*new* Olight S30R II (version 2)

kj2

Flashaholic
Panasonic bought the Sanyo battery division a few years back. But they still use the Sanyo name. The Sanyo's are less expensive. The Panasonic 18650B is one of the most bullet-proof 18650's out there. One reason Tesla uses them exclusively. And it is the battery against which all others are compared to. We tend to focus only on capacity, usually on the first or second test cycle. However, long-term coulomb efficiency, voltage drop, and other measures are just as important. Durability is where the Panasonics stand out, hence their higher cost. The main cost components of a lithium-ion batteries are the cost of the materials for making the anode, cathode and separator. Everyone is trying to substitute lower-cost materials in order to make a lower cost battery for less critical applications.
Thanks for the reply, but why the quote?:thinking:

snakyjake

Enlightened
What's the UI/switch for selecting output level?
I won't buy another light that requires me to cycle through a bunch of unwanted outputs, like an alarm clock that can only be set in one direction. I want manufacturers to strive for an intuitive interface; up/down modes.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If like other S series,
Press once for memory of last used mode,
whatever it be outside of strobe. (Moon is exclusive from off only, unless it was set an left in memory)
If shut off in moon, it starts on moon on single press.

From off, Double press goes straight to high.

From off, Long press goes to moon mode.

How that makes sense?

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
If like other S series,
Press once for memory of last used mode,
whatever it be outside of strobe. (Moon is exclusive from off only, unless it was set an left in memory)
If shut off in moon, it starts on moon on single press.

From off, Double press goes straight to high.

From off, Long press goes to moon mode.

How that makes sense?

From off, double press goes straght to "Turbo" (or whatever mode the light is on). ;)

Here is my S30R Baton II review. Hope you enjoy it. :)

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Idk, is it turbo or just high mode?
Thanks though.
From off, Double press goes straight to high/turbo.

There are Turbo, High, Med., Low, Moonlight mode and Strobe.
From off, you can directly go to High by a click, in case you turn the light off on High.

Holding down the switch will proceed Low -> Med. -> High, in repeating sequence, when the light is on. You can select High by releasing the switch.

bjt3833

Newly Enlightened
I just got my replacement s30r 2 in today and I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed with some things I didn't know they'd changed previously.

A few things: They did did away with the low voltage indicator, yet again, under the button and it's not just a soft rubber button.

The battery is inserted with the positive end towards the tailcap like in the picture. Also the positive terminal is, at best, flush if it isn't slightly countersunk so flat top batteries definitely won't work. I've tried some of my eageltac batteries with the notoriously short positive terminal and they won't activate the light at all.

The magnet in the new one is definitely a bit stronger than my s30R, it has no problem standing out horizontally where as my original one pretty much won't stick horizontally at all.

You most definitely cannot use old bases with the new light or old lights with the new base, which really is disappointing.

There are a few machining differences between the two. There is a lip, just above the new shorter tailcap, on the body of the new version and the hexagonal part that the switch is in near the head is slightly machined with different proportions of the smaller flats. And to confirm, the tailcap a are not interchangeable between them.

So in my opinion, if you want to use anything but the proprietary 18650 that comes in the light, the first gen is a better light. I emailed Olight today when I got my light and all my observations were confirmed. This one seemed opposite of my experiences tho. Referring to the switch and low voltage indicator: Yes, it was not a reliable feature and we decided to use a nicer material on the button and not include it.

I personally liked the flat switch with the light inside. The new switch has a slight protrusion again but it is nowhere near as bad as the old white switches the batons had.

sorry about the font change at the end. iPhone copy and paste changed it and I couldn't be bothered to try to figure out the default font and size.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are Turbo, High, Med., Low, Moonlight mode and Strobe.
From off, you can directly go to High by a click, in case you turn the light off on High.

Holding down the switch will proceed Low -> Med. -> High, in repeating sequence, when the light is on. You can select High by releasing the switch.
I'm going to be clear on this one further.

Turbo is not, in normal mode rotation.

It has to be double clicked to access it whether light is on or off.

Double clicking again when using turbo will take you back to what ever level you had used prior to it.
Single click from turbo is off.

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
What about S30R Javelot ??

From my view it's a nice combination, XP-L HI CW with 17500 cd in an EDC light...

I find to my dealer on stock 24h delivery at 77,00 USD (chager and original Olight 18650 - 2300 mAh in package),..I'm addicted...I must have it !

:))

DonOlt

Newly Enlightened
The new S30R Javelot seems very nice! Astonishing 264m throw from one 18650. However it again uses a customized / proprietary battery and the dock won't charge any other 18650
:shrug:
5939905553.jpg

NorthernStar

Enlightened
The new S30R Javelot seems very nice! Astonishing 264m throw from one 18650. However it again uses a customized / proprietary battery and the dock won't charge any other 18650
:shrug:
5939905553.jpg

Great find!:)

I did not knew that this light existed! It does not appear on Olights website from what i can see.

I have the previous S30RII and it has a Peak Beam Intensity of 9600 Candela and a beam distance of 196 meters. This S30R Javelot has a Peak Beam Intensity of 17500 Candela and a beam distance of 264 meters according to above mentioned datas. This is a pretty good upgrade!Can anyone confirm if the above mentioned specs are correct?

However, i do agree that its not good that this light has a proprietary battery and can not charge any other 18650 battery internal while using the charging dock. I wonder why Olight chose to design the light this way? :thinking:

DonOlt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Can´t find anything on official Olight websites either... Some dealers seem to sell them though and they show the same specs...
The proprietary custom battery seems to have the +and - on the same side. Maybe a to cut on length? Maybe like apple and sony marketing so people can only use their stuf? Is it possible to mod such a light so normal 18650s could be charged? In that case I'd be interested!

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Thanks! Can´t find anything on official Olight websites either... Some dealers seem to sell them though and they show the same specs...
The proprietary custom battery seems to have the +and - on the same side. Maybe a to cut on length? Maybe like apple and sony marketing so people can only use their stuf? Is it possible to mod such a light so normal 18650s could be charged? In that case I'd be interested!

I don´t know if the light could be modified or not to make it possible to use other 18650 lights for internal charging while using the charging dock. One has to remember that the other of Olights own labeled 18650 batteries can not bee used either for internal charging inside of the S30RII. It is only the proprietary custom battery that works.

Please look at my pics. The proprietary custom battery does not have a + and a - on the same side.

Olight%20S30RII%20POLE%20002_zps9bnqr7mb.jpg

This is the + sides. To the left a standard Olight 18650 battery. To the right the proprietary custom battery
If you look closely, there is a small circle surrounding the +pole of the proprietary custom battery, which the standard 18650 battery does not have. Otherwise they are identical.

Olight%20S30RII%20POLE%20011_zpsisps8ujz.jpg

This is the - sides. To the left a standard Olight 18650 battery. To the right the proprietary custom battery.

Olight%20S30RII%20POLE%20012_zps5f3fxuns.jpg

Side by side comparisons.At top a standard Olight 18650 battery. At bottom the proprietary custom battery.The lengths seems to be exactly identically.