New Inova X1?

HonorKnight

Newly Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost.
Re: Inova X1 And Rechargables

UnknownVT said:
I have an older style lensed Inova X1 Spot - White (linked review) and both my NiMH AA betteries worked in it (Ray-o-Vac 1600mAh and jWIN 1800mAh)
Ah, I see. I was using Energizer 2300 mAh AA. Actually, I didn't use my 2500 mAh or my Duracell 2650 mAh because I was concerned it was too much power for the LED. It has to do with being able to pull power out of NiMH rechargeable batteries more quickly. Maybe with the lower mAh's it works ok? I wonder if NiCad would be ok? You can't pull power out them as fast.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

HonorKnight wrote: "I was using Energizer 2300 mAh AA. Actually, I didn't use my 2500 mAh or my Duracell 2650 mAh because I was concerned it was too much power for the LED. It has to do with being able to pull power out of NiMH rechargeable batteries more quickly. Maybe with the lower mAh's it works ok? I wonder if NiCad would be ok? You can't pull power out them as fast."

Don't know for sure - but my reaction was that it should not make any difference. I think it's the voltage when too high has the Potential for doing damage - as long as there is enough capacity (current).

So any NiMH is going to be nominally 1.2V - which is definitely BELOW the rated 1.5V for alkalines - theoretically should not damage the X1 - (I only used those lower capacity NiMH rechargeables - because they're the only ones I have) -
but then Inova have actually told you that rechargeables are not recommended.
So I am confused :confused:

Last edited:

jmw19

Newly Enlightened

HonorKnight said:
I've burned out two of the new style X1's now using rechargeable batteries. Both times in less than a week. I contacted Inova and they responded to say that rechargeables are not recommended and the use of a rechargable voids the warranty. The only recommended battery is the AA alkaline.

Wow, maybe I don't want one of these after all. The new style has a better light beam, and AAs are a great combo of size, power and availability, but if the circuitry's that sensitive, I'll go elsewhere. Hmmm, the Fenix line is looking better and better.

Jon

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Inova X1

I dont believe so Jeffery, the lights they previewed at the Shotshow looked to be along the same lines, the X series with twisties and the T series with clickies, which makes a bit of sense to me. Have options for both types of tastes, those who prefer twisties and those who prefer clickies. I happen to like the twist cap and have all the X series.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

...The new style has a better light beam...
Actually, the new style has a different light beam. It may be better for the tasks you invision and at the same time it may be hopelessly inadequate for many of the very specific tasks that the original excelled at.

mattz357

Newly Enlightened

So is anyone saying that the quality of the new version is less than that of the old version, or just that there are isolated instances of droppage that rendered both versions temporarily out of commision? I had an old one and liked it despite the fact that it was a very tight spot. I have an opportunity to buy another old one, or upgrade to a new one, but I don't want to go new if I'm giving up quality. Thanks in advance for any input!

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

mattz357 said:
So is anyone saying that the quality of the new version is less than that of the old version, or just that there are isolated instances of droppage that rendered both versions temporarily out of commision? I had an old one and liked it despite the fact that it was a very tight spot. I have an opportunity to buy another old one, or upgrade to a new one, but I don't want to go new if I'm giving up quality. Thanks in advance for any input!

No. At least I'm not, and won't, say that. I have two old, and one new one, and they are EXACTLY the same besides the lens and possibly the LED itself.

I do think they upgraded the LED before they changed the lens, because Quickbeam's review of the new floody one said it was as bright all over as the old spot was across it's small spot. I immediately disagreed, as my relatively new old one had a very bright spot that was what I would call an impressive 1AA 5mm led "thrower." So I concluded I must have gotten a spot version with upgraded LED.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not sure what you mean by 'droppage' but when I dropped my x1 and it stopped working, I kept banging it against stuff until it worked again. Took a while, but I was sure I could bang it into submission. I don't know what the problem was, but I'm glad banging the light actually fixed it.

mattz357

Newly Enlightened

That's what I meant. There was one post of a drop on a hard surface and one of a drop on carpet that both knocked out the X1. Thanks for your info!

Paladin

Enlightened

My X1 rolled off a table and fell about 4 feet onto a ceramic tile surface striking bezel down at about a 45 degree angle. A fairly deep ding in the ring around the bezel resulted, but I am happy to report the light still works and the lens did not fall out. At least I've learned my lesson about laying down a flashlight that lacks "anti-roll" capability!

Paladin

dim

Enlightened

Blindasabat said:
No. At least I'm not, and won't, say that. I have two old, and one new one, and they are EXACTLY the same besides the lens and possibly the LED itself.

