New Mini Maglite Pro+ LED Flashlight

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Eneloops will be the best option for the Mini Mag Pro lights. As LilKevin pointed out, this light will draw considerable current (for AA cells) on high mode, which will cause alkaline cells to suffer debilitating voltage droop. Rechargeables will chug away at ~1.2 volts till the bitter end.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nimh would be a problem if they were counting on alk voltage sag to limit current and therefore heat in a low mass body. Remember, Mag designs lights to be run on alks! That is their market. So many members criticize Mag for this and don't get it.

betweenrides

Newly Enlightened
Eneloops will be the best option for the Mini Mag Pro lights. As LilKevin pointed out, this light will draw considerable current (for AA cells) on high mode, which will cause alkaline cells to suffer debilitating voltage droop. Rechargeables will chug away at ~1.2 volts till the bitter end.

Thanks, Stud.

And I can honestly say that that phrase has never come out of my mouth before....

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Debilitating voltage droop is nothing to sneeze at. Symptoms include lack of energy, depressed voltage, inability to deliver current on demand, and, if alone for a very, very long time, even :green:.

Make sure to eat plenty of vegetables, exercise lights daily, and always, always stick with Eneloops or "AA" lithium primary cells.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's great to see Maglite getting current on emitters and output. 245 ANSI lumens is a lot and we were all freakin' out when we broke the 200 OTF barrier not long ago. Finally your average joe can get some decent output from a small form factor at big box stores. I also love how Maglite finds a way to keep the costs very reasonable and still they are made in the US.

betweenrides

Newly Enlightened
nice.
i have not saw those are these on the market?
where do i buy one?

thx

Have not seen in retail stores yet, but according to Maglite support, Gander Mtn in US will be one of the first. For now only online availability. This thread mentions a few options - go to page 6-7.

While typing this, my new Pro+ was delivered....:)

Truejdm

Newly Enlightened
Someone here should be the first to post a review with beam shots on YouTube.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Lets go people, I know some of you have your lights already. Lets see some beamshots OR a written opinion of it compared to some other well known lights (brightness) in the same category.

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
Yes, i KNOW some of you have them by now. If no one posts anything and mine comes today, ill try and post some feedback tonight.

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
Got mine! Had just a few minutes at lunch to take some quick photos. I compared it to my 300 lumen Jetbeam BC20, and it seems almost as bright. In the photos, mag is on the right. The spot to flood feature doesn't do that much, seems more for fine tuning and cleaning up the beam profile than actually doing spot to flood. Once i turned it just right to get a nice spot, it compared well to the clean profile of the Jetbeam. The tint is slightly different, and it is less floody. I am very happy so far, and can't wait to try it out tonight. I will post some outdoor beam shots if i can later on.
6882733755_22ca5eefbf_z.jpg
6882731187_252ee46456_z.jpg
6882725343_70494efd13_z.jpg
6882722207_8dd14d993f_z.jpg

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Got mine! Had just a few minutes at lunch to take some quick photos. I compared it to my 300 lumen Jetbeam BC20, and it seems almost as bright. In the photos, mag is on the right. The spot to flood feature doesn't do that much, seems more for fine tuning and cleaning up the beam profile than actually doing spot to flood. Once i turned it just right to get a nice spot, it compared well to the clean profile of the Jetbeam. The tint is slightly different, and it is less floody. I am very happy so far, and can't wait to try it out tonight. I will post some outdoor beam shots if i can later on.
Finally some beamshots. Very nice, thank you!!

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Appreciate the shots, Scenic. It's kind of hard to gauge color temperature/tint from pics. What's it like in person?

my#1hobby

Enlightened

Just noticed your serial number is 5054 and the OPs serial number is 5055 lol.

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
That's funny about the serial number. I think we both ordered from Brightguy.com from the same batch. The temperature is hard to describe. I don't have much experience comparing tints, but it seems slightly less yellow than my Jetbeam but not overly cool either. Whatever it is, I like the tint. Seems very pure white. I will have to study it better when I get off work and it gets dark. Only thing I don't like so far is having to twist it just the right amount to get a perfect beam profile every time i turn it on.

All in all I think it will turn out to be a good product for Maglite. Only around $30 for an American made light that is plenty bright. Also I love the interface. So easy to just point it down to get low power, instead of having to twist off/on/off etc.