NiteCore Defender Infinity - First Impressions thread

sabre7

Enlightened
CAUTION STRONG LIGHT! Strike bezel on AA? ROFLMAO!!! Markings and box looks like its marketed to 7 year olds who want to play army. Does it come with a GI Joe doll too?

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate you all. Well not really, I'm just grumpy that mine didn't leave Hong Kong till the 19th. :sigh: And no tracking.
I'm consistently cheap, I guess I'm used to the waiting by now. If the shipping is free by canoe from Indonesia I'll take it over a $2 ride in an airplane. :crackup:
Thanks for all of the feedback about the light so far. Keeps me going.

Mine also said shipped the 19th too.I got on dec 24! I think it comes down to your post office.postman.

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was shipped on the 19th and I did not receive mine yet (Illinois). I was really hoping for it to arrive yesterday. I am hopeful it arrives tomorrow seeing many have received theirs. In the meantime it is nice to read about all the cool lights some are getting for Xmas.

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
I think the strike bezel is more for looks than function-- with my luck, I'll sandwich that fat on the side of my hand between the teeth and whatever I'm hitting! I would have liked it a little flatter so I can press it against my pts arms when looking for veins on the tough sticks, but it does look cool whether you're 7 or 27! Everyone at work loves the light, then they go "WHAT?!" when I tell them I paid $50 on a preorder! Nevermind telling them the MSRP, they just won't get it...

By the way, these are the same type of people who would drop $300+ on the latest phone or PDA, and you know what good that'll be in a power outage with the cell towers knocked down...

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine this afternoon! I am extremely happy and mine is pefect. I always am concerned about what kind of tint to expect since it is still a lottery. My tint is absoutely gorgeous! Pure white. The fit and finish is great as well. I know that there are slight variences in HA color but mine is about perfect as well.

I have been doing some comparisons to other small lights I have and adjusting brightness by eye to match and then taking current measurments to get an idea of how efficient the light is. I can tell you that the DI is a pretty efficient light. I consider the Fenix P3D to be an efficient light and the DI is matching output/current.

I can set the brightness of the DI to the medium output on the P3D and they require approximately the same current. This is about 150 mA and puts out a nice amount of light (P3D using a 17670 cell and the DI using a AW 14500 cell both fully charged to just over 4 volts). I can probably expect about 4-5 hours of bright output with the DI at this "nice" output level which is great. I am very happy with this light!!!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Cree P4 in my Dereelight (I have the CL1H 2.0). I haven't compared it to my Q2 pill yet. I don't have the Q4 or Q5 pills as the P4 is plenty bright. Perhaps when an R2 or R3 comes out, I'll upgrade. I'm sure the DI won't hold up against a Q5 CL1H 3.0.

My Nitecore won't touch any of my Dereelights with a Q2 or better pill. I don't have any of the P4 pills, but I wouldn't expect the Nitecore to compare in output with something like a CL1H. :)

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my 3 DI's (one is a gift) and a Spear today, also left Shanghai on the 19th. Very nice, bright for a AA, but drawing 1.7 amps from a NiMH, it should be! I have some of the slight HA variations mentioned, but as a multiple HDS owner, I would call them a near-perfect match. There is a slight bit of flicker when moving the switches through the first half of the momentary travel, but only on high, for whatever reason. I am sure if I can disassemble them, a Deoxit/Progold treatment would fix that.

Anyone having trouble changing modes MUST clean and lube the head end threads and o-ring. Mine were constantly glitching into strobe mode until I did, and now they work just as they should. Another thing I had trouble with was overshooting the brightness I wanted, as it goes pretty fast when you are trying to get something just a bit brighter than max low. I found I could nail it much easier by turning it off by twisting the tailcap rather than cycling the clickie. YMMV.

Well, it's pretty dark here now, I need to go outside to really appreciate this Spear. I'll find my way out back by a DI :).

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
good: beautiful presentation and extras, great knurling and anodizing, white tint, forward clicky, bright for a nimh and alkaline.

bad: emitter slightly off center resulting less than stellar beam, too much "strong light" markings and such, front bezel turning action too stiff after clean and lube.

all around a very nice light. might be worth the 80 asking price, great deal at the 40 i got it for.

frank777

Enlightened
Mine is flickering occasionally on HIGH. It goes off completely if tightened too snugly..... too bad. Otherwise, it would be a great light.

