*new* Olight M2X-UT Javelot: 800+ meters throw on 1x18650!

ven

Flashaholic
Re: Olight Factory de-domed?!

I do agree when lights are compared next to each other as i have witnessed it too Roberto/FlashKat ,i remember my x3vn being very yellow when tested,on its own fine!! (as with many lights compared next to each other,i find my eyes adjust and exaggerate the tint)

So yes,not fair comparison on vid,just the comment threw me with the "Thats what they look like!" If they dont then i take it back:thumbsup: however i still prefer a larger hot spot over a narrow one.

I should know by now unless you actually see it by eye its very hard to judge tint,you can only get a rough idea from pics or vids:thumbsup:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can guarantee if Vinh modified this light before Olight did the response would be the opposite of what I am reading here, and you would be willing to pay twice as much.

This.

Capolini

Banned

I actually like my M2X-UT with the tight spot, and the LED color is exactly what I was expecting.
Overall the size, feel, and operation is great.
I can guarantee if Vinh modified this light before Olight did the response would be the opposite of what I am reading here, and you would be willing to pay twice as much.

I don't know if you can compare this light to "If" Vinh modded it.It is not a fair comparison because Vinh does a lot more than Dedoming the LED. The main reason he would get a better reaction is because he would Boost the amps, Improve the heat sinking if needed[usually is] and put PDT LED in which would improve the tint.

For his own personal reasons and preference he told me he is modding the Two he got[samples] but NOT doing a run on these.

As far as the M2X-UT goes, I do not have any complaints. I got a remarkable deal and know what to expect from a "Domeless" light!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's all perception. Even if Vinh did not make any changes people would still give a positive review.
I don't know if you can compare this light to "If" Vinh modded it.It is not a fair comparison because Vinh does a lot more than Dedoming the LED. The main reason he would get a better reaction is because he would Boost the amps, Improve the heat sinking if needed[usually is] and put PDT LED in which would improve the tint.

For his own personal reasons and preference he told me he is modding the Two he got[samples] but NOT doing a run on these.

As far as the M2X-UT goes, I do not have any complaints. I got a remarkable deal and know what to expect from a "Domeless" light!

Capolini

Banned

It's all perception. Even if Vinh did not make any changes people would still give a positive review.

I am one who speaks my mind! I am not one of his minions! Sure, some of his followers think he can do nothing wrong. That has caused me heated debates and some problems on his threads!

I don't see this light as getting a negative response. It is about preferences.

If people are complaining about the tint, they either are not familiar w/ domeless lights or may be comparing it to something they like better.

SureAddicted

Enlightened

however i still prefer a larger hot spot over a narrow one.

Erm...the hotspot is large when illuminating subjects at 50 metres and over.
Which idiot would buy a customized thrower to use as a general purpose light, to light up subjects a few yards away?
This thread is a clear representation of people not researching and finding out the hard way.
At least Olight has the balls to be adventurous and creative...which other manufacturer does that, the majority just copy each other.

This light has the UT designation, why are people buying this light and giving it a bad wrap when they dont need an ultra thrower?
Just because Olight make it, does not mean you have to go out and buy it.
I don't think many realise that the SR95 UT also uses a domeless LED. The majority of decdicated throwers have tight beams, this is nothing new.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am that idiot. A few yards? How about 30 feet? How about ceiling bounce it to take a shower in the bathroom or preparing food in the kitchen? That's how I have used this light in addition to looking at things far away. There are lots of general purpose uses for this light. Don't let narrow mindedness destroy your thinking.

magicstone12

Banned

I wasn't referring to anyone specific in this thread.

I'm more inclined to use a light switch indoors, but that's just me...I know, weird huh.

I thinks it is a watse to use this 800 lumens olight flashlight indoor,it can performances well in the outside

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thinks it is a watse to use this 800 lumens olight flashlight indoor,it can performances well in the outside

This light has 3 modes. The lowest modes is listed at 20lm. That's what I use indoor for non-tactical purposes.

By your reasoning small lights that can produce 1000lm such as the Zebralight SC62 and many others are a waste to use indoor, yes?

Just because a light has the word "tactical" on it, does that mean I can only use outdoors or attached to a gun? Lumens are lumens. Many new lights that can produce 1000lm or more also have moonlight modes. Those moonlight modes are there to make the lights more versatile indoors or outdoors, "tactical" or general use.

Similarly, the low mode on my M2X is there to make this light more versatile. But jeez I can't use it indoor because it's a "tactical" light. It's the only light I have with me in my hand as I walk down a dark hall way in the middle night. What do I do? It can't use it because it's a "tactical" light. Oh, no what to do!

TEEJ

Flashaholic

This light has 3 modes. The lowest modes is listed at 20lm. That's what I use indoor for non-tactical purposes.

By your reasoning small lights that can produce 1000lm such as the Zebralight SC62 and many others are a waste to use indoor, yes?

Just because a light has the word "tactical" on it, does that mean I can only use outdoors or attached to a gun? Lumens are lumens. Many new lights that can produce 1000lm or more also have moonlight modes. Those moonlight modes are there to make the lights more versatile indoors or outdoors, "tactical" or general use.

Similarly, the low mode on my M2X is there to make this light more versatile. But jeez I can't use it indoor because it's a "tactical" light. It's the only light I have with me in my hand as I walk down a dark hall way in the middle night. What do I do? It can't use it because it's a "tactical" light. Oh, no what to do!

LOL

I think tactical now means its black?

:D

I do disagree with "Lumens are Lumens" in the used context though, as a 100 watt light bulb's 1,800 lumens do not look like a spotlight's 1,800 lumens, even though they are both 1,800 lumens.

If your position is that the spotlight pattern (Throw pattern) is OK for your indoor use, and you are happy with it, then it IS OK for you, regardless of why.

If your position is that you are UNHAPPY with the way the light is distributed (Throw pattern), then it is NOT OK for you, regardless of why.

In the thread above, I see people arguing about whether a throw pattern is best indoors, and, essentially some are saying it works for them, and others are saying it doesn't work for them. They are both right of course.

Generally, MOST people prefer a floody beam indoors, as at close ranges (Less than 50 meters for example), a throwy light can glare too much to be as useful as a floody beam would have been in the same circumstances. IE: The tight pattern concentrates the light in a small area, so that its harder to see everything at once. The floody pattern shows everything at once.

So, if a floody zebra floods a room with 1,000 L, it looks like you turned on the room lights...you see the entire room. If a tight throw light with 1,000 L goes on, you see a bright dot of light...and some scattered peripheral light on stuff.

So its not that you CAN'T use a throw patterned light indoors, its just that a floody light tends to do a better job when at ranges more in line with the sub-50 meter end of things. The exceptions are where you need to see into a tight space or down a long corridor or crawl space/chase, into equipment, etc....but if you want to take a shower during a power outage, a bounced flood works better than a bounced thrower, even if both "work".

:D

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone has an Olight M22 as well as the M2X, side-by-side pictures as well as beamshots would be greatly appreciated.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

My SC62 has slightly sharp edges where I took the clip off. Not much of a clip person except for my D25C2vn,a petite and powerful light!

Anyway , I got a file and filed the semi sharp edges where the clip was.

I don't really want to file off the finish. For now I have settled for some foam and duct tape -- no more tailstanding but no blister on my thumbs either. The other poster was right about some people not doing their homework before purchasing this light. I should have done my homework on its ergonomics. Sadly this kind of thing is rarely mentioned in the fan club reviews.
M2X_zpsaeed563d.jpg

Capolini

Banned

I don't really want to file off the finish. For now I have settled for some foam and duct tape -- no more tailstanding but no blister on my thumbs either. The other poster was right about some people not doing their homework before purchasing this light. I should have done my homework on its ergonomics. Sadly this kind of thing is rarely mentioned in the fan club reviews.
M2X_zpsaeed563d.jpg

Whatever works! My SC62 is a much smaller light and I barely had to file anything which can hardly be noticed. I could understand why you would not want to file the M2X.

I just checked mine[as I took a pic. w/ M22 for Ryp] and the tail cap edges are fine,they are rounded enough.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Great, thanks! The M2X is not as large as I originally thought (which is a good thing).

Your welcome. The M2X IS 6.4" and the M22 IS 5.7",~ 3/4" Difference.

Capo will be happy tomorrow,,we are getting 4" to 6" of Snow.

Last edited:

Latest posts