Need a new flashlight

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys.
This is my first post. :)

The first LED torch I bought was a keychain thingie and it worked until the switch broke... so I bought a cheap 5-LED torch but I lost it. After looking around the Net, I decided to go for something better. So I bought a Nuwai Q3 because it was cute and bright. Later I bought a Photon Freedom as a backup keychain light. So I was pretty happy with my two little lights :grin2:

Sadly, I've lost the Q3 :mecry:
Apparently the entire thing, holster and all, fell off my belt without my noticing it :ohgeez:.

So it seems I'm in the market for a new flashlight to carry around, which brings me to the reason for this post.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a small LED flashlight to replace my Q3? It should be as small as possible with the same or greater brightness as the Q3 and of course, not cost too much (<USD50; poor rate of exchange in Malaysia :shakehead ) Being able to use rechargeable/cheap batteries would be nice.

Thanks in advance, guys, and sorry for being so long-winded.

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second vote for the Fenix. It uses a "normal" battery too so you won't have to search around for something to feed it.

-LT

PS Welcome to CPF, hope you stay a while but don't blame us when your wallet starts to get thin. :D

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard JC! hope you stay a while :)

IMHO I recommend you consider my EDC setup unless you have more specific detailed needs to add to your post.

Like you, I EDC a Photon Freedom and also have a Jil rev2 DD which I run on LiON CR2 battery. This Jil setup is brighter than a stock Q3.

Wrangler

Enlightened
Get you another Q3 and run it off rechargeables! (r123`s 3.7 V - 4.2 V).
Brighter than on regular cr123`s and no more batts to buy!

Great little flashlight at a very affordable price!

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrangler said:
Get you another Q3 and run it off rechargeables! (r123`s 3.7 V - 4.2 V).
Brighter than on regular cr123`s and no more batts to buy!

Great little flashlight at a very affordable price!

That's a great idea because there are protected versions of the R123 LiON battery which lasts longer and has a bit more throw than the Jil because of the size of the reflector. Jil is smaller though :)

redduck

Newly Enlightened
Get a Fenix and a long lanyard attaching to your belt all the time so you won't lose it again.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
boy it sounds like an echo chamber in here :poke:. The Fenix is the next best thing to hit CPF and IMO it is by far the best single AA light out. it is sub $40.00 (without shipping), they have a great run time and the beam is very bright and they are all R binned Led so they are a decent binned lights. the body is well made, the only down side I found (which I've bypassed with a small lanyard) is the tail is the same diameter as the front so you can get mixed up and put a thumb print on the UCL lens (ultra clear lense)

oh...did I mention that it uses a SINGLE AA woo hoo our prayers have been answered.

doug

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys...
You really are a nice bunch :rock:

Think I'll get that Fenix... for now :devil:

Love the idea of using a rechargeable AA. I spent so much on CR123's for the Q3, I coulda bought another one :grin2:

Maybe I'll replace the Q3 later.

Thanks again guys.

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guy...

I like the idea of using rechargeable AA's. I spent so much on CR123's, I coulda bought another Q3 :grin2:

Will the fact that rechargeable NiMH batteries are 1.2V have any effect on the light?:candle:

Thanks again guys.

redduck

Newly Enlightened
jc28841 said:
Thanks for the help guy...

I like the idea of using rechargeable AA's. I spent so much on CR123's, I coulda bought another Q3 :grin2:

Will the fact that rechargeable NiMH batteries are 1.2V have any effect on the light?:candle:

Thanks again guys.

Fenix runs well on MiMH, brighter than on alklines, makes it almost like a regulated light.

greenLED

Flashaholic
While you're at it, check out the lanyards that jtice sells. It's a sad day when someone loses their lights :candle:

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you are already planning on a Fenix, I would recommend a Gerber/CMG Infinity also. I still think a battery that won't light up my Fenix will work in an Infinity. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. :)

Last edited: