NEW OLIGHT M20 WARRIOR

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
Problems with Olight M20

For some reason the low battery indicator on my Olight M20 will flash 3 times, even when my battery is nearly fully charged. The instructions say that it will flash 3 times every 20 seconds when they are low, but mine are not low. It usually happens when I first turn it on and it blinks rapidly 3 times. When I leave it on, it does not flash like that again. It only does it when I initially turn it on. Later, after a long runtime, it will begin to flash like that again, and has continued to run on the highest setting for quite a long time, indicating that it is again premature. My battery is an Ultrafire 2400, which I got new with the light. Does it just need to be used/drained a few times before the light stops doing this, or is there something wrong with the M20 itself?

Thanks

Last edited:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Problems with Olight M20

I've noticed that my M20 starts flickering when the battery voltage drops below 3.6V. At this voltage there is not more than 10-20% of energy left in the 18650 battery. And because the light is unregulated it still can work for an hour or so. I agree that the limit could be lower, but at least it will be very safe to use unprotected cells.

But it doesn't flash when you switch it on and the battery is fresh so maybe there is something wrong with your light.

Gator762

Enlightened
News as for this, managed to fix the malfunction by myself :party:

Seems as if not the drop caused the malfunction, but changing the reflector several times. The pill is maintained at the front by a sturdy metal ring, pushing it down against the back of the head.
But as the reflector screws into the pill, it happens also to unscrew it when changing the reflector if the ring is not fixed very well :ohgeez:

I screwed down the front ring firmly, and now it works properly again

So no RMA-return for this one :D

MiniLux

Good news on a number of fronts!

Your M20 isn't busticated. :)
It isn't so fragile.
Pill might be user remove able.

Scott Green

Newly Enlightened
I finally got to put mine to use last night, I am doing some security work at a freight yard. So my partner thinks he sees somthing by one of the trailers, a good 500 ft away. No problem for this light, did the job nicely.

Also, I would agree with others, this light is smaller than I thought it would be......perfect size for EDC, and the holster that it comes with is way to good to be included for free. All in all, I am very pleased with this light.....can't wait to see what Olight comes up with next!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re: Problems with Olight M20

My battery is an Ultrafire 2400, which I got new with the light. Does it just need to be used/drained a few times before the light stops doing this, or is there something wrong with the M20 itself?

Thanks

At first, I was thinking there might be something wrong with your M20. But then you mentioned using an Ultrafire rechargeable cell. While their chargers are decent, Ultrafire cells are about as consistant as the sanity level in a mental institution. Sometimes decent, sometimes sporadic, sometimes won't-work-right-out-the-box!

Test your M20 with two CR123 cells or an AW 18650 if you have one. If the light then keeps doing the same thing, send it back for a replacement.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the ultrafire 18650 batteries,I had two in a WF-500 when I went to charge them one did charge the other dead :ohgeez:

I often wonder if ultrafire salvage 18650's from lap top batteries and re-label them :whistle:

djblank87

Enlightened
Really?? :huh:

Oh Sweet! :twothumbs

Yep, as long as you remove the ring and clip. That is a major must have for me, I like all my smaller lights to be able to fit in a SF V70. I took the M20 out last night, it's a damn good thrower with the SMO reflector. It out threw my BOG Q5, Malkoff M60 and Fenix TK11 with no problems. It's like a pencil beam with a decent amount of spill.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, as long as you remove the ring and clip. That is a major must have for me, I like all my smaller lights to be able to fit in a SF V70. I took the M20 out last night, it's a damn good thrower with the SMO reflector. It out threw my BOG Q5, Malkoff M60 and Fenix TK11 with no problems. It's like a pencil beam with a decent amount of spill.
I'm thinking of getting a SMO reflector for my M20 and just wanted to know if it makes much difference than the OP - because I am amazed how far this tiny light throws as it is :thumbsup:
PS: do have any pix or could you take some of the diff in throw between OP & SMO?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A fellow CPFer mentioned that a Fenix P1 will fit neatly into one of the side pockets of the M20 holster. (It won't be a perfect fit, as the P1 is rather short and will need to be fished out of the side pocket. Still, a good idea to carry a spare light in the Olight holster).

I don't own a P1, so I tried a couple of other lights in one of the side pockets. My Inova X1 was, ironically, a poor fit. But the thicker Dorcy Super 1 Watt was a perfect fit. (Carried Bezel-up). The top of the bezel is actually flush with the top of the holster. A good, snug fit; without being too tight. Gives you the option of instantly reaching for a single CR123 light that gives lower-output for close-up chores. It's not a tactical light, but a good way to make the Olight holster more versatile. The Dorcy is also quite a bit cheaper than a Fenix P1, and can be found at your local Target store.

For those unfamiliar with this light, here's a review....

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_super1w.htm

mechBgon

Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting a SMO reflector for my M20 and just wanted to know if it makes much difference than the OP - because I am amazed how far this tiny light throws as it is :thumbsup:
PS: do have any pix or could you take some of the diff in throw between OP & SMO?

I have both reflectors. The difference in throw doesn't seem to be very great to my naked eyes. I lent out my digital camera, but should be getting it back this weekend, so if no one else posts pics, I'll try to do that Sunday night.

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened
I received the M20 this morning of Sept. 6th (I bought the light as a gift for my brother for his birthday) and what a nice looking light it is. It's a little longer than the CL1HV4 and TK11 even without the strike bezel and a wee bit skinnier.

The beam itself is ringy, but that has never bothered me. Even with the OP reflector, it seems to have a smaller, more intense hot spot than the TK11. These are just "white wall comparisons" and by no means a review, I don't wanna tick people off for giving bad info.
Overall, this is one sexy, sleek looking light. I'm very happy with the buy and I'm sure my brother will love his new toy. The M20 will do the job it's intended for nicely. This gift will bring him to the "light" side I'm sure.:laughing:

My only concern is that I ordered the light with the smooth reflector and it didn't come with the package. I contacted customer service at battery junction via e-mail so I'm hoping this gets resolved quickly. (paid $9.95 extra for the SMO) Matt, is there anything else I should do?

How does the light compare to the Dereelight CL1HV4? Did you get the R2 version of the Warrior?

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened
How does the light compare to the Dereelight CL1HV4? Did you get the R2 version of the Warrior?

Follow up: I have both lights now, with both sets of reflectors, both in R2.

Having used them both, the Warrior seems better made. Hands down the winner on fit, finish and ergonomics. It also out throws the Dereelight and has lots of good spill.

That being said, the Dereelight is smaller and makes a better EDC.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would Cree go to the trouble of making a premium R2 emitter, then mount it incorrectly under the dome? :shrug:

My M20 is made really well, but the emitter they should have rejected makes a stinker of a beam, especially when I use the smooth reflector. :mad:

IMG_2342.jpg