*new* Olight S30R II (version 2)

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is the battery inserted the wrong way in the second photo?

markr6

Flashaholic

LOL good catch!! They already had the nice artwork ready and didn't want the print on the battery to read backwards!

GoingGear.com

Enlightened

It's the right way for this light, if it's anything like the prototypes I've seen. :)

The S30R II is coming with a customized battery in both mAh versions. You can use other 18650s in the light, but you will not be able to charge them in the light.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
do not see why it cannot charge other 18650s unless its got a negative and positive end on it like the 26650 in the R40A. I believe the PCBs are in house designed by Olight. Still cannot find if the base cell is a Panny or a Sanyo.

Camo5

Newly Enlightened
I have the s30R gen 1. the charger is like any other lithium charger. it will charge all 18650 batteries you shove into the light. I want to have a word with olight and demand one of their 3600 batteries to ship with that new tailcap and charger...

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to get a battery with the tail cap and charger as well. I know they have done everything they can trying to fix the first gen problems but the extra touch would be nice.

kj2

Flashaholic
It's the right way for this light, if it's anything like the prototypes I've seen. :)

The S30R II is coming with a customized battery in both mAh versions. You can use other 18650s in the light, but you will not be able to charge them in the light.

So I was right :)

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes you were kj2, here is Olight's second response over in the 2nd Gen battery thread,

"The new batteries that come with the S30R II are proprietary for the charging function. You can use other 18650's in the light such as our 3400 but you will not be able to charge it due to a different battery composition." -Olight

For me that isn't to big of a deal, at least any spare 18650 can be used and I don't have to have a bunch of dedicated batteries for one light. Use the dedicated battery for normal use but I'm at least have the option for others.

FrontLineFodder

Newly Enlightened
I like the look of this light,

I assume the original SR30 would have a similar lens/output ? what kind of Flood/Thow would I expect ?

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
do not see why it cannot charge other 18650s unless its got a negative and positive end on it like the 26650 in the R40A. I believe the PCBs are in house designed by Olight. Still cannot find if the base cell is a Panny or a Sanyo.

It does have a negative and positive on the traditionally positive end. The other side is negative only.

Flashy808

Enlightened
I have heard that the magnetic tailcap on the 1st gen was not very strong and could very easily be knocked off/fallen down if it was used horizontally is this still present in the 2nd gen do you think? Or perhaps (presuming you own one) could you try it please? :grin2:

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
It does have a negative and positive on the traditionally positive end. The other side is negative only.

Going Gear, I had send my Olight S30R on April for repair, and I bought my buddy S30R few months ago from you guys, He also send it back to you guys for repair, I had talk to Jessie today, He said that, the new shipment is on the way, Me and my buddy should receive it nest week, It's a Version 2?

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
What I heard from the distributor here, is that the S30R II uses a custom battery, like the R20 uses. So I think you won't be able to charge a standard 18650 in the light. But we will know for sure, when Olight releases the light.
And the distributor also told me Olight uses a different brand (probably Sanyo) instead of Panasonic for their 3600mAh 18650.

Panasonic bought the Sanyo battery division a few years back. But they still use the Sanyo name. The Sanyo's are less expensive. The Panasonic 18650B is one of the most bullet-proof 18650's out there. One reason Tesla uses them exclusively. And it is the battery against which all others are compared to. We tend to focus only on capacity, usually on the first or second test cycle. However, long-term coulomb efficiency, voltage drop, and other measures are just as important. Durability is where the Panasonics stand out, hence their higher cost. The main cost components of a lithium-ion batteries are the cost of the materials for making the anode, cathode and separator. Everyone is trying to substitute lower-cost materials in order to make a lower cost battery for less critical applications.