New Mini Maglite Pro+ LED Flashlight

brted

Enlightened
So that 2 AA Mini Maglite Pro+ has 5 lumens more than the new MagCharger but the MagCharger is 434m throw and the Pro+ is 150m. I don't understand what cd is? like Pro+ is 5600cd and MagCharger is 47167cd. Which will be brighter for in room and outside? Is Pro+'s lens replaceable?

Candela is another way to measure throw. More at the link below. Lumen is total output. Indoors, a floody light like the MM Pro will light up the whole room. Outdoors, the charger will put more light on distant objects, so it will probably seem brighter.

http://flashlightwiki.com/ANSI-NEMA_FL-1

Thanks for the info on this light guys. I'm so glad to see Mag come out with a XP-G light with simple modes like this. Once they hit the local stores I don't think I'll be able to hold off buying one.

Last edited:

ff4life

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great write-up. You answered a lot of my questions. Just to clarify, you didn't notice any PWM on high, but did you check it again after the 12 minute drop-off? I assume there has to be something cutting back the power - just don't know how noticeable it is. Thanks.

I tested it and I let it run for 15 min just to be sure. I checked it on the shower and I honestly couldn't really notice anything with the water. Just to make sure it wasn't me I then quickly switched to LOW, and I could then notice some PWM on the water but it is very faint. If it wasn't pointed at water I would have 0 clue it had any PWM. But even when pointed at the water it isn't that noticible in my opinion. Some of you may be more suseptible to it.

Can you dissemble the head, like incondesent ones can? Like can take out the lens and the reflector?

Yes, you can dissemble the head just like the incandescent ones.

Last edited:

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
If possible, please dissemble the head and take a shot to the led side without battery.
I really want to see how they hold the led module.
Is it same way as normal 2AA miniMag led that use the black plastic retainer?
:thanks:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the light have to be pointed straight down or can it be pointed down at a comfortable angle? If it needs to be pointed straight down to 6 o clock, it could be awkward to do in a hurry so just wondering. thanks

ff4life

Newly Enlightened
carl....

It has to be pointed down within I'd say about 15 degrees from straight down. So it is pretty much straight down... However, it really isn't as awkward as it seems. Remember there is no tailcap switch. With a tailcap switch I can see it being awkward. But with the twist head on the minimag i just hold the flashlight straight down with my right hand, and rotate on with my left. It becomes natural very quickly and I find it to be a very easy system to operate.

If my girlfriend finds it simple.... It must be extremely simple lmao :thumbsup:

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the beam shots scenic, can you give us an update as to your overall opinion for the light now that you've had it a couple days.

It's a great all around flashlight. No surprises, just that solid Maglite build quality and simple design. Really bright for a Maglite and cheap easily available batteries. It would be great to give kids for boy scout camping, etc. I am going to use it as my go-to household flashlight that I am not afraid to beat up a little. Might buy a second one to keep in the car once colors come out.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad this is a flashlight forum and not a jury or something, geez you guys could solve both the Kennedy and the OJ case in a week or so if there were lumens involved.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Here's a little tidbit . . . .

Anybody else wish this thing had LOWER output, and LONGER runtime ? ? ?

Myself, i would prefer perhaps 10 to 15 Lumens.
(on Low setting)

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preliminary results...graph will be updated as tests are completed.

MMPro_Runtime.png

MMPro+_Runtime.png

MMPro_Runtime_90.png

Note about PWM: I'm using the new Extech SDL400 light meter for these tests, and it averages values in a different way than the HD450. As such, PWM won't be visible on the runtime graph.

Last edited:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Thanks for the preliminary graphs Robin. Does the head or battery tube get warm/hot over time? I was hoping that they would have redesigned the pill for better heatsinking. It appears (according to your preliminary graph) that there is a considerable amount of thermal sag running the emitter at around 1amp.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was actually away during the runtime test, so I don't know about heat. There is no thermal sag for sure though, based on the shape of the curve, it's programmed into the pill and irrelevant of battery chemistry, which makes it quite well regulated.

StudFreeman

Enlightened
It's good to see alkaline batts will hang with lithium until the end of the the ramp-down at ~1:15. I like this kind of duty cycle--regulated output, preceding linear output decay ramping, followed by flat output--because it does its job without short changing the user of much useable light. Testing to see how long regular alkaline AAs can provide a given amount of current, then figuring out how much that can be bumped up by, then insuring output doesn't just limp along at 11% for the final hour probably required a battery (hehe) of tests. As an engineering problem, finding that balance must have been like nailing Jell-O to a tree in July. :banghead:

Looking forward to the NiMH/duty cycle runtime test data. Thanks again Robin.

brted

Enlightened
This profile seems designed to game the FL1 standards. Get something bright for the first couple of minutes and then taper off to maximize runtime. I think it should still be a good light and I usually use a light only in short bursts anyway, but I don't see any reason for any light to be regulated to less than 50% of its initial brightness. That's what Medium is for.

StudFreeman

Enlightened
This profile seems designed to game the FL1 standards. Get something bright for the first couple of minutes and then taper off to maximize runtime. I think it should still be a good light and I usually use a light only in short bursts anyway, but I don't see any reason for any light to be regulated to less than 50% of its initial brightness. That's what Medium is for.

Even at <100% current draw, alkaline cells impose tight limits on power drawn versus regulated output. Consider Mag's consumer base: 7/10 people who buy this light will use regular coppertops. If they saw that it only had 1 hour runtime [ANSI], they'd probably go with the cheap 3xAAA Coleman/Rayovac light on the rack next to the Pro. I definitely agree with you about gaming ANSI runtime standards, though I think they designed it that way out of necessity.

Not exaggerating about the 1 hour runtime of certain 2xAA lights on alkaline cells, by the way! Scroll down a little more than halfway: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-(XP-G-R5)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

EDIT: If the MM Pro is like other recent lights from Mag it should return to 100% brightness if you turn it off and on (duty cycle timer).

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to note...after the Pro's runtime test, all batteries were still capable of at least 75% brightness (NiMH and L91 were close to 100%).

Pro tests have been completed, not sure what is going on with the NiMH. Will verify with the Pro+ and re-run if necessary.

EDIT: To answer the question about heatsinking, yes...the entire light gets very warm.

Last edited: