NovaTac EDC T and E Models CRACKED! Back Door/Easter egg found!

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool thanks I was wondering why double clicking from the minimum setting (3 clicks) sometimes went to primary and sometimes went to secondary. Still not 100% sure but at least I can get to primary without having to turn off light.

I can also see how going from ramping up to be easier to get the level 1 setting. I still don't see how you are able to get it to ramp down. When you are in the brightness (click click press) setting, aren't you continually holding (pressing) the button until you find where you want the light set to that particular setting and then turning it off to save it?

EDIT: I just figured it out. If you're in brightness mode it first ramps up but then if you do another click click press it will ramp down. I don't remember it stating this in the manual but this is how to ramp down. Much better than having to cycle through all the flashing modes if you goof the first time having to wait until the ramping sequence cycles around again.

Thanks Lost Hawaiian I think conversing with you has helped me figure most of this stuff out! It helped me from getting frustrated, thanks again!

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my new Novatac Classic AA today and set it up like all my others .08 (primary 1 click), .33 (secondary 2 click), .94 (minimum 3 click), 2.7 (maximum click press). Everything is fine there but something strange regarding the momentary maximum setting as it seems like it's accessing the primary setting as it is .08 lumens, and on my other lights it will do the maximum setting of 2.7 lumens only with momentary.

Does the light redefine which level is primary/secondary/minimum/maximum depending on which mode you are in WHEN you enable or disable the forced setting or not?

Also what exactly is the difference between simple momentary and tactical momentary? The description doesn't sound all that different.

EDIT: I guess I figured out the difference between momentary modes. Simple momentary is when the light is on and then it DOES act as I expected with the hold it goes to maximum. When the light is off and holding the button, momentary is on at primary setting. I am guessing this is tactical momentary? Is there a way to program which mode tactical momentary comes on in?

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
Anybody have a copy of the Novatac EDC-P user manual? I did the 250 clicks and set option 9 to "on", but the 10 clicks from off to get the options menu does not work. :anyone:

Thanks,
Kevin

kevinm

Enlightened
Yep; got it. Thanks! I'd still like the manual; it's not the same as the EDC Ultimate.

Kevin

GAReed

Newly Enlightened
Kevin, check out bluecrow76's most excellent flowchart here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217963
I did find a pdf copy of the Flashlight User Guide, EDC- 85P or 120P "Novatac-EDC-P-UserGuide.pdf" Copyright 2007 by NovaTac, Inc. July 2007. That was after googling/following hundreds of links (broken) back to NovaTac.com... almost like somebody was making it esp difficult :shakehead to find one on the worlie.wide.webbie... I hesitate to post the link... :eek: I haven't read ALL the forum rules :eek: but I seem to recall there was something about posting links... and I don't have a place to "put" the pdf... I could maybe email you a copy...

Anybody have a copy of the Novatac EDC-P user manual? I did the 250 clicks and set option 9 to "on", but the 10 clicks from off to get the options menu does not work. :anyone:

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:

Petersen

Newly Enlightened
Kevinm, did you get that manual?
- otherwise I also have all the NT manuals stored on my PC....

Just had to use it myself, as I accidently made a fac. reset of my 120T..silly me

had to try several times before I made the 250 clicks work - usually get to around 180-200 clicks, and my finger cramps...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, just posted a mini-review of the Novatac Classic here, directly comparing it to my 2008-edition 120P.

The 250-click trick worked fine for me on the Classic (although automatic turn-off also got toggled on initially somehow). But note the input voltage range of the Classic is lower than the Storm or older 120-series.

Thanks again to LLCoolBeams and all the other contributors to this thread. :wave:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thread from the dead.

I just scored a new Gold Novatac Storm. and sure enough, after chewing my arm off after 4 failed 250 sessions (failed because
I thought about something other than press-press-press-press and introduced a small pause) all this programming mumbo-jumbo
does work and is easy to figure out as long as you do not disable option 4 right away (force 1 click to be primary). it does make playing with
the modes and learning all 9 options difficult if 4 is disabled. disable option 4 at the end when your light is setup as you want it.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back to one of my favorite threads on CPF... I had cracked my 85T awhile back, but it reset back to factory specs and I left it that way for awhile. I now keep this light in the top outside compartment of my EDC bag, a Maxpedition Sitka. After opening it to find the Novatac on a few times (grrr...) I just did the 250-click again and enabled auto-button-lock. It's not a big deal to triple-click and it keeps the light from turning on by itself.

To assist in doing the hack, I actually wrote out and numbered 25 squares on a piece of paper, hitting the button 10 times as I looked from square to square. It actually made the process pretty simple and easier to keep track of counting the clicks.

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh man I did 5 failed 250-runs once and was about to hit myself with a brick. I would stutter-click
around 110-140 about every time. grrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRR

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tell ya, write out 25 blocks on a piece of paper numbered 1 to 25. Look at #1, click ten times, look at #2, click ten times, etc. After almost permanently injuring my hand a few times going nuts, this helped me relax and keep track of which one I was on.

silver_bacon

Newly Enlightened
This thread brings back some memories. 250 was a lot of presses. I guess they must have figured no one would bother pressing it that many times.

What finally did Novatac in? Was it the Emissive Energy lawsuit?

speedsix

Enlightened
Thanks, now I have carpel tunnel and need surgery. Thinking about suing! Also, my flashlight has a virus. It keeps flashing ads for boner pills in Moris code!

Lithium466

Enlightened
Thread digging but What a coincidence, yesterday I bought a Wichita on ebay, can't wait to receive it!
I always loved the wichita, with 17650 tube from HDS...feel like the poor man's HDS lol

Quick question, is your classic able to maintain the highest level for a long time with Eneloop?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great question. It's running on Eneloops now, but I haven't run it down enough to get a good feel for how long it lasts. I threw out the batts that came with it and first used a pair of Duracells and it seemed to go through those pretty quickly before it started blinking on high. Considering making the first mode at turn-on a lower level and the press-hold button (originally strobe) the highest output.

There's a great review by our own "selfbuilt" here with lots of good info:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...123A)-Mini-review-comparisons-to-Novatac-120P

Last edited: