New here, Looking for a great keychain light.

I didnt realize a fenix E0 and E1 could be had for less then 25 ... now i'm currently placing those 2 at the top of my list.. are those going to be as bright as the XR-E, seoul p4 stuff out there possbily similar priced? (there's quite a few on dealextreme that are using the p4 for around the same price as the fenix lights)

also its odd, unless i'm mis-reading the E0 and E1 both use AAA battery, and the E1 is only slightly larger, but has a higher output of light? So is the E0 only better in the fact that it probably has a higher runtime?

(i'm currently reading the threads about the E0 and hoping to find an indepth one about E0 Vs E1, i'm leaning towards the E1 right now, Just so i understand neither of these lights use a luxeon right? What is their bulbs power compared to the luxeons? Like a I or II or III?)

SEem if i DO go with the fenix whichever, it will be brighter than my dorcy (which I HATE their key ring on the back button, its broken of twice now, which is why i've had it, not to mention the button can be touchy and if not correclty placed in my pocket can turn on sometimes unwantedly).

I didnt realize a fenix E0 and E1 could be had for less then 25 ... now i'm currently placing those 2 at the top of my list.. are those going to be as bright as the XR-E, seoul p4 stuff out there possbily similar priced? (there's quite a few on dealextreme that are using the p4 for around the same price as the fenix lights)

also its odd, unless i'm mis-reading the E0 and E1 both use AAA battery, and the E1 is only slightly larger, but has a higher output of light? So is the E0 only better in the fact that it probably has a higher runtime?

(i'm currently reading the threads about the E0 and hoping to find an indepth one about E0 Vs E1, i'm leaning towards the E1 right now, Just so i understand neither of these lights use a luxeon right? What is their bulbs power compared to the luxeons? Like a I or II or III?)

SEem if i DO go with the fenix whichever, it will be brighter than my dorcy (which I HATE their key ring on the back button, its broken of twice now, which is why i've had it, not to mention the button can be touchy and if not correclty placed in my pocket can turn on sometimes unwantedly).

Both the E0 and E1 use Nichia LED's so expect a bluish tint. The E1 has a reflector and lens whereas the E0 is just the uncovered emitter. As a result, the E1 will have a hotspot with sidespill and the E0 will be a bit more floody. I have read that some people do not like some of the artifacts in the beam of the E1.

If your looking at something with a 5mm LED look here for far higher quality than the Fenix lights,
http://www.peakledsolutions.net/Products/Matterhorn.html
They are not as bright as "the XR-E, seoul p4 stuff" if you want bright and cheap buy from DX, keeping in mind that in the $20 range there isn't much quality.
Norm

I would not recommend Fenix E0 and E1 because the tint is blue and the output is low. My E1 often accidentally turn on in my pocket, or the head come off; I have to admit tho, it was well lubricated at all times. I am guessing that Seoul, Cree and Rebel are more efficient than the Nichia that E0 and E1 uses, but I'm sure that Seoul, Cree, and Rebel are brighter.

I don't have LiteFlux LF2, but I wish I did; I cannot justify buying it as I already have LxD heads and bodies. Currently I am using P2D RB100, but for $45 I think LiteFlux LF2 is a good value. It is not as bright as P2D RB100 but it's cheaper, smaller, more programmable, uses a more common battery, and it accepts 10440 gracefully. Rest assured that I am not associated with LiteFlux.

I hope you find the right key chain light for you.

lummi wee? okay...

as for those far higher quality lights.. those are around 40+ dollars.. I dont need super high quality.. the dorcy broke cuz it was a shoddy design.. The fenix's look ato have a much better design as the keyring goes ON the body of the light, it will take far more abuse to break that then it did the dorcy (and the dorcy probablly didnt break so much as if that metal half ring on the end expands it just comes out of the hole and your flash light goes bye-bye, dumb design for keys in my opinion)

I really dont want to spend 45 bucks for a single flash light that will go on my keys.. I dont have a job that requires me to use this light alot, i just wanted something that was a good step up in brightness and durability than the dorcy, the dorcy was a present for my brithday many years ago i assume it was a 7.99 thing at walmart.. so 20 bucks for a fenix seems like it might be a step in the right direction. I am hoping for brighter and a little better performance than the dorcy, after reading a few pages i am ASSUMING the E0 will give that, and i know the E1 will be bright as i've seen comparison shots..

Blueish tint probably wont bother me? I mean i dont think so.. I have this cheapo 3 led red aluminum flashlight i bought a year or so ago some no name thing for like 5 bucks, it flickers cuz its shoddy construction but i think its probably got the blueish tint you speak of, never really bothered me, tho it can be superbright when it works :)

The E0 is roughly the same performance as the old Dorcy AAA. Same bluish tint. Main advantage is it does not have that lumpy head of the Dorcy and the hole for a split ring/lanyard is more solid than the hang ring of the Dorcy.
Review of E0 at Flashlightreviews:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_e0.htm

The E1 with a 1/2 watt Rigel LED is brighter than the E0. It actually throws better than many lights that are actually brighter than it. That is because Fenix focusses the light to a small but bright hotspot. Ringy beam. About 11 lumens for 1 hr 40 min.
Review of E1 at Flashlightreviews:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_e1.htm

Most of the Cree/SSc-P4 AAA lights at DX are built for brightness not runtime. Expect 40+ lumens but runtimes as low as 15 min on alkalines.
They perform similar to the L0D CE on high mode. Most are not regulated like the Fenix and brightness tends to fall as the battery voltage drops.
Review of L0D CE at flashlightreviews:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l0dce.htm

Review of baseline Dorcy Gen 1 at Flashlightreviews. Also the newer gen 3.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_aaa.htm

I assume you have already looked at unknownVT's beamshots I linked to in my last post.

If you go for a DX Cree/SSC-P4 or the L0D CE consider a low self discharge NiMH battery such as Eneloop or RayOvac hybrid. You should get 30-45 min of fairly constant very bright light. Regular NiMH can self discharge to useless in a month or 2 and alkalines just cannot keep up with the power demand.

Last edited:
The E0 is roughly the same performance as the old Dorcy AAA. Same bluish tint. Main advantage is it does not have that lumpy head of the Dorcy and the hole for a split ring/lanyard is more solid than the hang ring of the Dorcy.
Review of E0 at Flashlightreviews:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_e0.htm

The E1 with a 1/2 watt Rigel LED is brighter than the E0. It actually throws better than many lights that are actually brighter than it. That is because Fenix focusses the light to a small but bright hotspot. Ringy geam. About 11 lumens for 1 hr 40 min.
Review of E1 at Flashlightreviews:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_e1.htm

Most of the Cree/SSc-P4 AAA lights at DX are built for brightness not runtime. Expect 40+ lumens but runtimes as low as 15 min on alkalines.
They perform similar to the L0D CE on high mode. Most are not regulated like the Fenix and brightness tends to fall as the battery voltage drops.
Review of L0D CE at flashlightreviews:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l0dce.htm

Review of baseline Dorcy Gen 1 at Flashlightreviews. Also the newer gen 3.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_aaa.htm

I assume you have already looked at unknownVT's beamshots I linked to in my last post.

If you go for a DX Cree/SSC-P4 or the L0D CE consider a low self discharge NiMH battery such as Eneloop or RayOvac hybrid. You should get 30-45 min of fairly constant very bright light. Regular NiMH can self discharge to useless in a month or 2 and alkalines just cannot keep up with the power demand.

Great info here! i've read the first 2 reviews you linked about 3 times each :D but the L0D seems a bit expensive for my purpose..

Let me re-phrase what i meant above.. I dont have a job that demands light at all.. I Dont do any activities that demand light on a regular basis (I might be at a friends and he'll say look inside my computer would ya?, thats like once a month or every 2 or 3 months).. I want something mostly that will go on the keys, not be ANY bulkier than the dorcy was (smaller is even better!), preferably be brighter, for those times i'm out at night, and someone drops a key or something on the ground under the car, and its a few feet away, i can just pop out the keys turn a head/click a button and i have a pretty usefully bright flashlight with good throw... (thats why i'm considering the E1....). I am hoping whatever battery i put in there will be able to last long extended periods of time with very little juice leakage.. I.e. if i dont replace the battery for a year, i wana turn it on and still get some good light out of it (which is why i'm torn between the E0 since it has magnificent regulation, but you say not any brighter than the Dorcy hnmmmm..) I'm HALF considering buying both the E0 and E1 and just deal with it at that point.. Elite has a great deal on them.. i can get em for probably 41 shipped together. YEs i cant stomach a single 40 dollar light on my key chain, but 2 lights for 40 I can stomach cuz one can be an all around the house light, or a car back up light).

Now originally the brightness of that Nuwai X-1 had me slobbering since it has high numbers (its a luxeon after all) but the more i think about it -- its an AA, and i think would be far too bulky for the keys..(Also is this the same River Rock 1AA at target? I heard they are the same exact light). Tho i've read its one of the better/brighter single AA lights out there (is that true considering its 22 dollar price? obvoiusly there's probabaly a 100+ light out there...) Might be a nice light to have regardless!

I'm going to guess there are very few single AAA luxeon keychain lights (at least espically in this price range), cuz i assume (From what i've read) that generally AAA's Just are not enough to power a luxeon. Brightness is important to me, but when you mention those DX lights only lasting 15 minutes or just being very 'random' in terms of how much light i'll get depending on the batteries, that makes me a bit nervous..

As with every single thing in life, there's a trade off to be made here... seems like brightness versus runtime here.. at least in this price range.. Guess i'm just trying to find out if either of these fenix's falls right in the comfy middle.. (what would you say the throw of the E1 is compared to the E0? double distance?)

**edit, i saw you mention the E1 with a Rigel, but it doesnt come with this bulb.. let me mention i do not plan to modify my lights all .. i'll be running stock.

Last edited:
The Dorcy Gen1/2/3 has a Nichia BS 5mm LED 20mA. Not very efficient. Blue tint.
The Dorcy Gen4 and E0 has a Nichia CS 5mm LED 20mA. Blue tint.
The E1 has a Nichia Rigel LED 100mA. Cool white.
Luxeons, Crees, SSCs, Rebels can be powered 350mA and up.

An alkaline is fine for the Dorcy AAA, E0, E1.

Eneloops are required for your kind of usage for the more powerful L0D CE or the Ultrafire 602C SSC from DX except it won't fit in my 602C. A RayOvac Hybrid did. You only need to charge these once a year if you do not use your lights much.

The 602C also comes in a Luxeon version and a similar light with a Luxeon PWT is called the B3. They are 1/2 as bright as the 602C SSC but about $4 or $5 cheaper. The battery fit problem are commom to all 3 Ultrafire AAA lights. Ther is 1 post that a recent 602C SSC will work with all batteries but I do not know if Ultrafire fixed the problem or it's just variation in manufacturing tolerances.

The Dorcy Gen1/2/3 has a Nichia BS 5mm LED 20mA. Not very efficient. Blue tint.
The Dorcy Gen4 and E0 has a Nichia CS 5mm LED 20mA. Blue tint.
The E1 has a Nichia Rigel LED 100mA. Cool white.
Luxeons, Crees, SSCs, Rebels can be powered 350mA and up.

An alkaline is fine for the Dorcy AAA, E0, E1.

Eneloops are required for your kind of usage for the more powerful L0D CE or the Ultrafire 602C SSC from DX except it won't fit in my 602C. A RayOvac Hybrid did. You only need to charge these once a year if you do not use your lights much.

The 602C also comes in a Luxeon version and a similar light with a Luxeon PWT is called the B3. They are 1/2 as bright as the 602C SSC but about $4 or $5 cheaper. The battery fit problem are commom to all 3 Ultrafire AAA lights. Ther is 1 post that a recent 602C SSC will work with all batteries but I do not know if Ultrafire fixed the problem or it's just variation in manufacturing tolerances.

You are very knowledgeable sir :)

I just ate my words and realized that fenix has a single AAA luxeon based flash light.. the L0P.. then i saw you mention the L0D.. I am seeing the major difference between these lights being the bulb used in them? I can find the L0P for 30 bucks on the same site i found the others.. thats a tad more up the chain, but it claims it uses a luxeon III light.. how much more brightness/throw should i expect from that, in comparison to say, the E1 ? right now its going to be about a 10 dollar price drifference.. and of course its run time is even lower than the E1..

What is "Eneloops" is that the back part of the flash light that i run the keys through? (i'm new still)

eNELOOPS are a battery brand.
I have done the Arc AAA then the AAA-P
After I found CPF I went with the P1 CE twisty Pocket Rocket from Fenix runs on 1 123A
Some say it's too big for a keychain light. 35 bucks with fenix CPF cupon and 90 Lumens with OP reflector. It stays in regulation for 1H45m and is the size of a fat pinky. For all that I'll pack it every dang day! If I can break it, I'll buy another the same day - Period

You are very knowledgeable sir :)

I just ate my words and realized that fenix has a single AAA luxeon based flash light.. the L0P.. then i saw you mention the L0D.. I am seeing the major difference between these lights being the bulb used in them? I can find the L0P for 30 bucks on the same site i found the others.. thats a tad more up the chain, but it claims it uses a luxeon III light.. how much more brightness/throw should i expect from that, in comparison to say, the E1 ? right now its going to be about a 10 dollar price drifference.. and of course its run time is even lower than the E1..

