Noob question, Fenix L2D Rebel vs Maglite 2d

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm new to the LED light scene but have become very excited from what I've learned here in the past few days of surfing the forums. I ordered the above mentioned Fenix based on what I think I need for my primary hunting light. I've carried a 2d Maglite for years and decided it was time to upgrade to something smaller/lighter with better specs. Found this site when I started to research and its been a fantastic resource.

I really only use the light for getting to/from stands and some tracking. The Mag is sufficient for getting in and out but not great for tracking. I usually fire up the Coleman for that but I've occasionally forgotten to bring it along and have had to rely on the Maglite.

Here's my question: what are the specs on the Maglite 2D and how do they compare to the L2D Rebel? I've got the numbers for the Fenix but I can't find much for the standard Mag. I'm really curious to see how much better it will really be. I ordered the Fenix from the Fenix store last week but just found out its been back ordered (drat!). I was hoping to have both lights in my hand so that I could do a comparison myself but since I must wait, maybe someone here could excite me with some details. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas day here.......

make sure you use the cpf8 for 8% off code. i think that's the code:thinking:

i started with the l2d myself too. it's a great all around light(power,runtime,) and probably all most people would ever need. later the l0d became my favorite because of it's brightness to size ratio and being the most used because it's easy to edc. then i came around full circle back to my mag after modification which offers an even flood and good throw(outthrows even the tiablos).

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the slow email response. The number of emails I've been getting lately has been overwhelming. Hopefully I should have some stock ready for sale by next week.

Gene

Sweet! I'm going to check back on monday.

What shipping method do you use? I hope it's USPS because it's the only way I can buy from the states, any other shipping company screw us with insane amount of fees.

Gene43

Enlightened
I'm expecting a new batch of machined heatsinks sometime this week, but it will probably be atleast the middle of the week before any are ready.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's impossible to determine from the question if he means

a) The old incan Maglite 2D
b) The new LED 3W Maglite 2D

Both are 2D...

Now, I think Fenix is brighter than either. Except that the 3W MagLite might run longer with larger D batteries vs 2AA.

I would mod that 2D you have if it's incan.

>Fenix L2D Rebel vs Maglite 2d

tozwp

Newly Enlightened
It's impossible to determine from the question if he means

a) The old incan Maglite 2D
b) The new LED 3W Maglite 2D

Both are 2D...

Now, I think Fenix is brighter than either. Except that the 3W MagLite might run longer with larger D batteries vs 2AA.

I would mod that 2D you have if it's incan.

>Fenix L2D Rebel vs Maglite 2d

Its an incan. I guess I wasn't aware that Maglite had a 2d LED until fairly recently. I'm going to look into modding the Maglite eventually. Looks like its a fairly common platform to play around with. Lots of good info here - thanks for all the help!

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
you could always put in a Terra Lux TLE-6EX (battery junction is a good source) and then use a pair of 3aa-1d plastic holders. 6d power in a 2d frame that you already have. It would run on alkalines if need be and nimh's for longer runtime and cheaper operation. Costs about $20 more than an ROP low and is not nearly as bright but has much longer runtime.

Also, yes the fenix high end cr123 lights are, strictly speaking, BRIGHTER than the mag D leds. but not by that much and the fenix doesn't throw very far. Great light, I keep a p2d as my edc, but out past 30' or 40', the reflector of the mags really starts to shine (pun intended). Depends on your needs really.

hope that helps
-Pete

Enlightened
I'm curious, how does the power consumption compare between, say, and L2D and a standard 2D flashlight (not necessarily a Mag, just the little $5-10 Wal-Mart special you might expect a non-flashaholic to be using)?