Newbie here - need a flashlight

DVN

Newly Enlightened
So I've been lurking around these parts for the last 4 months or so and have finally decided to join up. This is quite the forum i must say. Sooooo much material. :twothumbs

Anyways, i've gotta admit that i came onto here innocently looking for a decent flashlight, as the only flashlights i have are an incandescent Maglite and a dollar store 9 led AAA flashlight. Before you rail on me, i'll just say i'm a student with no funds to buy some of these more expensive lights but i was looking for at least somewhat of an upgrade.

I've read so many threads on here that my head is spinning and i have no idea what to get. I was thinking of either a AAA or AA light which i would use for camping and fishing. Do people on here think that it's better to go with a floody light or a thrower for camping? I've seen some one the dealextreme lights but am not convinced by the quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great forum :)

DVN

Newly Enlightened
So after checking out some flashlight reviews on here, i was wondering if the general consensus is that the romisen is the best budget light out there. As i'm a little tight on funds, being a student, i wanted to get a fairly decent light for a little less. I don't want to throw away my money on junk however.

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Although I do not own a Romisen, but I have noticed that it is very frequently mentioned in threads such as your's as one of the higher quality "budget" lights.

If you didn't notice it, check out the sticky first thread in this forum for lots of great suggestions of a quality budget light:

BessieBenny's Budget LED (DX/KD etc) Flashlights Review Roundup

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/222462

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could also try the sales sections,perhaps a member might have a well looked after flashlight that would fit into your budget.

I myself would be more than happy to part with some funds for a well loved light.

vali

Enlightened
For me Romisen and Akoray are the 2 best budget brands.

For romisen lights, try shiningbeam. For akoray, unfortunately, you will need to buy it from shops like DX. If you want a K-106 be carefull. It seems the 5 mode has the same driver as the recent Ultrafire C3 and is "fragile". Get the 3 mode programmable instead.

Edit: The one gunner said.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go for a romisen from shiningbeam, I would consider either the rc-29 or the RC-n3 2 mode.

The 2 mode gives you the versatility of brightness and good runtime and brightness overall, while the rc-29 gives you the option of flood or throw, but will be less bright overall and need to have the batteries replace more often.

I think the Fenix E20 for 35 bucks is worth considering as well.

You might also want to consider the duracell daylite 2c or 2d, the lowes task force, or the rayovac sportsman extreme. All are under 30 bucks and pretty decent lights good for teh outdoors.

Lastly, you might want to start looking into lanterns and headlamps, as those are definitely useful when hunting or fishing.
Coleman makes these very nice collapsible lanterns but they havent updated them in a while. Rayovac makes a sportsman extreme lantern that is supposed to be very good and again like 30 bucks.

Not really sure as far as a cheap headlamp.

Last edited:

DVN

Newly Enlightened
The Akoray K106 could be a good starting light. It has 3 programmable modes, good build, and a good size.

:welcome:

Ah, Akoray seems to have flown under my radar. Now that you mention it, I think I've read fairly good reviews for those. Might consider those as well. Thanks a bunch for the info. :twothumbs

DVN

Newly Enlightened
If you go for a romisen from shiningbeam, I would consider either the rc-29 or the RC-n3 2 mode.

The 2 mode gives you the versatility of brightness and good runtime and brightness overall, while the rc-29 gives you the option of flood or throw, but will be less bright overall and need to have the batteries replace more often.

I think the Fenix E20 for 35 bucks is worth considering as well.

You might also want to consider the duracell daylite 2c or 2d, the lowes task force, or the rayovac sportsman extreme. All are under 30 bucks and pretty decent lights good for teh outdoors.

Lastly, you might want to start looking into lanterns and headlamps, as those are definitely useful when hunting or fishing.
Coleman makes these very nice collapsible lanterns but they havent updated them in a while. Rayovac makes a sportsman extreme lantern that is supposed to be very good and again like 30 bucks.

Not really sure as far as a cheap headlamp.

Great response, thanks a bunch. Yeah that Romisen RC-29 for around 16 bucks was something i was seriously considering. It looks well made and i like that it can either throw or flood. As for the headlamps, I have a cheap 3X5mm led headlamp that runs on AAA and it has been adequate for my uses, but then again i have never really tested it much since i knew it was cheap and wouldnt do so well in inclement weather or if i banged it on something.

I am not so sure with lanterns because i love my coleman propane lantern. That thing puts out so much light and it's a warm color that really lights up the inside of a cabin on dark winter afternoons. If i were hiking long distances i might consider battery powered lanters, but am i correct in saying that they arent going to be nearly as bright?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I've been sitting here thinking about what was my best DX purchase.

I never got an AA with multi modes. My best AA light is a frankenstien MTE that got the guts taken out and the guts from a SSC P4 AA light put in.

I got two Ultrafire 502B (P60 hosts) and they were and are decent lights in 123/18650 size.

My Ultrafire 3 mode MTE light might be best overall. BRIGHT if you give it a good 18650.

I haven't gotten anything from DX (or much of anywhere else) for the better part of a year. Because when my uncle/boss WAS paying me it wasn't all that great. But when he stopped it got ugly!

If you can pony up the $ I would SERIOUSLY consider Fenix or Quark light(s) at 4 sevens!!!

Pummy

Newly Enlightened
As someone who went through the same budget line, I honestly think it would be better to save up and get a decent one, or go for the recommended DX models from this forum.

The K-106, Romisen or 4Sevens line seem like the budget range you would be happy with.

You must know that in time your wallet and other half will get to hate this place, despite your growing fondness due to the sheer amount of money that you WILL end up spending in it's pursuit.

:welcome:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
right now you would not be as happy with an LED lantern as you are with your coleman, i promise...but someday soon....

/me dreams of 4 or more sst-90s putting out 2k lumens each in lantern form

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a rc-29, so I will let you know how it is once I get it.

Latest posts