MY 10 CREES MAKITA LIGHT

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pics :)

I guess you lucked out with polarity isolation on the emitters as I don't see the postive corners clipped off.

Mac

COMMANDR

Enlightened
We need to find a super cool name for this awesome photon projector Cree - ation. How about "The Illuminator" , MY 10 CREES MAKITA LIGHT just does not do it justice. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome light.

Gary

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
How about something with "Deca" in the name to pay homage to the 10 emitters? Maybe Decamakita (too hard to say?) or Decalux, or Makita Declux (sounds like deluxe) or Makita Decree (maybe my favorite).

Anyway, sweet light. That's something you can really be proud to show off!

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
cmacclel said:
Nice pics
smile.gif

I guess you lucked out with polarity isolation on the emitters as I don't see the postive corners clipped off.

Mac

If not a thick layer of AA Epoxy a s Soffiler suggested maybe he filed off the under side of the emitters positive?
icon3.gif
Oh, and.............

wow.gif
HOLLY MOLLY THAT IS ONE COOL FLASHLIGHT!
buttrock.gif
Kenster like!
grinser2.gif
Kenster WANT!
naughty.gif

Ken :grin2:

soffiler

Enlightened
kenster said:
If not a thick layer of AA Epoxy a s Soffiler suggested maybe he filed off the under side of the emitters positive?

He'd have to file off positive AND negative on 8 of them. They are in series so the ones in the middle of the string are "floating" at a voltage that's neither full input(+) nor ground.

Speaking as a mechanical engineer and a mediocre machinist myself, I am VERY impressed with the workmanship for a homebuilt.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
soffiler said:
He'd have to file off positive AND negative on 8 of them. They are in series so the ones in the middle of the string are "floating" at a voltage that's neither full input(+) nor ground.
Explain please ? :grin2:

soffiler

Enlightened
bombelman said:
Explain please ? :grin2:

The 10 Crees are arranged as two parallel strings of five in series. A series connection means: (+) from the driver (battery, this is direct-drive) goes to the (+) on the first LED of the series, then from its (-) to the (+) of the second LED, from it's (-) to the (+) of the third LED, and so on...

Here's another way to explain it. Assume 17.5V from the battery and 3.5Vf for each LED. First one in the series string is running from 17.5V to 14.0V, second is running from 14.0V to 10.5V, third is running from 10.5V to 7.0V, fourth is running from 7.0V to 3.5V, and finally the fifth in the string is running from 3.5V to 0V. So you see, of the five positive pads and five negative pads underneath each of the five Crees in one series string, exactly one of those pads matches the voltage of the heat sink: the negative pad of the fifth in series. So if he did file off the pads, he would have to file both the postive and the negative on eight of the ten LED's. Two of them have to have just the positive filed off.

Gee, that's harder to explain than I thought it was going to be.

I still like my thick-epoxy theory.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful! I love the wood and metal look. Very nice. Makes me want to skip my other projects and do my cree spotlight first. I only wish I had nice materials like that to build mine. Yours is ultimate flood, mine will be ultimate throw.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
BFG would be a fitting name.

Perhaps the brightest LED-based flashlight on the planet? Great job!

The poor Surefire U2.....can't even tell it was even turned on.....:laughing:

:rock: WP

kingkong

Newly Enlightened
glockboy,

you are using a CPU heat sink. Thanks for the ideas. I have a bunch of CPU heat sink layout around. I might mod my 18V Dewalt...

Cuong.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
cmacclel said:
Nice pics :)

Mac
I just dremel the bottom positive and negative off, I like the cree got more heat sink and more place to solder, and it don't get short out when I put the refector on it.

dammitjim said:
Seriously, what is with the cars?
You got me there.
Freedom of choice? :grin2:
btw-my car is white too. :naughty:

Thanks everybody for the kind words. :)