New Inova X1?

Wyeast

Enlightened
Re: Inova X1 And Rechargables

Glock40 said:
I have a Inova X1. I am wondering if it would be ok to use rechargables in it. I can't find anywhere on the box or in the manual that says it is ok, but it does not say not to use them either.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. Any help would be much appreciated.

We use rechargable NiMH's in our X1's, and they run just fine.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened

Wyeast said:
We use rechargable NiMH's in our X1's, and they run just fine.

Well now I'm feeling *really* stupid. Just bought an X1 at Target. Works fine with the supplied Duracell Ultra. Does not even light with Tenergy 2300 NiMh or Powerex 2500 NiMh, or Sanyo 2500 NiMh.

I am a newely "out of the closet" flashaholic, but I do know how to put in a cell and turn the light on....I thought...

What gives?:huh2:

InfidelCastro

Banned

Is it the old spot version or the new reflector version? I'll have to try mine with an energizer 2500 to see if it lights .

cd-card-biz

Enlightened

InfidelCastro said:
Is it the old spot version or the new reflector version? I'll have to try mine with an energizer 2500 to see if it lights .

It's the new version. At least it looks like the pix of the new version on FlashlightReviews.com. Just bought it a few days ago at Target.

Does this have something to do with the NiMh not having the conductive "ring" around the + terminal?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

cd-card-biz wrote: "Well now I'm feeling *really* stupid. Just bought an X1 at Target. Works fine with the supplied Duracell Ultra. Does not even light with Tenergy 2300 NiMh or Powerex 2500 NiMh, or Sanyo 2500 NiMh. "

This might be worth checking -

Some batteries have their '-'ve contact recessed below the battery wrapping -

Inova X1 depends on its momentary plate to make contact -
so the battery's '-'ve contact has to stand proud of the wrapping.

I've read posts where people have stripped the battery wrapping to clear the '-'ve contact

cd-card-biz

Enlightened

Holding an alkaline Duracell and Tenergy NiMh side-by-side, the negative (-) end seems the same on both. It looks quite well exposed enough to contact the switch plate.

I even tried a small piece of aluminum foil placed on the negative pole to raise it up a bit. No joy.

It would be interesting to know if those having sucess using NiMh cells have the "old" version of the X1.

Can someone verify please?

Thanks!

InfidelCastro

Banned

Okay, I was sitting here waiting for the two 2500's in the charger to finish, but figured I better test mine out before any rumours get started. Both of the 2500's that were in my digicam light up my new style X1.

Just checked again, it's definately brighter with the alkaline.

Last edited:

HonorKnight

Newly Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost.

I've burned out two of the new style X1's now using rechargeable batteries. Both times in less than a week. I contacted Inova and they responded to say that rechargeables are not recommended and the use of a rechargable voids the warranty. The only recommended battery is the AA alkaline.

InfidelCastro

Banned

I don't see the point in using a rechargeable in this light for myself, since I originally bought it to use up old AA's I had laying around and it appears brighter with the alkalines anyways.

I guess you're not supposed to use lithiums in it either though, which is kind of a drag.

Penguin

Enlightened
Re: Inova X1

Hmm, I'll have to go pick one up from Target. Now I can standardize on AA's when I go hiking!
Fenix L1p
Inova X1
Streamlight Propoly Lux

Now for Arc to release their Arc AA :)

Rando

Enlightened

According to this, the 3.6 volt lithiums are incompatible with all Inovas. Don't see any reason to think that NiMH would be any different.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

cd-card-biz wrote: "Holding an alkaline Duracell and Tenergy NiMh side-by-side, the negative (-) end seems the same on both. It looks quite well exposed enough to contact the switch plate.
I even tried a small piece of aluminum foil placed on the negative pole to raise it up a bit. No joy.
It would be interesting to know if those having sucess using NiMh cells have the "old" version of the X1."

I have an older style lensed Inova X1 Spot - White (linked review) and both my NiMH AA betteries worked in it (Ray-o-Vac 1600mAh and jWIN 1800mAh)

When you checked your batteries were the rechargeable and primary exactly the same length?
ie: when inserted in the X1 - does the rechargeable battery still protude a bit from the body tube?

Just a small possibility this Spot X1 is a relatively recent one - I was told bought from Target circa Sept/2005 - and might be using the Nichia CS....

HonorKnight wrote: "I've burned out two of the new style X1's now using rechargeable batteries. Both times in less than a week. I contacted Inova and they responded to say that rechargeables are not recommended and the use of a rechargable voids the warranty. The only recommended battery is the AA alkaline."

That's very interesting - thank you so much for that input.

Rando wrote: "According to this, the 3.6 volt lithiums are incompatible with all Inovas. Don't see any reason to think that NiMH would be any different."

I can understand that 3.6V Li-Ion rechargeable burning out the X1 -
this is WAY above a single alkaline AA rated nominally at 1.5V -
but NiMH rechargeables are nominally rated at about 1.2V - below that of alkalines.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

...I can understand that 3.6V Li-Ion rechargeable burning out the X1 -
but NiMH rechargeables are nominally rated at about 1.2V - below that of alkalines.
That and the fact that the alkalines also put out 1.2V at at least some point as their voltage ramps down to oblivion. Weird.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't tried rechargeables yet in any of my x1's, but I do use E2 lithium AA's for their lighter weight. None of the flashlights has failed yet.

Rando

Enlightened

UnknownVT said:
I can understand that 3.6V Li-Ion rechargeable burning out the X1 -

Good point! What the hell was I thinking about?:ohgeez:

carrot

Flashaholic

Just picked up one of these little lights today. I like it a lot more than I expected. I might end up buying another, even though it *is* a bit expensive for a little 5mm LED light. I think it's definitely worth it, though.

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened

I have one that used to be EDC (now replaced by an Inova T2, the bigger brother). I have a twin of it in the package (I ordered two, to have one backup.)

The only way I'd get myself another would be if they changed the tailcap to make a true momentary-on function, which would involve switching from twisty to clicky... Anyone have any idea if Inova is thinking of doing that any time soon?

-Jeffrey