NO MORE SPAM -- it's closer than I had hoped

Mutie

Enlightened
Re: NO MORE SPAM -- it\'s closer than I had hoped

Wow James that really sucks. I hate spam more than anything else.

Death to spammers!

Mutech

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Geeze Tom, I was getting a ratio of about 300 spams to 1 or 2 legit emails.

Mailwasher helped a lot, but what really helped was:

1: Changed all of my old email addresses.

2: "Hid" my email addreses on various forums where I am registered.

That worked for about two weeks, but then I started getting 2-3 spams a day, so took this third step:

3: Replaced all of my textual and HTML email links on all my websites with an unlinked graphic with my address in it.

That seems to have worked pretty well. It may be inconvenient for visitors to my websites to have to type in my email addresses instead of clicking a link, but at least it defeats the email harvesting "bots".

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Silviron said:
3: Replaced all of my textual and HTML email links on all my websites with an unlinked graphic with my address in it.

That seems to have worked pretty well. It may be inconvenient for visitors to my websites to have to type in my email addresses instead of clicking a link, but at least it defeats the email harvesting "bots".

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely step 3. I use to have my email address in my HTML code on my website and I'm sure the harvesters picked it up. I got rid of it and changed my email address and instead put in a java script that 'builds' my email address from 2 halves. People can still 'click' to email me - but my email address is basically hidden.

I've been spam free for the last yr - touch wood...

george.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that I was only getting about two pieces of spam a day instead of the usual 150 pieces or so. What happened was that my ISP has installed a spam filter in his system. It puts all of the filtered mail in a quarintened(sp) file that I can review before I delete the spam. I like this option as spam filters sometimes filter out legitemate(sp) mail. It is really strange to check my e-mail and now find nothing there!

Tomas

Banned

Decent, non-sensationalized article on recent US and EU laws on SPAM, and where we may be going. Good back info.

InfoWorld.com article.

T_sig6.gif