Move over SureFire, there is a new Beast in Town! ~500,000 lux@ 1 meter

ledpwr

Newly Enlightened
Re: Move over SureFire, there is a new Beast in Town!

I'm going to take another guess and say that it uses an UHP projector bulb (possibly that 50w one) powered by a 50w HID ballast like in those experements you were doing earlier.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm going to take another guess and say that it uses an UHP projector bulb (possibly that 50w one) powered by a 50w HID ballast like in those experements you were doing earlier.

You are a smart man & you have been reading :thumbsup:

The clues of the light engine were previous given out at a quite corner of CPF,
where I've been taking some risks for the greater benefits of CPF :)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...f-Running-UHP-shor-arc-lamp-using-HID-Ballast

The UHP lamp's built in reflector is not precise enough for long distance projection,
the focus is off a bit, but it still scored 750Klux. With the high precision Nighthunter II short arc reflector, I am hoping to break the 1 million beam candle power mark in a flashlight format :)

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice build Ma Sha! When are you going to bust out some beamshots???? :D

Shao

ledpwr

Newly Enlightened

You are a smart man & you have been reading :thumbsup:

The clues of the light engine were previous given out at a quite corner of CPF:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...f-Running-UHP-shor-arc-lamp-using-HID-Ballast

The UHP lamp's built in reflector is not precise enough for long distance projection,
the focus is off a bit, but it still scored 750Klux. With the high precision Nighthunter II short arc reflector, I am hoping to break the 1 million beam candle power mark in a flashlight format :)

So... what do I win :)
Looks like it will be a really powerful light when finished and it will still be relatively portable.
Sorry if I ruined your fun:nana:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

So... what do I win :)
Sorry if I ruined your fun:nana:

Yes you did, due to your "leak", now I am under pressure to hurry,
Still working on mounting the ballast for heat sinking...

You won some serious whooping :whoopin: :crackup:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Took the middle section out to install the ballast:
dscf9669.jpg

View from top. The 50W HID ballast has a Copper contact pad installed on each side, a Copper heat transfer bracket
Arctic silver glue down to the flashlight wall.
dscf9674j.jpg

View from Bottom opening.
Mag head thread section bored out by 3-4mms to sit the ballast deeper. Ballast opened up & rewired with pos. in the center. This type of HID 50W ballast always have pos. on the outside, I blew one up the 1st time around as they don't come with instructions.
dscf9679.jpg

Last edited:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sha,

You are without doubt the "Flashaholic Maine-iac".

I'll suggest a name for the light.... "The Bug Light Burner". Dubbed so since Sha is close to the Bug Light lighthouse in S. Portland. Any of his lights could easily re-direct shipping traffic into Portland harbour.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of the most tricky step, mounting of 120W UHP short arc lamp in place of the 20W Night hunter short arc lamp used to be & use the Nighthunter II reflector.

• I drilled a hole in the center but ended up breaking the lamp holder, pieced it back together thanks to JB weld.
  • With full face mask on (UHP lamp is higher pressure up to 700 PSI even when cold, accidentally breaking the lamp could be trouble, When running hot, its up to 3000 PSI or so, also emit high UV, risky business.), I extended the UHP lamp wire with a HID lamp wire.
  • Covered up the naked wire where the reflector would meet with a piece of the ceramic sleeve from HID lamp for electrical isolation.
  • Glued the ceramic sleeve to the bottom of lamp base using High temp exhaust putty.
  • Tied the weire around the lamp using the thin ti-down wire recycled from Nighthunter II lamp (NHII lamp is at bottom)
  • The reflector hole is bored out a bit using step-drill bit
dscf9683.jpg

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Although I'm not a modder, I really like your build threads - very interesting. :thumbsup:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Although I'm not a modder, I really like your build threads - very interesting. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Finally, finished up the light,
dscf9702.jpg

Hot spot Beam shot at various exposures
dscf9687.jpg

dscf9691n.jpg

dscf9692n.jpg

The lux come out ~ 500,000 lux @ 1 meter, It's still one of the highest lux ever recorded on a
flashlight, but it wasn't as high as I expected. But the bulb is not new & the 1.3mm Arc gap probably opened up up a bit, maybe 2mm or so just by looking at it. A new bulb or a 1.0mm UHP will significantly increase the lux. The UHP lamp with the built in reflector that scored 750K lux was a new lamp.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

"The Judge", are you referring to the demon appearing in the series Buffy The Vampire Slayer?
I like that name :)

I will be chopping some trees in my back yard this weekend, which will allow me to take 200ft beam shots w/o leaving home :)

Last edited:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will be chopping some trees in my back yard this weekend, which will allow me to take 200ft beam shorts w/o leaving home :)

Now THAT, gentlemen is dedication to our art.

"Honey, I'm chopping down thos trees over there."
"Why dear?"
"Beamshots, my dear, beamshots."

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now THAT, gentlemen is dedication to our art.

"Honey, I'm chopping down thos trees over there."
"Why dear?"
"Beamshots, my dear, beamshots."

:tsk: It's all about how you approach it:

"Honey, I found a way to stop peeling paints/burning holes in the family room wall..." :naughty:

Walterk

Enlightened

Great work! You keep finding materials to see what can be made of it. Whats next .... :)

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I still need to get back to work on the "secret project", keep getting side tracked by smaller projects,
still not figured out why the unstable arc from firing up the 260W P-VIP ballast.

Just bought another working 250W DLP projector on ebay, hope to get some time to tear it apart...

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

The lux come out ~ 500,000 lux @ 1 meter, It's still one of the highest lux ever recorded on a
flashlight, but it wasn't as high as I expected. But the bulb is not new & the 1.3mm Arc gap probably opened up up a bit, maybe 2mm or so just by looking at it. A new bulb or a 1.0mm UHP will significantly increase the lux. The UHP lamp with the built in reflector that scored 750K lux was a new lamp.

Sorry it didn't meet your expectations but 500K ain't too shabby. I'm sure you'll get it figured out.:thumbsup: