New Maglite 3rd Generation 2D/3D - 524 + 625 lumens stock!

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
You beat me to it.

6 D Cell Maglite LED
http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights...ltm-6-cell-d-led-flashlight.html#.VhAHkJNVK1E

I like to think they read all of my porduct reviews and suggestions whenever Ive filled out product registrations.

Im pretty disappointed with the proposed run time on ECO mode. Still 117hrs like the 3Ds? What's the point? To me that's sorta the beauty of having all those cells is to have a long run time.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
At that point i'd just prefer to go with the NiteCore EA81. Maglites don't stay at max run time for very long, though they do work well on D NiMH cells but i couldn't imagine carrying around a 6D flashlight. Even though the 6D would have better runtimes than the EA81 (heck a 2D Mag would outrun the EA81) but the 3D 3rd Gen Mag is still fairly good at 625 or so lumens for 16 hours. I haven't run any tests on 10,000mAh D NiMH cells yet, i just haven't had the time yet.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run my 3D with 8000mA NiMh D cells and like it very well. Another big improvement is the ability to go from a thrower to a good flood beam. The flood beam is way better than the old lights and is actually pretty good. I think Maglite did a very good job with this generation.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Do people who have these new gen Mags, notice a lower output when using NiMh's over Alkalines? Maglite tells me, output will be lower when using rechargeables.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried alkalines in mine when I got it. They operated in a slowly dropping off direct drive fashion. I see no output difference between alkys and NiMHs. The NiMHs I use provide regulation and better run times

maglite mike

Enlightened
My guess is it will retail for $75 or so. I'm getting one when the price comes down. Would be great if It had a candle power eco mode with 2000 hours or so run time. This is definitely a great emergency light for power outages etc.
Good lord! That 6 D looks incredible but $149?? 71 hour runtime on max? Will believe it when I see it...

maglite mike

Enlightened
The 6d maglite led is 177 hour run Time in Eco mode vs the 3d is 117 hour run time in Eco mode. Over 70 hours at 695 lumens ? Wow !
You beat me to it.

6 D Cell Maglite LED
http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights...ltm-6-cell-d-led-flashlight.html#.VhAHkJNVK1E

I like to think they read all of my porduct reviews and suggestions whenever Ive filled out product registrations.

Im pretty disappointed with the proposed run time on ECO mode. Still 117hrs like the 3Ds? What's the point? To me that's sorta the beauty of having all those cells is to have a long run time.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
But here's the thing. If you want a light that will run a long time on alkalines, you want a low power light like previous Mag LEDs. An XM-L/2 light will draw the batteries down too quickly. At the 2A draw that the 3D probably needs to sustain maximum output, capacoty drops to about 5500mAH (down from 11000mAH at the ,5A that the old 3D light draws). So optimizing the light for alkalines kind of defeats the purpose of having a high power light.

True statement.

maglite mike

Enlightened

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
I bought one of the 3rd Gen 2Ds in my fav mag color Gun Metal Grey. Arrived today. Never seen maglite come in a cardboard box like this before though.

20151203_143639.jpg

maglite mike

Enlightened
The ml 125, mag charger and few others are packaged in a card board box. I've never seen the regular D maglites in this box. Pretty cool.
I bought one of the 3rd Gen 2Ds in my fav mag color Gun Metal Grey. Arrived today. Never seen maglite come in a cardboard box like this before though.

20151203_143639.jpg