Music and Musician Discussion Thread

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 80s had a lot of good music come to think of it. Many songs to put a person in a good mood. This an't jam, but it's just good listening...
Phil had 3 songs I didn't mind turning up....in the air, must be some misunderstanding and I can't dance.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 80s also was a time for creativity amongst musicians. Some of the best I can recollect are the music videos from songs like I can't dance (genesis), the car's "you might think" and .38 special's "back where you belong". I was gonna post the last one I mentioned, and I did, but I took it down because it wouldn't play here becsuse it had been flagged as age restricted. Wonder what a snow flake found wrong with that? I highly recommend ya'll check it out--an't nothing wrong with it. Video might could be played in church if the music was muted. No rock music in church you know.
There goes ya'll a link
Well, it did it again and all I posted was a link. I clicked on "watch on youtube" and it took me there though.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxo

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were a bunch of cool vids on MTV back in the 80's (when MTV still played music videos) Starting with the Bungles in 1981:

The video starts at about the 2 min. mark.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I really liked David Bowie 80's phase. I think he peaked in the 80's. Not a big fan of "China girl" but do admit it was a pretty catchy number. I liked the Scarey Monsters record the best.

Here's Ashes to Ashes

And a bootleg 20 years later

RIP David, sometimes called the chameleon because no two records sounded the same.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

No offense, but I kinda found David Bowie's songs a little boring except for this one. I don't condone the lyrics, but the guitar riffs are dynamic. Maybe around 30 years later I tripped out when I discovered that it was David that did this jamming song.
It sounds better turned way up.

Reactions: xxo

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mainly what I know about David Bowie was china girl, let's dance and I try and I was judging him by those 3 songs. No offense bykfixer--everyone has different tastes and I feel like I may have stepped on your taste in music. Sorry about that.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Earlier I posted that song "put the lime in the coconut" and if you didn't listen to it INHO you are missing out on a good song that is a sure enough trip.

I got an ideal just a few minutes ago to look that up to see if it is bull or maybe the dude is trying to humourously tell us something. There are positive and negative websites on the subject, but janethull.com talks positive about it. She has a phd, so that causes me to perk up a little with some respect. She lists the health benefits of both and how they work together to be a healthy combination or seperatly. I want to try this and she said she has been doing this since she heard the song and if she was about grown or grown at the time (probably the case since the song wasn't on the radio long and then it just about vanished) she must be at least as old as my sister...55+11=66? Sorry big sis--just making a point.

My point? The woman still looks good and young. Could this be from putting the lime in the coconut and drinking it all up?

I takes about 3 months for new skin cells to grow, so if you do it for looks hang in there before you make a judgement. I want to try this to see if it will help me get around better.

I'm ignorant on this, but at worst you just wasted your time and money, but if coconuts and limes are cheap enough I'm considering it. Basicly I just posted an ideal based on a song, so music was discussed.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mainly what I know about David Bowie was china girl, let's dance and I try and I was judging him by those 3 songs. No offense bykfixer--everyone has different tastes and I feel like I may have stepped on your taste in music. Sorry about that.
Some like Coke, some like Pepsi, some like RC. Some don't like cola sodas.
It's all good.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I have nothing against Michael McDonald as long as he stays with his solo career. He originally came in to give Tom Johnston (their original lead vocalist along with Patrick Simmons) some relief, but took over when Tom left the band due to his diabetes being out of control. He took a folksy rock band and put them into pop top 40. They didn't even sound like the same band with "when a fool believes" and "taking it to the streets" vs china grove, black water, long train running, and listen to the music. Tom's back now and has been back for a while, but I think during his absence Patrick Simmons took his place on vocals and lead guitar on the old stuff during concerts when McDonald was in there. Patrick did a fine job on the old stuff including china grove. Also the session guitarist from steely dan joined them, so they still had potential to rock during the McDonald years. I think the soul music they cranked out for the radio was just too bland/lame when McDonald was singing lead IMHO. Michael McDonald is back with them, but Tom Johnston is still in there also.

I grew up in a music family and have rather broad tastes. I have no strong feelings about MM, but when I read this and saw his name, it reminded me of a favorite song I listened to recently. I'm a Little Feat fan - esp. classics like 'Two Trains' and 'Fat Man in the Bathtub', etc), and although a little different from their usual fare, I especially like their 'Red Streamliner' number - it's a 'favorite'. MM did backup vocals on that song, and all I'll say is that they really picked the right guy for that job. He really enhanced the studio track of that song ('Time Loves a Hero' album). If you like MM at all, check that number out.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grew up in a music family and have rather broad tastes. I have no strong feelings about MM, but when I read this and saw his name, it reminded me of a favorite song I listened to recently. I'm a Little Feat fan - esp. classics like 'Two Trains' and 'Fat Man in the Bathtub', etc), and although a little different from their usual fare, I especially like their 'Red Streamliner' number - it's a 'favorite'. MM did backup vocals on that song, and all I'll say is that they really picked the right guy for that job. He really enhanced the studio track of that song ('Time Loves a Hero' album). If you like MM at all, check that number out.

Dude, you like "feat"? Wait till I tell my chickens.....they love the song "dixie chicken" by little feat!

Michael McDonald has a good voice. It's just his style of music isn't jam material. His voice fits his style, but I'm not saying that his voice couldn't be used in a jamming song as long as the style is different. I didn't know he sat in with feat on a song or two.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I liked the Waiting for Columbus album.

Right now on the mp3 player is a dude named Paul Hardcastle who specializes in smooth jazz. It seems he had a hit called "19" way back when about the Vietnam draft or something. But he evolved into a instrumentalist with guest singers.
Here's a cover song he did

Last edited:

Siriuslite

Newly Enlightened
Tomorrow night, I'm going to see Midge Ure (of Ultravox). If you don't know him, he's most famous for writing "Do they know its Christmas). Audience is restricted to 50 thanks to Covid. Very hyped - one of my all time favourites.