What is "Eneloops" is that the back part of the flash light that i run the keys through? (i'm new still)
Fenix AAA lights:

E0 is a 5mm LED light. 4 lumens for 5 hours.

E1 is a "1/2 watt" light. 11 lumens for 1 hr 40 mins.

L0P is Fenix's 1st Luxeon AAA light. 30 lumens for 15 min (alkaline) 50 min (freshly charged NiMH)

L0P SE (P=premium, SE=special edition) is a 3 mode light.
Medium is 11 lumens for 1 hr 40 mins. Similar to an E1.
Low is 4 lumens for 5 hours. Similar to an E0.
High is 30 lumens for 15 min (alkaline) 50 min (freshly charged NiMH). Similar to an L0P.
So you get 3 lights in 1.

L0D (D=digital) is an L0P SE with the addition of strobe and SOS modes.
Strobe is useful for making people aware you are there. Such as crossing the stret at night.
SOS (..._ _ _... is great for shining at Al Gore during the Save The Planet Concert.
There are Holiday versions of the L0D in red and green with snowflakes.

L0D CE (CE=Cree edition) is an L0D with a Cree emitter.
Medium is 15 lumens for 1 hr 40 mins.
Low is 7 lumens for 5 hours.
High is 45 lumens for 15 min (alkaline) 50 min (freshly charged NiMH).
The increase in brightness is most noticeable in the spill light, allowing you to see a wide area clearly.

L0D RB80 (RB=Rebel LED, 80= 80 lumens at 350 mA) is a L0D with a Rebel emitter.
The RB80 has a stronger hotspot but weaker spill light than the L0D CE. For throw (distance) the RB80 is better. For closer work the CE is better.
Some people like the warmer (less blue) tint of the RB80.
Some people get the RB80 because it is the LATEST THING.

-----

Fenix name convention:
L series Lights that use common batteries
P series Powerful lights that use 3V CR123A batteries
E series Economical lights

The CR123A (123A=one 2/3 A size) are shorter but fatter battery than AAA. So a 1xCR123A light such as Sgt. LED's P1 CE is shorter but fatter (the whole light is as wide as the head of the Dorcy AAA). Because the batteries are double the voltage of the AAA the lights are also much brighter. Problem is they are usually expensive locally. Care should also be taken when using them. All the exploding flashlights mentioned on CPF seem to be using 123A batteries (usually multiple 123A)

-----

Batteries:

Disposable:

Carbon Zinc (Heavy Duty) - Cheap, no power, leaks. 1.5V Voltage drops as the battery is used..

Alkalines - Double the power of Carbon Zinc. 1.5V Voltage drops as the battery is used. 5 to 7 year shelf claimed, leaks after 3, often before that. Recommended to store batteries outside of whatever it is to be used in.

Primary Lithiums (Energizer e2 L92) - Expensive, most power. 10+ years shelf life. Works in extreme temperatures. 1.7V maintains voltage well during use.

-

Rechargeable:
All the rechargeables maintain voltage well during use UNO. Usually also handle high current well. Time between recharges are for batteries not used.

NiCD (NiCD=Nickel Cadmium)- Cheapest, Cadmium harmful to environment. Need recharging every week. 1.2V

NiMH (regular) (NiMH=Nickel Metal Hydride) - Need recharging every month or 2. 1.2V

LSD NiMH (LSD=Low Self Discharge) - About 80% the capacity of regular NiMH when freshly charged but holds the charge better so after sitting for a couple of months LSD NiMH will have more capacity than regular NiMH. 1.2V
Sanyo Eneloop - Need recharging every year.
RayOvac Hybrid - Need reharging every 6 months.
Kodak also sells them as well as some mail order battery places under their own brands. Also available as the Hybrio outside North America.

10440 Li-on (10=10mm diameter, 44=44mm long, 0=cylindrical battery, Li-on=Lithium ion) - 3.6V (4.2V when freshly charged). High voltage not suitable for use in AAA devices, may fry the components. Li-on batteries are more explosion prone than other types especially if used incorrectly. Some flashlights have circuits designed to handle them (Liteflux LF2, Huntlight FTA3, Ultrafire 602C-SSC (the LED in the 602C with 1 watt luxeon will burn out, the 602C/10440 package at DX has a 3 watt LED)). The Fenix AAA lights are NOT designed to use them. Some CPF members have used them in Fenix lights (Luxeon and Cree) and the lights have survived and no battery has blown up yet.

Rechargeable Alkalines - Before NiMH these were popular as an alternative to NiCD. 1.5V dropping with use. Can be charged up to 25 times (HA!). Cannot handle high loads. Leaks. Sold under the RayOvac Renewel and Pure Energy brand names.

Last edited:
Well i went ahead and made a large purchase mostly on price.. I found an L0P SE on ebay for 19.99 so i bought that, it seemed to good of a deal to pass up.. then i went and purchaed the E0 and E1 off eliteLed.. I spent more than i wanted to spend on 1 light, but i bought 3 lights so i dont feel THAT bad, i can see which i like best, put it on my keys, then keep the rest in stored area's.. Hopefully i didnt make a bad decision passing on the L0D. (was just a bit higher for 1 light then i wanted to go).

The main difference between the L0P-SE(review) and L0D-CE(review) is the LED used. The L0D-CE uses a Cree XR-E P4 LED that is more efficient then the Luxeon III used in the L0P-SE. According to Flashlight reviews, the L0P-SE has around 21 overall lux and the L0D-CE has around 33 overall lux, that means the L0D-CE is 36.4% brighter then the L0D-CE.

If you want your L0P-SE to be brighter, you could also modify it with a Seoul P4 and about double the output. Tutorial here.

Last edited:
The main difference between the L0P-SE(review) and L0D-CE(review) is the LED used. The L0D-CE uses a Cree XR-E P4 LED that is more efficient then the Luxeon III used in the L0P-SE. According to Flashlight reviews, the L0P-SE has around 21 overall lux and the L0D-CE has around 33 overall lux, that means the L0D-CE is 36.4% brighter then the L0D-CE.

If you want your L0P-SE to be brighter, you could also modify it with a Seoul P4 and about double the output. Tutorial here.

If i did that, would it cut the runtime down? or would it essentially have the same brightness and run time as the L0D? (i think the D had 5 modes while the P i bought only has 3? but i dont care about those other 2 modes).

The Seoul P4 U bin, like this one, is also twice as efficient as the Luxeon used in the L0P so runtime should not change much.

It would be similar in output(probably a bit more output) to a L0D-CE.

Fenix AAA lights:

E0 is a 5mm LED light. 4 lumens for 5 hours.

E1 is a "1/2 watt" light. 11 lumens for 1 hr 40 mins.

L0P is Fenix's 1st Luxeon AAA light. 30 lumens for 15 min (alkaline) 50 min (freshly charged NiMH)

L0P SE (P=premium, SE=special edition) is a 3 mode light.
Medium is 11 lumens for 1 hr 40 mins. Similar to an E1.
Low is 4 lumens for 5 hours. Similar to an E0.
High is 30 lumens for 15 min (alkaline) 50 min (freshly charged NiMH). Similar to an L0P.
So you get 3 lights in 1.

L0D (D=digital) is an L0P SE with the addition of strobe and SOS modes.
Strobe is useful for making people aware you are there. Such as crossing the stret at night.
SOS (..._ _ _... is great for shining at Al Gore during the Save The Planet Concert.
There are Holiday versions of the L0D in red and green with snowflakes.

L0D CE (CE=Cree edition) is an L0D with a Cree emitter.
Medium is 15 lumens for 1 hr 40 mins.
Low is 7 lumens for 5 hours.
High is 45 lumens for 15 min (alkaline) 50 min (freshly charged NiMH).
The increase in brightness is most noticeable in the spill light, allowing you to see a wide area clearly.

L0D RB80 (RB=Rebel LED, 80= 80 lumens at 350 mA) is a L0D with a Rebel emitter.
The RB80 has a stronger hotspot but weaker spill light than the L0D CE. For throw (distance) the RB80 is better. For closer work the CE is better.
Some people like the warmer (less blue) tint of the RB80.
Some people get the RB80 because it is the LATEST THING.

-----

Fenix name convention:
L series Lights that use common batteries
P series Powerful lights that use 3V CR123A batteries
E series Economical lights

The CR123A (123A=one 2/3 A size) are shorter but fatter battery than AAA. So a 1xCR123A light such as Sgt. LED's P1 CE is shorter but fatter (the whole light is as wide as the head of the Dorcy AAA). Because the batteries are double the voltage of the AAA the lights are also much brighter. Problem is they are usually expensive locally. Care should also be taken when using them. All the exploding flashlights mentioned on CPF seem to be using 123A batteries (usually multiple 123A)

-----

Thank you very much for the info on Fenii and batteries. I have been
dismayed forever about their seemingly incomprehensible use of naming
conventions. This has given me more info than I ever wanted (OK, not REALLY). Very much thankful!!!

Happy lighting!
:p