting without having to cycle through preset modes or try to remember what memory mode setting you left the light on.

Also, in the instructions that you will receive with your light, I've included an excerpt that goes over all the other strobe, timer, etc settings that this awesome little interface is capable of.

Still working on a quick video that goes over the quick high - low settings and how to ramp up and down for reference.

buddyrohr

Removed by his own request
beautiful job. i have no money and no hopes of ordering one but just wanted to say ive been enjoying your thread. one thing i could throw in there what about engine turned along with your other finishes? beautiful work, wish i could buy a few.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
beautiful job. i have no money and no hopes of ordering one but just wanted to say ive been enjoying your thread. one thing i could throw in there what about engine turned along with your other finishes? beautiful work, wish i could buy a few.

Thanks and glad you've been enjoying the build!

Engine turning would be sweet for sure. It would require a degree of artistic talent and machinery that I lack in equal measure but a heck of an idea and who knows what might be possible sometime down the road.

Believe me I definitely understand where your coming from when speaking about $$. I truly wish I could offer these at lower prices but the economics of scale just aren't there. And, although it might be hard to believe, even at the price I have these at, it's looking kind of iffy that I will break even. But I knew that going in and my goal was to make a custom light that I could be proud of and have fun doing it. I think I have accomplished that at least.

I put together a video of sorts, just shows the on/off and ramp up/ramp down capabilities of the controller. I apologize for the grainy quality, the camera doesn't like the low light but hopefully you will get the idea.

[video]http://vid818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/sunny_nites/P5060078_zps3j0guk4z.mp4[/video]

Last edited:

sunny_nites

Enlightened
First mechanically complete copper G4!!
P5070080_zpsjnrs0yjm.jpg

P5070087_zpsy9lvejuc.jpg

P5070081_zpso5hikt8b.jpg

Next to a G3 for comparison
P5070085_zps72slfidw.jpg

Have to get a better pic of the split ring attachment but this is the way the G4 will be and the G3 when I run out of this batch of lids
P5070086_zpscqqfcyhm.jpg

Thanks and stay tuned!

Attachments

• P5070080.JPG
    P5070080.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 65

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Ok, really sorry to keep teasing everyone with pics and I promise the sales link will be coming along very shortly but I just gotta say, WOW, copper polishes up nicely!!

P5070091_zps2zvhbxwz.jpg

P5070094_zps5epdmwkv.jpg

P5070088_zpsaqhxdoqz.jpg

P5070089_zpsgknma5du.jpg

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am INTO this light! Subscribed for updates and future sales thread.

Forgive me if I missed it, but any lumen estimates?

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Thanks and welcome aboard!

Forgive me if I missed it, but any lumen estimates?

The X-light micro specs show an output of 4.5 lumens plus.

I don't have a light meter to say definitively but with the two neutral Crees and the one warm Nichia that came in the donor, the light output definitely appears to be higher than the original configuration driving the single Nichia.

So maybe around 6 lumens?

That might not sound like a lot but it will really light up a dark room!

I hope you make some money on these

Thanks!

I think I will probably do alright over all. What I'm hoping is that I can make enough to invest in more and better equipment so I can keep developing and improving the lights.

Got my fingers crossed anyway!

Last edited:

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Ooo that copper looks tasty. What's the price difference between brass and copper?

The price for the copper blanks is close enough to the price of the brass blanks that copper Micro ATLs will just be the same price as the brass Micro ATLs.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Hi guys,

Another busy weekend and some updates!

No and sorry for about the bazillionth time; sales link not quite ready yet. Still waiting on some paperwork and putting some of the feedback I got from my long term testers (ie, local sales) as updates into the build. But coming very soon!

Copper G4 prototype complete and already showing some very nice patina:

96543e86-4f22-431a-8515-8e4fa20d9e28_zpsx7ggwjh4.jpg

P5080097_zpsu0xhrjwe.jpg

I got in some neutral Nichias the other day and finally had a chance to check them out. They are a bit cooler than the neutral Crees I have been using and at first I thought they were too cool. But the more I work with them the more I like them. The G4 prototype has the two very warm Nichias and the new cooler neutral Nichia.
Beam shot and what might be my new personal favorite color combination:

P5080107_zps5jpvxqgn.jpg

Also as a bonus, the Nichias really allow the locator beacon to shine through.
Comparison of a G3 with two neutral Crees and a moderately warm Nichia to a G4 with two very warm Nichias and a neutral Nicha. Both have the same blue LED and are being driven at the same level:
P5080100_zpsbdq6lewt.jpg

As far as brightness, both the neutral Nichia and neutral Crees are about equal. I'm not sure if the difference in how visible the beacon is, is because of a difference in the way the phosphor is formulated or something do do with the fact that the phosphor coating is higher up in the 5mm housing for the Nichia but the difference is very noticeable.

Some battery info: I charged this light up on March 10th and have been using it every day since as you would normally use a pocket or keychain light (ie, same as before, some high, some low, lots of fast strobe to annoy the kids, etc) and darn if the battery isnt still showing fully charged:
P5080095_zpsmwo2q7pl.jpg

I think these 240mah lipos are going to work out great!

Long term brass patina:
P5080101_zpskd3kklr6.jpg

P5080102_zpsry8ap7hc.jpg

P5080103_zpsvxbn1ou5.jpg

And last but not least; I re-did the video for the on/off/ramp up/ramp down. Much clearer this time. You can see the interference between the PWM and the refresh frequency of the camera at the lower settings but it is not visible to the naked eye:
[video]http://vid818.photobucket.com/albums/zz107/sunny_nites/P5080108_zpssnrmjs1g.mp4[/video]

Thanks and stay tuned!!

Last edited:

stingray3

Enlightened
Much better video sunny....I want to change to a G4 polished copper with standard LEDS please.

Latest posts