• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired More new services added!!! Interested in Mods?

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I have a gen 1 KL3 modded with TV1J Lux3 with 1300ma driver that runs in regulation from 6V-9V. I run it on a 3 cell body most of the time and have a 2 stage McC2S tailcap.

I would like to re-mod this head with a Cree XR-E. I'm guessing the driver at 1300ma would need to be changed but don't know that for sure. I would really like the light to run in regulation from 3.7V-9V and maintain the 2 stage functionality.

Is this something you could do? If so could you PM me with an estimate?

Thanks.

Jaybee64

Newly Enlightened
milkyspit said:
Jem, I want to say I didn't get the emails, but then again your name and that KL4/E1E sound familiar, so maybe I just screwed-up and lost your message? Sorry about that!
:ohgeez:

As to your question: the high and low beams are most definitely possible, though the strobe isn't something we could do with a simple tailcap mod... that's getting more into replacing the circuit board in the head of the light. If you wanna go for the high/low tailcap I could do the mod without having the KL4, but ideally I'd like to have it so I could test the finished product with the actual configuration you're going to use... that's the best way to make sure the low beam is set to the correct brightness and working properly.

PM me, please, if I can help! Sorry about the email snafu.

don't worry about it - PM sent.

Jem

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightedge said:
I have a gen 1 KL3 modded with TV1J Lux3 with 1300ma driver that runs in regulation from 6V-9V. I run it on a 3 cell body most of the time and have a 2 stage McC2S tailcap.

I would like to re-mod this head with a Cree XR-E. I'm guessing the driver at 1300ma would need to be changed but don't know that for sure. I would really like the light to run in regulation from 3.7V-9V and maintain the 2 stage functionality.

Is this something you could do? If so could you PM me with an estimate?

Thanks.

Lightedge, PM sent! :)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
PLT said:
Hi, Milky. Did you get my PM? Thanks.

PLT, I did... and replied... so you mean your SECOND PM, right? You'd asked some questions about brightness level by level by level that are pretty tough to answer so I'd put your PM aside until I might have enough time to do that research! I'll try to give you the best answer I can without that research, and hope we can move forward with that answer.

Please understand that it's not easy to get you all the information you wanted, and I don't get paid for ANY of the time I spend posting here, replying to PMs, taking photos, doing writeups about the builds, etc.; only for the builds themselves. And I'm trying to do this fulltime and scrape out some semblance of a living doing it. And I'm a big fat daddy now, with wife and three little kids who depend on me. I'd either need to start charging for time spent on correspondence (which seems ridiculous to me at the moment, I don't want to do that) or spend less time doing it... but still correspond enough to be in touch with everyone and try to help.

I'm an inherently helpful person by nature and really do enjoy hearing from everyone, and enjoy the communication. Heck, I've made some good friends through relationships that started with them ordering a build. I will admit that at times it can get a little overwhelming... all I ask is folks' understanding that I'm doing the best I can... and if you ask the tough questions, sometimes I'm just not going to have a ready answer even though I want so badly to offer one... but I won't lie to you, so I'd rather not answer at all than make up a load of (word for human solid waste product). :)

Hope this makes some sense as I feel like I'm rambling aimlessly. :ohgeez:

PLT

Newly Enlightened
Milky, I didn't mean to bother you on your time as I thought that you may have an answer to my questions already. If I would have known that you will have to do a research on it, I wouldn't have ask. Apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused you, Milky. I will paypal you for the light that we were discussing about as I know that it will be good. Thanks again.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
PLT said:
Milky, I didn't mean to bother you on your time as I thought that you may have an answer to my questions already. If I would have known that you will have to do a research on it, I wouldn't have ask. Apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused you, Milky. I will paypal you for the light that we were discussing about as I know that it will be good. Thanks again.

PLT, no worries... and I got the Paypal, thanks. :)