Movies you watch again and again?

TPA

Enlightened
If I could have only 3 movies to watch, they'd be:

Blazing Saddles
I had the privilege, and I do feel it was quite a privilege, of being able to see Blazing Saddles just a few years ago at the Tampa Theater, built in 1926. It's wild when every person in the room knows every single line. They also had a film professor give a lecture on the creation of the film and showed where the various elements came from.

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain (French)
This film is a rarity. I've heard people call it a romantic comedy, but I see it more as a whimsical fantasy film. The Amazon listings and even film trailer are wrong. The link I posted above goes to the real trailer on YouTube (turn captions on) Fortunately the English subtitles for the film are correct on Amazon. The first hour of the film is solely character development. The actual plot starts in the second hour. The level of detail in everything is amazing, especially when you watch it multiple times. Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a perfectionist, and it shows. A little-known secret: Many of the scenes from the film are actually taken from Jeunet's own life experiences. If you can watch this on Bluray on a quality TV, do it -- the cinematography absolutely pushes the technology.

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (Hindi)
It's a Bollywood romantic comedy... yes. there's the obligatory singing, dancing, and implausible plot, but it's cute and well done and is a beautiful story. The music's pretty good too. In many ways it's similar to my own relationship, which is probably why I like it so much.

Death at a Funeral (2008, UK version) as an honorable mention
UK version only. The USA remake was terrible. A very dark comedy with plot twists that even I wasn't anticipating.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could have only 3 movies to watch, they'd be:

Blazing Saddles
I had the privilege, and I do feel it was quite a privilege, of being able to see Blazing Saddles just a few years ago at the Tampa Theater, built in 1926. It's wild when every person in the room knows every single line. They also had a film professor give a lecture on the creation of the film and showed where the various elements came from.

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain (French)
This film is a rarity. I've heard people call it a romantic comedy, but I see it more as a whimsical fantasy film. The Amazon listings and even film trailer are wrong. The link I posted above goes to the real trailer on YouTube (turn captions on) Fortunately the English subtitles for the film are correct on Amazon. The first hour of the film is solely character development. The actual plot starts in the second hour. The level of detail in everything is amazing, especially when you watch it multiple times. Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a perfectionist, and it shows. A little-known secret: Many of the scenes from the film are actually taken from Jeunet's own life experiences. If you can watch this on Bluray on a quality TV, do it -- the cinematography absolutely pushes the technology.

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (Hindi)
It's a Bollywood romantic comedy... yes. there's the obligatory singing, dancing, and implausible plot, but it's cute and well done and is a beautiful story. The music's pretty good too. In many ways it's similar to my own relationship, which is probably why I like it so much.

Death at a Funeral (2008, UK version) as an honorable mention
UK version only. The USA remake was terrible. A very dark comedy with plot twists that even I wasn't anticipating.

Reactions: TPA

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Halloween 1978

Masterfully directed and scored by John Carpenter, it's a suspenseful and classic film that's been emulated endlessly over the years. IMHO all of the sequels/remakes pale in comparison.

I first saw Halloween in '78 when it opened at a theater in Alhambra when I lived in nearby South Pasadena. Watching the film I was astonished as scene after scene was set in a neighborhood that I'd frequently driven or walked by. I recognized the hardware store I'd shopped at and many of the houses. So surreal! The characters and the locations really made it believable. And that music score!

Before I left the state a few years ago, I visited the Myers house (and walked many of the streets in the movie (as part of my farewell tour). Watching the movie has become a very personal experience for me and an annual event at Halloween time.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of my favorite Christmas vids list:

It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Story
Miracle on 34th Street
Scrooged
A Christmas Carol (Just about all of the versions)
How The Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)
Home Alone
Home Alone 2
Gremlins
The Santa Clause
Jingle All The Way
White Christmas
It Happened on Fifth Avenue
Ernest Saves Christmas
All I Want For Christmas
The Polar Express

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
@IMA SOL MAN, Can we PLEASE just enjoy some Thanksgiving movies before the Christmas holiday is upon us?! :banghead: :yellowlaugh:
Heck, you are in a different time zone from me, but you can enjoy what you want, when you want. I guess I made a faux pas by listing them pre-Thanksgiving, please forgive me, Oh Great Time Keeper of The Forum. :bowdown:

:crackup::poke:

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

There. That's about the only Thanksgiving film that I can think of that I like to watch again and again. Maybe that is why my mind jumped right to Christmas movies. Sorry if that triggers you.

Heck, you are in a different time zone from me, but you can enjoy what you want, when you want. I guess I made a faux pas by listing them pre-Thanksgiving, please forgive me, Oh Great Time Keeper of The Forum. :bowdown:

:crackup::poke:

There. That's about the only Thanksgiving film that I can think of that I like to watch again and again. Maybe that is why my mind jumped right to Christmas movies. Sorry if that triggers you.

It _ Was _ A _ Joke! :yellowlaugh:

Scent of A Woman
Grumpy Old Men
In the House of Yes
Pieces of April
Hannah and Her Sisters
Home for the Holidays
Rocky
Addams Family Values
The Ice Storm
Alice's Restaurant
You've Got Mail
The Big Chill
The Blind Side
Funny People
Jack and Jill
A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
silver bullet its on right now just started im so happy it wasnt even listed but its on. i love the entire movie

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Into the wild! Wonderful film and I understand and relate to it. Just being free a adventure nature etc etc

raggie33

*the raggedier*
omg forgot about billy jack. omg its a perfect fan a underdog protects thise who was bullied . i cant even imagine how it would been to seen this gem in a theater. was people cheering?