My fathers flashlight collection - HELP!

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for your loss.

I would get the necessary CPF status to sell the collection in our for sale section of the forum. Things would likely move quickly and the people here know the difference between complete and incomplete flashlights and how to Lego/customize them together.

I speak semi impartial as I am not a Surefire enthusiast as many here are.

Good luck and I hope for the best for you and your family.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing what you can pick up using a torch isn't it. I use one (of my dad's) when hoovering to see cobwebs in corners of walls and ceilings, you would be amazed! I even use it to find swirl marks in my car's paintwork prior to polishing, so helpful.

If you go forward with the sale, I'd recommend setting apart your choice of the lot first and keeping it. Beyond the obvious point that your father has collected fine illumination tools, you'll be able to share in his enthusiasm every time it gets dark. There will still be enough left over to fetch quite a sum.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
So glad to hear this collection does not need to be sold quickly.

#29 is a U2 for sure. My (fairly) early unit was in the 1800's so this may not be an early model (not an expert) and I think it looks stock BUT if your father has a more modern emitter installed, that could make it more appealing for some. Perhaps others would prefer it original.

Maybe the Noble Peter could also take a quick look-see on the state of any rechargeable batteries as a safety measure as well? (As had been mentioned)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Another update ... #13 is probably a Muyshondt Nautilus (instead of Aeon / Ion)

And I think #31 is a SF Z tube, missing the grip rings ....

Last edited:

cobby22

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed towards ID'ing the torches, such awesome work and I definitely couldn't have done it without you all. I really wasn't expecting this kind of response when I wrote my opening post, it just goes to show what an amazing community this is.

I've had a chat with the family and we've decided to keep around 15 of the best/most desirable torches. I will sell the remaining ones once things have settled down in due course. To help me choose I would really appreciate your thoughts on any particular torches I should keep hold of. Now I have the ID's I do need to research each torch myself but I would still like your opinions.

David

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the family is doing the right thing.

Will anyone one be actually using the flashlights or is it more of a remembrance? If any will be used, how might they be used? If possible, more details regarding engines and emitters would be helpful to determine how valuable. Seems like some of the Surefire flashlights would hold value or maybe appreciate. A nice user flashlight would be to use the Moddoolar slim body with a Torchlab head and a Triad tail cap. It would be a good idea to confirm that slim body will fit an 18650 or an 18500 battery.

Looking forward to seeing this thread develop.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like I'll be travelling to Cambridge or David coming here in the near distant future.
Of all of them I would think the Muyshondts are worth hanging on to just because of their uniqueness.
Maybe when I come to play we can sort out some useful ones.
P

cobby22

Newly Enlightened
Hi David,

When you are ready to offer the lights for sale, please consider listing them on CPF. You can do so for a flat fee of $20 for a six month Supporter subscription which comes with sales privileges. eBay, while reaching a larger group of potential buyers, will want a lot more to list them.

~ Chance

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/IconLegend1.html

Yes I will definitely be listing them on CPF and nowhere else. I want them to go to people who will fully appreciate them, like my father did.

cobby22

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I'll be travelling to Cambridge or David coming here in the near distant future.
Of all of them I would think the Muyshondts are worth hanging on to just because of their uniqueness.
Maybe when I come to play we can sort out some useful ones.
P

Sounds like a plan Peter.

cobby22

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like the family is doing the right thing.

Will anyone one be actually using the flashlights or is it more of a remembrance? If any will be used, how might they be used? If possible, more details regarding engines and emitters would be helpful to determine how valuable. Seems like some of the Surefire flashlights would hold value or maybe appreciate. A nice user flashlight would be to use the Moddoolar slim body with a Torchlab head and a Triad tail cap. It would be a good idea to confirm that slim body will fit an 18650 or an 18500 battery.

Looking forward to seeing this thread develop.

I will try to make use of them as much as I can, but I think they would spend most of their life being more of a remembrance item (unless of course I become a flashaholic like my dad!). They will probably be used mostly for nighttime walks with my kids through fields, woods etc, and generally around the home and garden.

nbp

Flashaholic
If you PM an Admin like Greta, she might be able to cross-reference his real name with member registration info to find his screen name. I don't know that for sure as I don't have the ability, but it might be possible.

cobby22

Newly Enlightened
If you PM an Admin like Greta, she might be able to cross-reference his real name with member registration info to find his screen name. I don't know that for sure as I don't have the ability, but it might be possible.

Thanks nbp, will give this a go.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed towards ID'ing the torches, such awesome work and I definitely couldn't have done it without you all. I really wasn't expecting this kind of response when I wrote my opening post, it just goes to show what an amazing community this is.

I've had a chat with the family and we've decided to keep around 15 of the best/most desirable torches. I will sell the remaining ones once things have settled down in due course. To help me choose I would really appreciate your thoughts on any particular torches I should keep hold of. Now I have the ID's I do need to research each torch myself but I would still like your opinions.

David
I would recommend trying a few out here and there each night to find a couple you think you could enjoy using (UI and temperature/tint wise) and keep a few of those. Then keep a few that may increase in value.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't anyone wondering what Peter's collection looks like or how the hell he knows so much about these particular lights? I've been visiting this forum since the 90's and I realized how little I know about it. I can imagine how David's head must be reeling

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My collection is small and is mostly Malkoff and OR. I don't know anything about these particular lights, I just live about 60 miles away from David and have a solid practical grounding in electrics and mechanics. I brew beer for a living (such as it is) and do Sound Engineering for fun.
I am in no way a flashlight guru, just someone trying to help out.
P