New Maglite 3rd Generation 2D/3D - 524 + 625 lumens stock!

dJippe

Newly Enlightened
Whats is the difference between ml300l and 3rd generation 2d/3d?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review Robin, especially with the run-time graphs comparing alkalines and NiMH batteries.
Did you list the mah of the NiMH batteries? I would think that they were the cheap 2500mah ones, not the tenergy 10,000 ones.
They were 2 x AA Eneloop HR3-UTGA in each D-cell adapter.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
had both the 2D and 3D 3rd gens since they came out and love them both. Run them off 11000mah Powerex Nimh's. The 3D may have higher output but the 2D just balances better in my hand and 525 lumens out of a D Mag sized reflector equals a very wide beam that throoooows. I swear putting AR coated glass in them both made a visible difference. Got the both for roughly $50 tremendous value. My local Wally world now stocks the 3rd Gens great to see. Neither light even gets warm on highest output love them...

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were 2 x AA Eneloop HR3-UTGA in each D-cell adapter.

If D nimh were used instead of the eneloops, what would the output curve look like I'm wondering? Would runtime at full brightness be longer, or does the circuit step down output over time regardless of battery condition? Thing is, I think 2xAA nimh will behave similarly to 2D alks under heavy load.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the reviewer used Eneloops in D adapters for the review? Why? Ive done the Eneloop in a D adapter on some of my D mags before and while they may power to level they dont do it for long. The 11000mah Powerex NiMH D's in both my 3rd Gens run for freaking ever and give full output for far faaaaar longer than a AA to D adapter set up ever could.

From what I recall Energizer D alkies pack over 10000mah. The difference between 2 alkie D's vs 2xAA D adapter set up would be the alkies would last far longer but have an erratic power feed like most alkies do. I must have over 25 new and old D Mags of all sizes that I have modified over the years. The only reason I went 2xAA D adapter set up at times was to save weight.

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Hi how long is the run time in high mode on the 3D 625 lm? After step down, using Nimh do you get eg 10 hours contant brightness till it falls out of regulation? How many hours would you say?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use two 3rd generation Maglites at work now - a 2C and a 2D.

I like them both in that they are powerful enough, have decent beam profiles and are good throwers; they also have three levels of light so that you can conserve power, really light up a room/reach out, or find the middle ground between the two.

My 2D has gotten noticeably warm near the switch when run on high for extended periods of time; not hot, but definitely noticeably warm.

I run AA->C and AA->D adapters with Eneloops in them. Why do I run single AAs instead of NiMH C and D cells or alkalines, it may be asked based on comments above? Because I don't want to risk alkaline leaks nor do I have the budget for NiMH C and D cells along with the equipment needed to charge them. So I purchased an Eneloop Power Pack that included a charger, 8AA, 2 AA->C and 2 AA->D adapters (note that that is two pieces of single-AA-to-larger-cell adapters); along with the Maglites it was a turnkey setup for my workplace.

I don't have run times for this setup, but I can say that they're much longer than I need for several shifts so it is working great for me and my circumstances!

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Hondo on the tip for the 3AA to D adapters. I have been looking for something like this without luck. Most are either only 1 or 2 cells.

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Hello

We ran out and bought a 3D 625 lumen version. Using new fresh Alkalines.

It's always nice to to have a flashlight that has simple battery loading, three D batteries in a tube, one after another. It's so easy to be in the dark, try to unload, and load fresh barteries in complete darkeness vs the difficulty of a Nitecore EA4 or even more difficult Fenix LD41, that has the separate battery carrier, eg wet hands on the rain gets on all contacts easier.

I have loaded all three flashlights and the 3D maglite is the easiest.

I did a comparison between the three flashlights and the brightest is the Nitecore EA4. Even at a simple 300 lumens (4hours run time constant 300 lumens brightness), the EA4 gave a much brighter illumination of distances from 1-100 meters.

It it was also astounding that the EA4 was better in the furthest long distance(beyond 100m) vs the maglite too (adjusting the focus to try to beat the nitecore EA4).

In short:

Brightest
EA4 at 300 lumens noticeably better then mag 3D 625 lumens. we can say perhaps mag looked like a 200-250 lumens brightness in terms of ea4.

Fastest battery reloads
Maglite is the easiest to change batteries, even in total darknesss (scary in forests or urban neighbourhoods without street lights-so faster reloads are great). Use a "two fish" bike Velcro adaptor, to use a maglite on a bike, works nicely, check if it fits the 3D, some unnamed brands do fit it easily like mine.

We hope this helps you, if your thinking of buying the ml300lx 3D 625 lumens Maglite.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
FireWire - not sure of all your testing but the maglight 3D should out throw and be brighter than the 300 lumen level of the Nitecore. Something must be wrong with your sample. From my comparisons, the 3rd generation Mag is pretty close to the specs they publish. It's pretty impressive for the price.

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
I was amazed too.

ok let's see if we can see what's happening.

I did a simple real world test, you know just pick up a flash light and compare in a forest.
I had 3 new d battery ZINC (sorry we did order alkalises) in the Maglite
Nmhi - medium battery left in Ea4

in the Maglite default mode, I press 1 click 625 lumens
immediately after I turned on ea4 in 300 lumens

I looked up close and far as the eye could see with both.

thats how I arrived at my shock. Is there any advise you can give me?

i would love to have the Maglite, be the king of the bike and also as a patrol light.

ps using Nmhi batteries how many hours till regulation drops out of high mode (625 lumens) ?

thank you in advance

Last edited:

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
Must be something amiss with your testing or equipment. The maglite is more than double the lumens of the Nitecore on the medium setting. Your findings would make sense if you had the Nitecore on the max setting, especially as you said the 625 mag lumens looked more 250 compared to the 300 lumen medium setting of the Nitecore.

I have the 2D 3rd Gen maglite and there's no question I'm getting 524 lumens from it when I turn it on. It's very impressive.

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Hello

just had a check.

the fenix ld41 @ 520 and nitecore ea4 @ 300,550and 860 all beat the maglite.

Now I am wondering if there are fakes of this maglite, and that mine is one of them. Or it's just faulty.

I am getting a refund so ill be able to start over. This will be great if its going to beat the nitecore and fenix, like it should.

Ps can you all check your reflectors. I have noticed the inner part looking like the hole wasn't big enough and the led pushing past going to the lens, had slightly scraped the reflector. It looked like eg aluminium foil that has little rips on its side. The reflector has slight bends and scrapes and the reflective material is not not smooth. Just on the edge, of the inner hole of the reflector itself.

I think this maglite was just a bad one off. I'm am really pleased that you all have a good one. Hopefully my next one will be great too. Imagine that, easy battery changes in total darkness, and brighter that ea4 and ld41.

I have waited so long for maglite to come out with this flashlight.

Thank you for all your friendly guidance and help.

Last edited:

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
It could be that yes. Every manufacturer will have a faulty one slip through. Don't worry you'll get a good one with the replacement.