I do think they upgraded the LED before they changed the lens, because Quickbeam's review of the new floody one said it was as bright all over as the old spot was across it's small spot. I immediately disagreed, as my relatively new old one had a very bright spot that was what I would call an impressive 1AA 5mm led "thrower." So I concluded I must have gotten a spot version with upgraded LED.

While I don't have any light meters to measure output with, my "new" X1v1 (spot) considerably out throws several models of flashlights of mine that, both, Quickbeam/Flashlightreviews.com and ledmuseum.org rated with greater lux. That X1v1, however is, maybe, "half a shade" brighter than my Dorcy AAAs in ceiling bounce but, clearly, not as bright as my X1v2.

dim

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Inova X1 Spot - White (comparison review linked) may be a later Nichia CS version - I was told bought Sept/2005 from Target - it is not obviously noticably bright - but neither is it dim.

However the spot is WAY too bright/intense for typical handheld distances like 8-12" - I think the "optimum" distance for me is closer to about 3.5ft - that's for reading on white paper.

The spot as others have observed is very even - which leads me to describe it as almost a "high definition" light - where I seem to see better sharper/clearer in the spot than any reflector light.

I like the Spot X1 a lot - just because it is different, and a bit specialized. Whereas the reflector X1 is nice but expensive for a single 5mm LED light - even if it runs on a single AA and is very well made - since I can easily have a 1/2watt single AA light.

Just as an aside - to use that nice even "hi-def" lighting - try the gen3 Spot Dorcy 1AAA, which is a lot more suited for typical handheld reading tasks its optium distance for me is closer to about 21" away from the paper surface - a bit awkward but not impractical.......

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been using rechargeables in my various X1's for ages, don't seem to be any probs even with my red led Modded one (You've GOT to do this for yourself!!), lithiums too, not much difference in brightness to my eyes, never measured runtime either.

Just got a new reflector type and once the duracell it comes with is dead or depleted, I'll try rechargeables in that too. Great lights all, one of my favourite torches (see my avatar!!:lolsign: ), slightly biased towards the old style though....

Be bright out there in the real world,Chaps and Chappesses...

Spongebob

Newly Enlightened
I was at Target today playing with a couple X1s and noticed when I fired it at the wall it did not produce a perfect circle. I first thought it was the packaging causing the effect but im not sure, I know I have tested them in the packageing before at Target and still got a near perfect round beam.

I never owned one and always felt the light had not real usefull applications except for spies (huge market I rekon lol) but if they actually have changed and its a usefull pocket lite I would be interested now. I also know Inova loves to make unanounced changes to thier lights.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

not2bright

Enlightened
Spongebob, where have you been? The new Inova X1 was all the talk around here about 8 weeks ago.

It now has a relfector rather than the optic. Do a search for X1 sorted by date and you will find all the info you need.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you guessed right. They have changed the X1.

Do a quick search and you'll find lots and lots of stuff-some good,I.E. now a more generally useful light-brighter than a CMG infinity and my 2 year old ARC AAA-p, and the bad - I.E. the lens is only glued in and has fallen out on a couple of people etc.

But I find I like the new version and the old one, so there ya go!Flashlightreviews has amended the review to include the new one so take a look there too.

carrot

Flashaholic
Nyctophiliac said:
Yeah, you guessed right. They have changed the X1.

Do a quick search and you'll find lots and lots of stuff-some good,I.E. now a more generally useful light-brighter than a CMG infinity and my 2 year old ARC AAA-p, and the bad - I.E. the lens is only glued in and has fallen out on a couple of people etc.

But I find I like the new version and the old one, so there ya go!Flashlightreviews has amended the review to include the new one so take a look there too.
What I hear is the latest revision to come out of the factory has had no problems with the lens falling out. I'm very happy with mine. Still wish I had picked up an older one to play with, but the new one has a very useable beam, and is a brightness that is just perfect for a small light. If I were to start flashaholism again and all I had was $20, I'd start with the X1, because it outputs enough light for most tasks one might want a light for (at least close range) and is well built.

InfidelCastro

Banned
carrot said:
What I hear is the latest revision to come out of the factory has had no problems with the lens falling out. I'm very happy with mine. Still wish I had picked up an older one to play with, but the new one has a very useable beam, and is a brightness that is just perfect for a small light. If I were to start flashaholism again and all I had was $20, I'd start with the X1, because it outputs enough light for most tasks one might want a light for (at least close range) and is well built.

If you want one, PM me. I'm sure there's still a few left at the local Target, I can pick you up one and mail it to you. They're $19.99.

dtsoll

Enlightened
The one I have has a beam identical to an Arc-P. I couldn't tell one from the other. Nice lights for twenty bucks. Doug:)