Need some info on wireless routers and laptop/notebooks

chefgrill

Newly Enlightened
I'd forget about the mac Filtering, it's outdated. Anyone who's able to crack WPA2 won't have a problem spoofing your MAC Address, so it won't add any security, but it will take some flexibility from your setup (eg. a friend wants to use your connection).

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why all the hate for Lynksys? I've used Lynksys routers and switches for years without a hitch. Right now I'm using a Lynksys cable modem and wireless router through which runs two laptops and a wireless printer. To configure your wireless system download the Lynksys Easylink Advisor from the Lynksys site and you'll be golden.

Hi, no hate, just prior experiences. Older versions at least had relatively poor range (I am serious - 6 ft) and when I read the technical reviews comparing various routers last year, they still didn't keep up with the competition. Kind of surprising given that Cisco (the owner) has such a high reputation, but results are what matters.

I never figure out why, but many people had problems connecting Nokia Internet Pads to Linksys routers for some reason, even though it worked find with other ones. No idea why. :shrug:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've had some older Linksys routers that would occasionally lock up under high traffic conditions. Flashed them with third party firmware and that made them a bit more stable.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm running an older? Linksys WRT54GS that has worked well for me. It's stationed in the basement and I can go anywhere in my 2 story house and have signal. My iPad connects just fine and streams HD (looking) video smoothly even on the second floor above. No Linksys problems here.

Edit to add: Checking further, I guess some content is actually HD.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm running a Linksys WRT-54G and about 20 feet away on a computer with an Asus motherboard that has built in wifi adapter and it runs fine most of the time here. One thing that helped it was putting it on a UPS along with the modem.

goki

Newly Enlightened
IMO a hidden SSID+WPA2 encryption+a good, looooong pass phrase is more than enough to secure a network.

Anything else that has already been mentioned can add/beef-up the security but, IMO also tend to limit your networks flexibility or "friendliness".