NEW OLIGHT M20 WARRIOR

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overpriced Chinese lites. For that kind of money, I would rather get a Surefire.

Fenix L2D series do not withstand heavy usage either. I just had one fail on me again, second time within the last year.

I would too. A 200+ lumen (not blue beamed) Surefire that will work well on an 18650!!! I would pay $300 for that kind of light...Is there one you could suggest?

I mean, I have played with a U2, and L5 and almost bought one of each during Sportsman's Warehouse's last clearance sale when I could get either (or both) for 1/2 off... but I as worried about U2 tailcap issues and did not like the donut hole. Then the L5 for $95 was REALLY tempting.... if it would have been even as close to the Fenix T1 in brightness, I would have gladly bought it....but I just could not make myself do it and take the performance drop.

I do like high end lights, so the $$$ is not a problem. I like Surefire's....I have bought over 10 of them. I bought a E2DLed...and I liked it, except I wanted a little more side spill... and the 6Pled....well, 80 lumens of blue light was not that impressive to me.

I AM NOT BASHING SUREFIRE! I have spent more $$$ on them than many of their "Superfans" who so quickly come in to defend them when they feel they are being bashed....which is fine. And I do not want to start any kind of "flame war"

But, for those who jump in with "I would rather buy a Surefire" comments when slamming a kind of light that Surefire does not even offer....200 lumens, (yes, I know you can sit on a pre-order list for unseen lights for 6 months or so...) multi level, 18650 cabible etc... I think your not being realistic or fair.

I would also (most likely...after I have seen one or at least read some members comments or a good review) rather have a Surefire....but as for Right Now.... they make nothing in this lights league. When they do.... I will verry likely be a happy customer again.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using this logic that means no multi-level light should be used for tactical purposes and that seems a bit absurd to me.
It doesn't mean that at all. Look at SF and Fenix TK series, they have multiple modes but when you want max you can get it without wondering what mode your in. On the TK series you have to check the bezel position, but just tighten it down. The typical tactical light does not require the light to be lit to establish a known state.

Anyway it is just a question, and not everyone works the same way.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Quick top to bottom Review
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've had my black Olight M20 Warrior for a few days now. So I decided to do a quick review, starting with the tailcap. The first time I unscrewed it, I dropped it. Since it is marketed as a tough tactical light, I decided just to rinse off the tailcap with running tap-water. (Not something I normally do with my lights, except for my Surefires). The tailcap is water-tight. I wiped off the water, tossed my last two Duracell CR123 cells into the light, screwed the tailcap back on, and fired it up with no problems at all. If you're looking for a tailcap specifically designed for striking an attacker, you're better off with a Surefire E2DL or E2D. However, the tailcap on the M20 can be pressed into service for such a role. In such a situation, you're not likely to strike an Attacker square on. You're more likely to hit him at a bit of an angle. As such, this tailcap can induce quite a bit of pain. Not sure if Olight specifically designed the tailcap with that in mind, but it works great that way. The tailcap is excellent.

Moving on to the grip-ring.... I took mine off the instant I tried the light on for size. The grip-ring is far too sharp and thin. My first Surefire was a C2 model, and I have yet to encounter a metal grip-ring that comes even close to how well the thick, rubber, grip-ring works on my C2 model. The metal grip-rings on my Gladius and Fenix TK10 were also disappointments. Two small problems when removing the grip-ring on the M20.... You lose the light's lanyard attachment, and the threads used to screw on the grip-ring become exposed. Unlike my TK10, you don't get a spare, smooth, metal ring to put over the Olight's threads. And such a ring would really be useful since it would fit over the top of the clip of the M20 for an even more secure hold of the clip itself.

Speaking of the clip, it's the wrap-around variety. Such clips are fine, if they are designed to fit into a groove on the body of the light in order to keep them from shifting around. The M20 clip fits into a groove. While it's more secure with the grip-ring in place, the clip never let me down in all the times I've clipped the light to my pants pocket. Quick withdrawl and insertion caused no shifting of the clip at all. The body of the clip is fine. So is the portion that wraps around the barrel. But the point at which those two meet, is very thin. (It has to be, since the grip-ring literally fits over the top of the clip). This thin amount of metal has me concerned as to the long-term durability of the clip.

The body or barrel of the M20 is of good thickness. Two things I don't like about it. One, despite the clear similarity of the checkering to Inova's T-series line of lights; the checkering on the barrel of the M20 is surprisingly shallow. (It looks to be cut deeper in all of the pics I've seen of the M20). My 2007 Inova T3 has a very secure grip, thanks to the deeply cut checkering. My Olight M20 can get a bit slick in the hand. Very surprising and a bit unfortunate. It also doesn't help that one of the two flat panels on the barrel seems to be positioned perfectly where the flats of my finger tips end up; after pulling the light from my pants pocket and gripping the barrel. Falls into the same spot each time.

The other thing I don't like is more subjective. There's no need to put a mall-ninja favored name on this great light. M20 would have been fine. Perhaps Olight believes the light will sell better with a cool name. (They wouldn't be the first company to make such a mistake). I'd much prefer it if the word "Warrior" wasn't imprinted on the barrel.

The ring, for lack of a better word, that you can grip in order to change setting is nicely done. Very simple and very nice. Thanks to the memory feature, this is one of the few lights out there that can be set to turn on in strobe mode. A nice feature for LEOs or Operators who like their Gladius but are perhaps looking for a brighter version that also features a grip-ring.

Below the head is the strike bezel. While not as aggressive as what you'll find on some other lights also equipped with a strike bezel, it will definitely get the job done. Best part is, it can be removed if you want something that won't scare the sheeple. One nice attention to detail is that the lens is nicely recessed even with the strike bezel removed. No need to worry that the lens might be easily scratched or broken if you drop the light.

A word about the included accessories....

The holster is the best freebie holster I have ever seen, hands down. The lanyard is also a cut above the rest. You get an actual metal lobster-claw ring on the end, instead of a circular piece of dental floss that you have to fold over.

I have not used the battery magazine. Mainly because the light does not rattle with 2xCR123 cells in place. I see the battery magazine as being more useful for swapping out nearly dead cells with a fresh set in only a few seconds. It's doubtful anyone will realistically need to do that. But it's nice having that option, and makes for a good way to carry spare primaries; if you decide to use the holster.

Overall: I'm happy with this light. Would prefer a more secure grip. Wish the checkering was better. And I'd make the flats on the barrel narrower. It's nice how you can customize this light to your own tastes by removing those features that you feel you don't need. Being able to use more than one battery type is also a plus. However, like my Tiablo A9S, the M20 seems to give overall better performance with primary CR123 cells. The beam is perfectly circular. (At least on my sample). A nice hotspot, better than useable sidespill, and surprisingly good throw. Not as good as my A9S, but still; very impressive. (Sorry guys, no digital camera to take beamshots). Despite the light's size, I found it very comfortable clipped to the front pocket of a pair of pants. For those of you looking for a brighter Gladius or Typhoon II replacement, and you can live without the ramping effect or the ability to change modes with only one hand, the Olight M20 Warrior is worth looking into.

EDIT ~ Forgot to mention that my M20 is the version with the R2 emitter.

Last edited:

Gator762

Enlightened
Not quite; when cells are in serial configuration (+ to -) their voltage doubles, not their capacitance; in parallel configuration (+ to +, -to -) the capacity is doubled and the voltage remains unchanged. To double voltage AND capacity you need 4 batteries.

Thus 2 RCR123A in serial are ~7.4V and lets say 750mah(5.5Wh) , 1x18650 is ~3.7V at 2200mah (8.14Wh) but this assumes that all else is equal - which it's not as the 18650 has much lower internal resistance and those RCR123A aren't really going to deliver 750mah. Realistically, assuming a light engine optimized for RCR123A vs one optimized for 18650 the 18650 will deliver about twice the runtime, not 50% more.

Thanks for correcting me! Learn stuff all the time here. :)

Wattnot

Enlightened
Does anyone else here think that the 'last-mode memory' feature actually removes the M20 from fitting the typical definition of a tactical light for security forces? They want, and seem to need, guaranteed MAX on activation.

What am I missing with Olight targeting tactical usage for this light?

I am with you on this. I was about to order one but stopped to think about it some more when I read of this "feature." This is why I went with the P2D over the Olight T10 last year.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I am with you on this. I was about to order one but stopped to think about it some more when I read of this "feature." This is why I went with the P2D over the Olight T10 last year.

I don't see what the issue is.

