My fathers flashlight collection - HELP!

nbp

Flashaholic
It's hard to make such decisions during a stressful time. As you will no doubt hear regarding many decisions during this time period, don't rush into anything. What you have there is a collection that will maintain a pretty stable value for the forseeable future. Rushing to dump the lot will likely result in either you getting a raw deal or possibly regretting let all of it go later on. If you do decide to sell some or all of it, there will be buyers for all those pieces, no doubt. But don't rush it. Spend time with dad, and CPF will be happy to help you sort out what you've got when you're ready, as is already evidenced by this thread! Maybe some you will keep, or gift to family, maybe some will be sold. In any case, you will have to make the decision that you can feel good about! We're all flashlight nuts here and would support any of those choices!

ven

Flashaholic
Glad to hear David, they are special as is, thats before your Dad hand picked each and everyone. Which you choose will not just be a flashlight doing a job, but an occasion and something to bring memories of special times. I hope it triggers an interest for you and your kids, something to even use camping or exploring together. Its amazing what a stick and bulb can do:)

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cobby, keep the lights (at least for now), set up crowd funding, and ask the mods if you may share the link here.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi David,
Sorry I was not able to respond sooner, please accept my sincere condolences on your father's illness and what your family is going through. I am proud to see our CPF family has responded so well, just like your dad would have done for anyone else. I just want to add one minor bit of advice: when you go to sell the Aleph lights, make sure that term is not used in the PayPal transaction. For some weird reason it triggers a "hold" due to an association with some nefarious organization(I wish I joking, but I personally experienced this). Just a generic description like LED light #xxx would work fine.
The only other way I might be able to assist is that I am a retired Nurse, so if you have any questions regarding what is happening with your dad, please send me a message and I will gladly help-sometimes having someone who is on the "outside" is easier to ask hard questions of. I really hope the sale that is being put together is extremely successful and able to help in your circumstances....

cobby22

Newly Enlightened
It may even open up a new adventure for you or/and the kids, possibly another common interest for you all to share. Only thoughts, a new/different adventure could be around every corner and your Dad helping light the way.

We are a big family here , your welcome to be a part of it:)

Enlightening words, I agree. Thank you.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Archimedes, #50 could be a Z2 with an OVEREADY Smoothie bezel. If looks like it has a bezel ring. The older Z2 bezel didn't have that. The Smoothie bezel would make it more valuable. It's very sought after.

cobby22

Newly Enlightened
Hello Cobby

Your Dad really has a good taste. I have a feeling that one day you'll regret selling these lights.
Don't forget: those lights probably mean a lot to your dad!

Kind regards HP

I think I'm slowly coming to this realisation. And yes they mean the world to my dad.

Thank you

archimedes

Flashaholic
Archimedes, #50 could be a Z2 with an OVEREADY Smoothie bezel. If looks like it has a bezel ring. The older Z2 bezel didn't have that. The Smoothie bezel would make it more valuable. It's very sought after.

Good point ... agreed, especially with the modern version of the logo

cobby22

Newly Enlightened
I´m afraid you are right. Some of these might no be complete lights at all, like #8, the Aleph 19 which does not have a switch in the tailcap. And #35 most likely too.

Eric

Correct. Some of them aren't complete and that's what I'm worried about. I don't want to sell a torch to someone only for it to be incomplete or different. I know my dad loved to fiddle and customise.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
good point ... agreed, especially with the modern version of the logo

Exactly. This looks like a keeper for sure. I would feel ashamed to buy this light under these circumstances.

Last edited:

cobby22

Newly Enlightened
Talk like that will just get him started on obsessing with Flashlights. Obsessive traits are genetic aren't they? Makes me wonder what my family would do in a similar situation. Never a bad Time to start planning ahead. By the looks of things, I wouldn't be surprised if there are more here and there, that you might have overlooked so I'm sure there's more light in your future. I wish I had the ability to ease your burden just so you can sit back and enjoy the collection for a while until you WANT to sell not because you HAVE to.

In the meantime, I'll pray for you and your family.

My dad did pass over his obsessive traits to me, big time! I'm really in to car detailing and often spend an entire weekend pampering my car. It's not ideal, especially with a wife and 3 kids but I really can't help it, it's my therapy. You never know, flashlights could be my next big thing.

ven

Flashaholic
Well to show up the fine details..................flashlights work perfectly. I made the mistake last night at lying down a flashlight on the floor. Noticed all the bits of dust, crumbs even though it had been cleaned before. So then i went around for ages cleaning up using the light..................:whistle:

cobby22

Newly Enlightened
The only other way I might be able to assist is that I am a retired Nurse, so if you have any questions regarding what is happening with your dad, please send me a message and I will gladly help-sometimes having someone who is on the "outside" is easier to ask hard questions of. I really hope the sale that is being put together is extremely successful and able to help in your circumstances....

Thank you, that's extremely kind. Yes you're right, having someone on the outside is very helpful, even just to chat to and get things off your chest.

David

cobby22

Newly Enlightened
Well to show up the fine details..................flashlights work perfectly. I made the mistake last night at lying down a flashlight on the floor. Noticed all the bits of dust, crumbs even though it had been cleaned before. So then i went around for ages cleaning up using the light..................:whistle:

Amazing what you can pick up using a torch isn't it. I use one (of my dad's) when hoovering to see cobwebs in corners of walls and ceilings, you would be amazed! I even use it to find swirl marks in my car's paintwork prior to polishing, so helpful.