Need a new light - Please help me out

poorfatkid

Newly Enlightened
Mjolnir - Thanks for your reply

I bought a Stanley a few weeks ago and it works great.

Thank you for the info on the batteries and the Eagletac. I like that the Eagletac can run on CR123's since I have a supply of them for my other lights. More reading I guess.:eek:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mjolnir - Thanks for your reply

I bought a Stanley a few weeks ago and it works great.

Thank you for the info on the batteries and the Eagletac. I like that the Eagletac can run on CR123's since I have a supply of them for my other lights. More reading I guess.:eek:

Sorry about that; I didn't see that you already had the stanley in my initial skimming of the thread. In that case, it seems like the M2/M2X might be the way to go. You might want to wait until there are some reviews for it though, just to make sure. It seems like it is going to be a pretty good light, but if you don't need the light right now there is no harm in waiting.

As far as the 18650's go, you might want to spend the extra money and get the Pila IBC charger, which is about $50.

seaside

Enlightened
As far as the 18650's go, you might want to spend the extra money and get the Pila IBC charger, which is about $50.

I would say this too.
For batteries, I have some trustfire rechargables. They are cheap and alright for the price. However, there're some better batteries from reputable brands available with little extra cost. For the charger, you definitely want to go for better model rather than cheap ones.

Sorry if I offended you in any way. Offending someone or standing someone's way never was my intention. But I honestly do believe rechargable battery is the convinient, economic way to go.

Since, you already have a HID, and you may want something bright, you'd better go for MC-E or P7 based flashlight. Then again, rechargable Li-ion cells are what you need with those kind of flashlight. One example of that is new Jetbeam M1X I told you above, and also new Eagletec looks promising too.

For the flashlight, batteries and chargers, some reviews are available here in CPF. You may want to check them out before you made your decision. Hope you find some flashlight that can make you happy.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it unreasonable to prefer the Fenix just because of the batteries? Should I be more open to other battery options?

no, it isnt unreasonable, just that the sheer number of batteries can be offputting. Especially with the majority of members running on rechargeables.

Thing is, 8xAAs is a lot more inconvenient than 2x18650 (for the eagletac)

Anyway, the choice is yours man

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I wouldn't mind if that uses 2 AA batteries, but 8 AA batteries? Not a chance. What about backup batteries? Carrying another 8 ~ 16 batteries for backup? No way, at least, that's not for me.

It is not that difficult to carry 8 extra AA batteries:
DSC_4151.jpg

And the TK40 is a very powerful light, I am looking forward to see how it stands up to EagleTac, Olight and Legion 2. :popcorn:

poorfatkid

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone.

As suggested I think the best thing to do is wait for some of these new lights to come out and get some reviews. Until that happens I will continue to read and ask ????'s.

Thanks again