If you want your light to turn on in Max brightness mode, just set it to that mode before stepping out the door. That's what I did with my M20 the first night I went out with it clipped to my pocket. Before putting on my shoes, I checked my light. It was set to strobe mode. I cycled it until I reached High mode, clipped the light to my pocket, and walked out the door.

How is the memory mode feature a problem?

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any LEO or military personnel care to comment?

My take is don't worry about marketing. We get hung up on the word tactical here and get images of Hollywood movies. I prefer duty light as it's more descriptive. Plenty of LEO and military use their lights for many, many things that don't involve kicking in doors and going in guns blazing. The light does need to be ready for something like that worst case. The individual LEO or military member will decide if a light fits their unique situation.

My take on the M20 vs the Tk10 for on duty:
- the M20 is more flexible - low and strobe
- the flexibility requires "maintenance" of the memorized mode to make sure you aren't surprised and also costs you the ability to check/change modes with the light off
- If being visually stealthy with the light exposed and turned off matters, I don't like either of them. I don't like the stainless steel bezel or the "copper colored" ring (with grip ring off).
- Only one of the 4 M20 modes would be bad for the short range fight if it came to screwing up.

Is one tactical and the other not? Who cares. They both are what the are. You could call them both "cute and fuzzy bunny" lights and they still would operate in the same way. Maybe they could call it the M20 Snuggler

...as long as they don't engrave "Snuggler" and a picture of a bunny on the side. :D

Sector7

Enlightened
Re: Olight new M20 VS....

For a duty light, I would go for the Malkoff M60 in the 6P for the reason of realiablity and carry CR123 spares. Gene's creations are highly reliable were as the M20 is new and totally untested in the field. One CPFer on another thread said he dropped his M20 and the torch was acting funky afterwards. The current Olight warranty doesn't even cover electrical circuit failures. What does that say?

I have the M20 and love it but I wouldn't trust it as a duty light yet.

Gator762

Enlightened
OK, I searched and this question doesn't seem to have been asked...

Are the pills glued or thread locked in? I'm hoping they wouldn't be too hard to swap as future emitters come out...

Sector7

Enlightened
-
Is one tactical and the other not? Who cares. They both are what the are. You could call them both "cute and fuzzy bunny" lights and they still would operate in the same way. Maybe they could call it the M20 Snuggler

...as long as they don't engrave "Snuggler" and a picture of a bunny on the side. :D

I like to take my M20 Snuggler to bed and keep me safe. :grin2:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
hey monocrom, do you think this would stack up against something lower priced such as a a fenix p3d or the newer pd30?

I own a Fenix P3D Q5. Side-by-side, the M20 is brighter on the same settings. (Except for low-mode, where the M20 appears to have a very slightly lower Low than the P3D).

M20 definitely has the better beam. Just as round as the P3D, but with significantly more sidespill. It's the throw that really sets these two lights apart. My P3D is decent, my M20 crushes it for throw. Both lights have a simple UI. The P3D normally rides in the breast pocket of my uniform, without a clip or holster. Certainly couldn't pull that off with my M20.

If you need something that's compact & lightweight, the P3D has a huge advantage over the M20. For everything else, I'd go with the M20.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I searched and this question doesn't seem to have been asked...

Are the pills glued or thread locked in? I'm hoping they wouldn't be too hard to swap as future emitters come out...

They're either thread locked or really tight - I couldn't get it out in a casual effort.

My take is don't worry about marketing. We get hung up on the word tactical here and get images of Hollywood movies. I prefer duty light as it's more descriptive. Plenty of LEO and military use their lights for many, many things that don't involve kicking in doors and going in guns blazing. The light does need to be ready for something like that worst case. The individual LEO or military member will decide if a light fits their unique situation.
Is one tactical and the other not? Who cares. They both are what the are. You could call them both "cute and fuzzy bunny" lights and they still would operate in the same way.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
M20 doesn't work with regulation on single Li-Ion but 2xRCR123 won't give decent runtime. There is one solution. 18350 Li-Ion cells!:naughty:
633571263164216250.JPG

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two of those will be much longer than an 18650.. Have you tested them?

Based off of KD numbers they are 4.5cm each, whereas a trustfire 18650 is 7cm. That makes for an extra 2cm to try and stuff in there.

Last edited:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I updated my post above Glenn. I agree that is what it *should* be, but going off KDs measurements that is not the case. That said I have ordered a pair to try out in my MRV.

Last edited: