*NEW* Surefire Titan-A (1*AAA, 15/125 lumen)

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titan = titanium variable CR2

Titan T1A = aluminum variable CR123A

Titan-A = aluminum two-level AAA, possibly in two different output versions

Really ? ... :sigh:

I asked specifically twice on the 300 lumen version that it wasn't CR123...... They said AAA. We'll see @ shot show. :shrug:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Straight from SureFire ( OFFICIAL SPECS PENDING SHOT SHOW ):

2 versions

1) AAA 125Lumens - 30 Minutes 15 Lumens - 45Hrs

2) AAA 300 Lumens - ? Minutes 15 Lumesn - 2 Hrs

Other info:

Final specs pending shot show.

2 Versions confirmed.

Currently mentioned power sources Alkaline & NiHM, no word yet on Lithium Primaries.

Wait, why would the 15-lumen mode have different runtimes if they are both 1xAAA powered?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE 2:

2 models and names confirmed:

1) Titan A 125LM

2) Titan + 300LM

Confirmed: The 2 hr runtime on low - 15 LM is power penalty because of the high on the Titan +.

Thats all Im at liberty to say for now. I would reframe form contacting SF as no other info will be disclosed at this time.

STOKED!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) AAA 125Lumens - 30 Minutes 15 Lumens - 45Hrs

Assume that's a typo ^^ - 675 lumen-hrs is 18650 territory ;). Agree with the earlier post ~60 lumen~hrs is about right for AAA Eneloop.

Not sure what they're thinking with a 15 lm low mode on a tiny AAA though - they have plenty of larger dual output lights with 5 lm lows. However, it is nice to see Surefire finally come out with something in a common single-cell EDC though. :)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much higher on the top end, with power penalty on the low end 300LM vs 125LM.

Heres a good example of that, basically a 500 LM head with 15 Lumen squeezed in:

http://www.surefire.com/y300u-a.html

Either way Im getting a few of the 125. Perfect backups.

I understand that there would be an efficiency penalty, but 2hrs vs 45hrs is a pretty huge difference!

2hrs at 15 lumens in a 1xAAA sounds about right (45hrs at 15 lumens on 1xAAA sounds a bit unbelievable) when compared to the runtimes of other 1xAAA lights:

Fenix E05:
15hrs at 8 lumens
4.25hrs at 25 lumens
0.75hrs at 85 lumens

Fenix LD02:
15hrs at 8 lumens
4.25hrs at 25 lumens
0.5hr at 100 lumens

Foursevens Preon P1:
6hrs at 10 lumens
0.8hrs at 84 lumens

SureFire's 125/30m and 15/2hrs seems about right for a 1xAAA. On your most recent confirmation from SF, are they still stating 45hrs for low mode of the 125 lumen model?

scout24

Flashaholic
Quick, let's panic and bad mouth the product and company before anyone here has seen, held, or reviewed one in person. Really? SF has historically under rated their outputs, and their runtimes are generally down to a certain point, when the light is still producing lumens. And, it's an AAA light, territory that's new to them. Even if it makes SHOT, it may change before it's released, and or may never go further than SHOT. LIGHTEN UP PLEASE... :) Y'all kill me...

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assume that's a typo ^^ - 675 lumen-hrs is 18650 territory ;). Agree with the earlier post ~60 lumen~hrs is about right for AAA Eneloop.

Not sure what they're thinking with a 15 lm low mode on a tiny AAA though - they have plenty of larger dual output lights with 5 lm lows. However, it is nice to see Surefire finally come out with something in a common single-cell EDC though. :)

I'm also thinking the "45 hrs" may be a typo as suggested; 4.5 hours would seem reasonable.

I concur. Im wondering if it might be a typo in the other direction - 5 Lumens - 45Hrs.

Either way I expect the specs to change by Shot.

scout24 -

Even if it makes SHOT, it may change before it's released, and or may never go further than SHOT. LIGHTEN UP PLEASE...
:) Y'all kill me...

I know right? We got a poo-poo wagon all over this light while 2 facts remain IF it comes out: 1) They will sell like iPhones 2) It's Awesome.

Everyone is entitled to their wrong opinion thought. :p

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is definitely a wait and see light.

I hope that if the light lives up to Surefire's reputation, it's still reasonably priced.

I think whoever names their lights needs to check their meds....

scout24

Flashaholic
Jabe-I agree on the naming. Too much heritage there. Way back after I first discovered the original Titan, and the T1A, I said here that I would buy dozens if they made an infinitely variable AAA light. THAT would be worthy of carrying the name.

IsaacL

Enlightened
At that price they should sell dozens upon dozens...;)

Tens of thousands I should hope ;)

FWIW, the type of driver used to reach 300 lumens can have a significant effect on the efficiency of a low setting, thus the runtime difference. There is a very real lack of transparency in the flashlight industry, compared to the smartphone industry for example, so we don't really know much about the electronic components (i.e. drivers and IC's). This makes it difficult to ascertain what components are used and how they differ product to product and compare across companies.

In theory, the Cree XP-G2 (S4 bin) needs about 1.9W to reach 300 LED lumens (not OTF lumens). Assuming the use of a Eneloop Pro AAA 900mAh 4th gen, nominal voltage is fixed at 1.2V. This means that ~1.5A of current is demanded of the battery, which is 1.7C (rough interpolation of the latest AAA Eneloop Pro gives 895mAh at 1.5A). I say all this to say that a ~2W power requirement to run a light at 300 lumens means that max output can only be sustained for <36 minutes under ideal conditions even with 100% efficiency.

Ultimately, it all comes down to math. If the numbers don't add up, then it's not possible. Give Surefire's engineers some slack, at least until the product is released, they do this for a living. :D

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't take the place of my T1A, but I'm in!

Pops

Last edited: