NovaTac EDC T and E Models CRACKED! Back Door/Easter egg found!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
NNNNOOOOO!!! My trusty 85T that I 250-clicked to customizable goodness back when I first got it just got jacked. I was messing with it, changing a level (I had programmed the light to replace strobe with plain old High output) and inadvertantly entered the programming menu with 4 clicks instead of 3, then I accidentally set it on full-on tactical momentary, which (I remember from my trials messing with this light) requires factory reset to get out of, which puts me back in regulat 85T default mode. *sigh*

I really don't feel like doing the 250 clicks again. Maybe my OCD will let me sleep instead of re-doing it all night. :)

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rec'd my 85T last Fri. Been trying all weekend to get into the backdoor hack. I got there once and let the light go through the options until it dimmed and started ramping. I press and hold until light goes off, and then when I turn it back on it flashes 3 times quickly and turns itself off. Only way of having it work is unscrewing the light for a second or two and then it comes on in primary mode. Once light is turned off for a while it will repeat the same problem. Even still when I try to enter programming mode I just get the emergency strobe without progressing to the next options.

EDIT: Just to add, is it easier with the Tactical tailswitch or the Flat tailswitch to do the 250 clicks? I've only been able to get there once and I have tried at least 50 times over the weekend. I will usually fail after about 50-100 clicks with me usually pausing too long unintentionally. Even if I am clicking fast my thumb will shut down for a split second and then I get the strobe or dim.... RATS!!!!!!! I tried the bezel down and holding with one hand and clicking with the other. If it is worth it for the flat tailswitch to hack this thing I may buy one.

Last edited:

Lost Hawaiian

Newly Enlightened
...and then when I turn it back on it flashes 3 times quickly and turns itself off....

It sounds like you might have set the button lock-out feature by accident. When the light is off, try clicking 3 times rapidly. If this feature is set, that will unlock it and the light should come on in primary mode. I just tested on my locked 120P and it acts just like you said (if I unscrew it for a second it comes on in primary, bypassing the button lock).

This is one of my favorite features of these lights, to keep it from turning on by accident.

Note: If you have this feature turned on, it will automatically engage after the light has been off for 5 minutes and will require the 3 rapid clicks to unlock. You can also manually lock the button with 3 rapid clicks right after you turn it off (if you don't want to wait the 5 min. for it to auto-lock).

As far as the 250 clicks, I cracked my 120M and SPL-120 fairly quickly using the method described previously of setting it bezel down on a tabletop and using my index finger. I advise not trying to go as fast as you can, but just kind of keep a steady rhythm. I also counted as I went so I'd have a little warning when it was about to go into program mode.

Good Luck and hope this helps,

Rich

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one time I got it into programming mode I consciously DIDN'T count. I was clicking pretty fast so I was not able to count in my head as fast as I was clicking. It seemed much easier to not have to actively count as long as it gets to 250 or more clicks it will enter that mode. I just have to keep trying.

Has anyone worn out the battery before getting into programming mode? I bought 2 RCR-123s but wanted to turn this into a 85P BEFORE trying rechargeable C123s as they sound a bit scary like I could fry the light or something if I don't do the battery reset thing before putting in a rechargeable.

Also is it advisable to disable (or is it enable) option 4 FIRST, before option 9? I didn't know if option 9 is enabled that once it turns off and then you turn it on, you can get to programming mode with a click click click press or if option 4 needs to be changed before this will occur.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok I finally got the option 9 enabled? so I can get into programming mode with the click click click press. For some reason option 1 (Emergency Strobe) 2 (SOS) seem like they are always being enabled as it always goes from dim to bright. Not sure if this is affecting the brightness ramping up/down as when I try to set brightness I get one of the strobe/flashing modes instead. What I mean is I cannot adjust the brightness for any preset it seems and I do have forced lock disabled.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I did a factory reset after reading here it can correct some problems/glitches with programming. I then did the 250 clicks and enabled option 9. Got into program mode and the darned emergency and SOS are both enabled and the press and hold only allowed enabling not disabling. If I am doing something wrong then I'm an idiot, but save from reasing every thread here it seems like maybe mine isn't as programmable?

Lost Hawaiian

Newly Enlightened
Unless there is a problem with your particular light, I believe the Easter egg worked with all models. The only 2 I've had to use it on were the 120 models listed above. I do have another 120 and 2 85's, but they were P's to start.

When you do the "press-hold" to toggle the options, are you holding until the light turns off?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you do the "press-hold" to toggle the options, are you holding until the light turns off?

Yes on option 3, I am able to toggle on and off alternating back and forth but for some reason option 1 (emergency strobe) and option 2 (sos) I cannot seem to disable.

I did try the brightness/ramping just now and am for some reason seeing if go through signal modes and then the brightness ramping sequence. Weird as last night it went through about 4 different signal strobes/flashes and then kept repeating that loop without ever ramping solid light.

I did get all 4 modes set up:

1 click .08 lumen

2 click .23 lumen

3 click .66 lumen

click hold 3.8 lumen

PERFECT!!!

EDIT: Still not sure no one makes a dedicated light like this for people that like low low and never need a stupid bright light. I have been saying ever since owning a Quark AA why no one makes a dedicated light with a lower low than the moon mode, like .02 lumens (Dark Side of the Moon Mode), .2 lumens (Moon Mode), .5 lumens (Low Mode) and 1 or 2 lumens (Medium or High Mode depending on if you could call 1 lumen high). I've been waiting for a light like this for years and it really shouldn't only be available to people that have to buy a programmable light. I guess since this is PERFECT for what I want, then this moves to #1 EDC. Now to find a headlamp JUST LIKE THIS.

Still no clue why Options 1 can't be disabled, but set up like this I guess it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lastly, can someone confirm if the Emergency and SOS strobes are disabled, whether they still appear in the dimming/ramping sequence?

Lost Hawaiian

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup: on getting your light set up.

...and yes, the ramping will include all 21 levels (22 on 120P) and 3 different strobes (I just checked on both my 85 and 120) no matter how you have the options set.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought 4 880mAh RCR123 batteries and for some reason even after a full charge I can't do a Battery-Detect Reset. I turn light on with old battery unscrew tailcap, then insert new RCR123 and then when I screw it back together I quickly hold button in when light comes on but it does not get brighter it just goes out. Light never turns on after this.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: on getting your light set up.

...and yes, the ramping will include all 21 levels (22 on 120P) and 3 different strobes (I just checked on both my 85 and 120) no matter how you have the options set.

The manual states during the ramping process first it goes low to high and then high to low. I never see it go high to low.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ I think they mean it reverses the direction or sequence the modes go in.

not

dim to bright <double click> bright to dim.

Lost Hawaiian

Newly Enlightened
hmm...we might not be talking about the same thing I guess.

From on, when I "click-click-press and hold" it begins cycling, starting at whatever level I had it set at. When it reaches level 22 (brightest), it flashes to indicate the highest level, then cycles through the different strobes. Then it flashes again to let me know it's about to start ramping up from the lowest level. It will continue to cycle like this as long as I keep the button pressed.

If I want to reverse the order of the cycle, I release and "click-click-press and hold" and it will immediately start going through the cycle backwards until I release again.

Is this what you were originally asking about?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes but it never ramps from bright to dim. I usually start the ramping but never get the lowest level before it goes up 2 levels. Then I have to wait till it gets to the brightest and then the 4 signal modes before I can try again to get the lowest brightness setting.

Lost Hawaiian

Newly Enlightened
I have my 4th mode set to the lowest level. I found that it was easier for me to have the ramping going up so I'd get the flash after the strobes to tell me that the next one was the lowest level. When I tried setting it as it went high to low, I couldn't tell when it hit the lowest level.

After it cycles through the strobes, look for it to flash twice, then release as soon as it goes solid and it should be set at the lowest level.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just redid the 250 clicks as I wanted to try it again. My problem is maybe just the UI then. Primary (click on) I wanted set to lowest .08 lumens, but it may have gotten to level 3. How to lower that back down to .08 I have to keep button pressed and ramp up to the brightest setting, and then wait through the 4 signal modes before it returns to the lowest brightness setting. Unless there is another way I am just wondering if it is necessary to wait through all that just to lower a brightness level?

Another nitpick is say I was on Primary and then clicked to secondary or 3 clicks, there is no way to directly get to primary other than turning the light off and back on?

Lost Hawaiian

Newly Enlightened
Another nitpick is say I was on Primary and then clicked to secondary or 3 clicks, there is no way to directly get to primary other than turning the light off and back on?

Two clicks will return you immediately to either the primary or secondary level. It will return to whichever of these two levels was last used.

For example, I have mine set as follows:

Primary: level 15 (10lm)
Secondary: level 19 (42lm)
Minimum: level 1 (.08lm)
Maximum: level 22 (120lm)

This is how it will behave from primary:

3 clicks -> minimum
Click-Press -> maximum

I can go back and forth between min and max as much as I want, but a double click will take me back to primary.

If I do the same thing, but start on the secondary level, a double click will take me back to secondary.

BTW, I tried resetting my minimum level with the ramping going up, then with it going down. It was definitely easier to do when it was ramping up since I had the 2 flashes after the strobes to guide me. When I tried it while ramping down, I kept overshooting the level and going to the strobes.