Need a hotwire recommendation

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hello all -- I'm looking to build my first incan hotwire, and could use some advice.

I'd planned on building a Mag85, and had even started buying parts, but then found that I couldn't get a hold of a 9AA>3D adapter. Others advised me to steer away from the AA option anyway, and go with LIon cells. That sounded great, started searching, but as far as I can tell, the WA1185 can't handle 3xLIon cells. Then found the FM1909 setup, searched, read, and thought that was the ticket. Turns out, the FM1909 was a custom bulb, and is no longer available.

So now...I could use some suggestions. I'd like something as bright or brighter than a Mag85. 45 minutes runtime would be nice, but it could be less if using LIon cells that will not self-deplete as quickly. As far as form factor, I purchased a 3D, but could always buy a smaller Mag if needed. Must be reliable (not life of death, though), and built with parts that will be around long enough that I can change a bulb a year from now.

Any ideas? I'm stumped. I used to be on CPF every day (~2 years ago), but have had to settle for coming by every few weeks due to a job that keeps me busy. I'm enjoying having a bit more time to read here now, but I defintely feel behind the times -- seems incans are nowhere near as popular as they were two years ago.

Thanks for any advice!

hoongern

Enlightened
The 1185 can probably work with 3xLi-Ion, but it depends on the resistance of your host. Secondly, it also depends on your cells. My 3xAW IMR26500 (in a Mag 2D modded for low resistance) will definitely *poof* the 1185, but perhaps you could try 3x non IMR 26650 cells? There are some 3900mAh/4000mAh 26650s around, which I haven't used personally, so I can't say if it will *poof* the bulb or not. Otherwise, you could also use 3x ICR18650...

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you already have unmodified 3D, using 3 protected 18650 will not poof the bulb. Just don't fix resistance and use protected (2900mAh) cells only which are low self discharge, will run longer than Eneloops per charge and do not need expensive holder. Just find some correct size automotive heater hose to center the batteries and slightly tail cap mod.
Good luck and enjoy.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite Mag85 setup is 3xIMR26650s (IMR26500s also work well) with an AW soft start switch. You can either slightly undercharge the batteries to 4.10-4.15v (easy to do with a hobby charger) and be fine or you can simply run the light a minute or two on low and medium to bleed off a little voltage before switching to high. This really drives the bulb well and makes it as bright and white as it can be.

And as was pointed out earlier in this thread, non IMR18650s work well with this bulb. No :poof:

The FM1909 is not quite driven hard enough (for my tastes anyway) by 3 x 3.7v.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Battery Guy

Enlightened
My most frequently used Mag mod is still a 3D Mag85:

9AA->3D fivemega holder with Eneloop XX 2500 mAh AA cells
Fivemega bifocal lens
UCL lens
AW switch
Frosted 1185 bulb (Armor etch)

Runtime on this light is an honest 40 minutes on high with the Eneloop XX cells and the beam it produces is simply beautiful with the frosted bulb and bifocal lens. It is also super simple to charge the battery pack with an inexpensive smart charger. I have a 4sevens Maelstrom S12 that is far smaller and probably has similar OTF lumens, but I far prefer the color and shape of the Mag85 beam.

My second favorite light is similar to this, but is a 2D Mag with a 1909 bulb powered by 3 26500 lithium-ion cells. Although this is a superior flashlight to the Mag85 in almost every respect, it is more difficult to charge the battery and therefore I do not use it nearly as much as my NiMH powered Mag85.

If you are looking for a really great, practical, all-purpose Mag mod, I highly recommend the 3D Mag85 with 9 NiMH cells and a simple smart charger. If FM battery holders are not available, try the ones from mdocod.

Cheers,
BG