My Jetbeam Raptor has arrived !

HKJ

Flashaholic
How much bigger is the light overall compared to the DBS?

The Raptor is nearly the same size, the diameter of the head is a bit larger, but the length is the same.
I am just about finished with a review of the Raptor and comparison of it to some other lights including DBS. The review is in danish put I will post all the beam shoots on cpf (They are done in nearly the same style as my last two beam shoot threads, just with a small improvement).

super-61-

Newly Enlightened
"There is one person here complained about the light shut down when he shaked it sideway, I think he has a defective driver as mine does not have that problem."
As this 'one person' I am happy to report that my new raptor arrived today and has none of these problems. It is a great throw flashlight.:thumbsup:
Thanx TAIGERSX good photos and good summary.

brett174

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering whether people think this Raptor would be good as an all purpose light (ie indoors and outdoors use) or is it solely a long range thrower?

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Well I think it can go as low enough to be comfortable indoors, so I'd guess that it could be okay as a general use light, indoors or out. However given it's large head and robust construction it probably wouldn't make a very handy edc light.

litework

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering whether people think this Raptor would be good as an all purpose light (ie indoors and outdoors use) or is it solely a long range thrower?

I think it's a useful light. The beam has some rings, so I prefer other lights indoors, but the Raptor can certainly illuminate a room. Yes, the Raptor excels outdoors but not just as a thrower. It has a faint ring of light that exists well away from the hotspot. It's difficult to describe, but this outer ring of light is enough to light up your path when walking in the dark.

TAIGERSX

Newly Enlightened
Can't the Raptor also defocus and provide more spill and less hotspot?

I'm not sure how they do that though. However it already came with plenty of spill that I don't think we need to do that.

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Aw man, Taigersz, you just convinced me to pick up the Raptor... I've been looking for a thrower for quite some time and considered the DBS and Tiablo as well as some of the other large bezel lights out there but I always stopped myself for some reason.

Now, I can't stop myself any longer. I'm finally going to spring for a thrower. :grin2::cool:

TAIGERSX

Newly Enlightened
Aw man, Taigersz, you just convinced me to pick up the Raptor... I've been looking for a thrower for quite some time and considered the DBS and Tiablo as well as some of the other large bezel lights out there but I always stopped myself for some reason.

Now, I can't stop myself any longer. I'm finally going to spring for a thrower. :grin2::cool:

Get one, u won't be disappointed ! It's just a plain awesome light :twothumbs

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't the Raptor also defocus and provide more spill and less hotspot?

yes if you firmly grip the light where it says low,med,high just above the control ring in one hand - then grab the head with the other hand and turn it to adjust the the focus :wave:
In tests I have done the light has the brightest hot spot when the focus ring is about half way - when the the head is screwed down tight - the hot spot looks the brightest up close but @ a fair distance the middle setting is brighter :whistle:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Is this high freq PWM or current controlled reg?

Raptor uses current control, but can have some high frequency noise in the light at low output, but at 80 kHz it can not be seen by the eye.

JetBeamRRT1%20low.png

Tora

Newly Enlightened
What is the actual range to the target? The Google map shows the distance from home plate to the target.

My Raptor-1 should be here within a couple of weeks. I hope to send in comparative shots against a couple of flashlights I have/soon to have.

Good shots on your part. I would like to show some set distances to failure.

Again - good review.

TAIGERSX

Newly Enlightened
The Google map shows the distance from home plate to the target.

"Home plate to target" ? I believe there's a typo here. Could you retype what u meant ?
The actual distance is 220 m .:welcome:

Tora

Newly Enlightened
Whoops - I was looking at the picture backwards - you were standing at the top of it and shooting towards the baseball field! I am just amazed at the distance it lit up the target.
Sorry - When my Raptor comes in I plan to take some good shots too.
I am just that much more astounded at the Raptor and for your excellent review.