Dark Matter

Newly Enlightened
I received my 2 Nitecore DI on Dec 24. I was'nt expecting it until next week since the tracking info from Hong Kong said that it left China on Dec 21.

One NDI came with a black lanyard and the other with an olive color lanyard. Lanyards are very fancy. The knurling is perfect with no color mismatch on both. The threads were as clean as a wistle but very dry. I lubed the threads and o-rings and fired both up. Very nice white tint. Very bright on high with a nice low low. The UI is intuitive and works flawlessly. Forward clickie has a good feel to it. Momenary on works beautifully. I would highly recommend the lights

EDGETAC

Newly Enlightened
Mine is flickering occasionally on HIGH. It goes off completely if tightened too snugly..... too bad. Otherwise, it would be a great light.

Hi frank777,

As to the problem you mention, refer to your PM please!

:) Happy Holidays to all here! :)

Best Regards,
Y.L.Wong

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I'm extremely pleased with this light. Only complain is the markings but thats minor.
Today I was playing around with it at work when a coworker asked me "is that Surefire?". I realized that he was looking at my light and I told him "no, its better then a Surefire"......:sssh:

He then commented on how expensive Surefires are. I turned my light on and he had a look of amazement on his face. He then pulled out his minimag and started complaining about it.
Not bad for a light that I paid $50 for. I don't really think that it is better then a SF but compared to their lower end lights it is a much better value.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Mine also arrived today, i wasn't expecting it until next week so I was pretty excited to see it. :thumbsup:Mine looks like it was opened by customs, but no big deal there.

Great feel to the light, nice size, weight and feel. lanyard is also a nice touch, although i like mine a tied a little tighter so i modified mine. :p

I agree with the other posters on here that it needs some lube on the threads, mine squeaks when undoing them. Only other bad thing is that my 14500 (Wolf Eyes) doesn't operate the light, fits inside but i assume the tail cap doesnt contact the body :mecry: So here comes another order for a AW cell.

djblank87

Enlightened
I'm extremely pleased with this light. Only complain is the markings but thats minor.
Today I was playing around with it at work when a coworker asked me "is that Surefire?". I realized that he was looking at my light and I told him "no, its better then a Surefire"......:sssh:

He then commented on how expensive Surefires are. I turned my light on and he had a look of amazement on his face. He then pulled out his minimag and started complaining about it.
Not bad for a light that I paid $50 for. I don't really think that it is better then a SF but compared to their lower end lights it is a much better value.

This thread is going good and has useful information that others who do not have the light can read and make a decision on whether they want to buy one or not.

For once lets not :dedhorse: about who is better than who and why. :ohgeez:

Instead focus on the positives and anything negative about the light so as to help people that in time might want one. LJ I know you stated you do not think one is better than the other but to bring it up makes everyone get on edge and brings nothing to the table.

Last edited:

Rzr800

Enlightened
My Nitecore won't touch any of my Dereelights with a Q2 or better pill. I don't have any of the P4 pills, but I wouldn't expect the Nitecore to compare in output with something like a CL1H. :)

...and by gosh that goes for you too, Wade! ;) (sorry, couldn't resist :grouphug: ).

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received mine and my first impressions are favourable. The anodizing is even with the head being a fraction lighter than the body but not very noticeable. The knurling is good and it has a nice feel in the hand. I like the overall aesthetics except for the writing. It doesn't bother me but I think it unnecessary. The two flat areas with the "X"'s do not work to prevent rolling unless you lay the light down on the flat spots. I pocket carry my lights so no clip does not bother me.

So far it is working properly and with a little bit of lube the twisting of the head and tail are smooth with the head being a little harder to twist than the tail. No problems with programming the user defined mode or switching the strobe on and off.

The beam quality is OK. There is a slight dark area/ring around the corona but not noticeable unless whitewall hunting. Tint is slightly warm (which I happen to like) with a little bit of a warmer/yellowy area surrounding the darker ring. Doesn't bother me though and again not noticeable when using it.

The areas I would like to see improved are the beam quality and the engraving. I'm not overly picky but there are comparable lights out there with better beams. In terms of the engraving, I am a minimalist. I would like to see nothing on it but barring that maybe just the manufacturer name and model. Overall I like the light so far and hopefully time will prove it's durability and reliabilty.

Last edited: