Novatac vs Fenix??? Pros and Cons?

gunga

Flashaholic
Hey guys, can we calm down a bit please?

Skyline_man, do you have any threads or posts that mention Novatac switches dieing after a drop? I'm still curious as I've never heard of this type of failure.

Overall you can get duds on any type of light, cheap or costly, let's just go with the main differences between the 2 lights that we know of, and leave the speculation out of it.

I understand the logic behind the Novatac failure due to greater mass, but this assumes all other factors are constant (which is definitely not true).

I can't say whether one is more shockproof than the other, but can we just both are tough and leave it at that?

skyline_man

Banned
Guess who generated deadly force versus merely force that would injure. It wasn't the karate expert.

That would depends on where you are being hit. The boxer only gets taught to hit at the face and stomach whereas the karate expert knows where all the weak points of the human body is such as eyes, throat, knee cap etc.
In a real fight, it aint how much force you can hit someone that matters - its where you hit them and how you hit them.

skyline_man

Banned
Don't know about the switches of the Novatac's failing after a drop, but i do know about the light not working after a drop. Do a search and you will find.

gunga

Flashaholic
That's not the point.

I have read almost every thread about Novatac failures and don't recall ever seeing anything about failure after a drop, so that's why I would like you to provide evidence of your claim.

You are stating what you think is a fact. I don't have a problem with that, however it is quite crucial to your claims, so I suggest you provide some evidence to your fact.

Otherwise, it's speculation based on theory. Normally not too bad as long as you state it's a theory, but it's causing a lot of friction inthis thread.

So please back up your statements.

robo21

Enlightened
Someone is a hypocrite here????!!

So you are saying that the Novatac will outlast the Fenix P2D in a wall throwing contest? Where's your proof? Where is the direct test?

What you are saying is just your opinion which is formed by your own personal experience and accumulated information and IS NOT PROVEN!!!:shakehead

There is no hypocrisy in my posts. I am simply stating that the Novatac and its precursor HDS models were, in fact, tested with abuse and shown to be able to withstand horrendous abuse and still work.

There have been no such tests with the Fenix lights you mention because they are obviously not up to the task. They are made of flimsy alloy and are thin walled and lightweight. They were not designed for military or LEO use.

It's not my own personal experience that slammed the HDS precursors up against a wall 100 times with no effect, but it is posted here on the forum if you would take the time to read. There are no such tests for the little Fenix and, most likely, (IMO) for good reason.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would everyone please settle down a bit?

For the time being, I will leave the details of this to everyone's good judgement and civility and natural respect for each other.

Thanks.

AWGD8

Newly Enlightened
All I can say is I tried

- Orb RAW 120 lumen
- SF G2Z
- SF 6P
- SF G3
- WOLF EYES DEFENDER
- Fenix P2D Q2
- Fenix P3D Rebel 100

I sold them all except my incan SF G3 (w/ 6p defender bezel)

My 120P can do all the above except an incan output of my G3 :whoopin:

If a new and better Novatac comes out, i might sell my 120P and upgrade.

I guess the Novatac will hold it`s resale value than the P2D.

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all those who contributed their opinion. But to those who have been arguing since I left last night... please just stick to the facts. About half of the analogies were completely senseless, and then the other side even took the time to reply to them. (I assure you that I am not planning to hold a boxing match between my flashlights)

"flimsy alloy"? They are made of the same metal. The novatac is thicker, but is not made of a better metal.

Neither side has enough evidence to prove that one has better build quality. The T1 should not be referenced, as testing has shown that the P3D can take more of the type of abuse the EDC produces than the T1. It is ridiculous to suggest that we should suppose that whatever has not been tested must be because it couldn't perform well on that test. This is how every new winner light is discovered.

In conclusion, I'd like to ask that people contributing to this thread reply to my questions, which include anything you have to say about Novatac's EDC lights and Fenix's 1xCR123 EDC lights EXCEPT BUILD QUALITY. I think this decision will now be made by me without further input. I really appreciate people trying to help, but it seems like posters are becoming too distraced by this battle...

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I can say is I tried

- Orb RAW 120 lumen
- SF G2Z
- SF 6P
- SF G3
- WOLF EYES DEFENDER
- Fenix P2D Q2
- Fenix P3D Rebel 100

I sold them all except my incan SF G3 (w/ 6p defender bezel)

My 120P can do all the above except an incan output of my G3 :whoopin:

If a new and better Novatac comes out, i might sell my 120P and upgrade.

I guess the Novatac will hold it`s resale value than the P2D.

Try putting that Novatac in one tight jeans pocket and the P2D in the other tight jeans pocket. See which one you take out first. I'm not knocking Novatac but I never quite understood the size. Too big to be compact for pocket carry and not big enough to compete with the slightly bigger 2 CR123 Lights. It is a light that's not for me. I don't care how well it works or how tough it is.
nana.gif

Bill

skyline_man

Banned
LOL! Stop the arguing right here . . . Look! He thinks Nissan is better than Honda!!!! LOL!! ROTFLMAO !!!!

Talk about a credibility killer!!

Yes Nissan is better than Honda from a performance perspective. Look at the new Nissan GTR due for release in the US this year. 0-100km/h in 3.3sec, 0-400m in 11.6sec and laps the famous "ring" in Germany 2 secs faster than a 911 turbo and 4 sec faster than the Z06. All for only US$80 grand. Look it up on youtube. I challenge you to find a faster, better Honda road car.
Those that know about cars will read your comments and laugh at you.
And why are you attacking me personally anyway? Did i say something to offend you? Resorting to name calling and put downs now are we?

Wattnot

Enlightened
LOL!!! You are calling that a personal attack?? You're too funny!! Weren't YOU telling someone to lighten up earlier? Too much ! :hahaha:

phosphor

Enlightened
Try putting that Novatac in one tight jeans pocket and the P2D in the other tight jeans pocket. See which one you take out first. I'm not knocking Novatac but I never quite understood the size. Too big to be compact for pocket carry and not big enough to compete with the slightly bigger 2 CR123 Lights. It is a light that's not for me. I don't care how well it works or how tough it is.
nana.gif

Bill
Well if you don't like the Novatac...then you don't like it. It IS a chunky little fellow. However, if you have experienced the beam first-hand, well....there is something about the near perfect transition from spot to spill. Many think it's quite remarkable. That isn't to say the Fenix beam isn't very good. I like both these lights.......and I agree the P2D is a bit more of an "executive friendly" carry light in the pockets of many slacks.

- regards

qadsan

Newly Enlightened
...I am simply stating that the Novatac and its precursor HDS models were, in fact, tested with abuse and shown to be able to withstand horrendous abuse and still work...
As I recall from reading posts here on CPF and other places, I believe SHOT 2007 was where Henry of HDS was doing the Novatac technology demonstrations of the new EDC-120. They had a light on display that many different volunteers got a chance to throw as hard as they could against the concrete walls and the concrete floor as part of an ongoing torture test. This light ended up seeing more than 200+ serious impacts before the show was over, but this light still worked afterwards!

I've also talked with Jim, Dan and someone else at Novatac and they've also told me about similar tests they've done with their 85/120 series lights. And I was told more than one of their contract customers required serious torture testing before paperwork was signed and that the testing went very well.

robo21

Enlightened
Well if you don't like the Novatac...then you don't like it. It IS a chunky little fellow. However, if you have experienced the beam first-hand, well....there is something about the near perfect transition from spot to spill. Many think it's quite remarkable. That isn't to say the Fenix beam isn't very good. I like both these lights.......and I agree the P2D is a bit more of an "executive friendly" carry light in the pockets of many slacks.

- regards

Right on! To each his own.

As I recall from reading posts here on CPF and other places, I believe SHOT 2007 was where Henry of HDS was doing the Novatac technology demonstrations of the new EDC-120. They had a light on display that many different volunteers got a chance to throw as hard as they could against the concrete walls and the concrete floor as part of an ongoing torture test. This light ended up seeing more than 200+ serious impacts before the show was over, but this light still worked afterwards!

I've also talked with Jim, Dan and someone else at Novatac and they've also told me about similar tests they've done with their 85/120 series lights. And I was told more than one of their contract customers required serious torture testing before paperwork was signed and that the testing went very well.

Exactly. :twothumbs

skyline_man

Banned
LOL!!! You are calling that a personal attack?? You're too funny!! Weren't YOU telling someone to lighten up earlier? Too much !

You were questioning my credibility based on the fact that i think Nissan is better than Honda. Isn't that a personal attack?
The fact that you are completely wrong makes it even worse and makes you now look like a fool. ROTFLMAO :nana:

skyline_man

Banned
Okay okay, to all the loyal Novatac fans out there. Novatac is the best and is the most durable edc light ever made. I myself think that it is the best EDC out there - apart from the custom modified ones.
My opinion about it not being as tough or durable as the P2D is just speculation based on assumptions. There is yet to be a direct comparison between the two in terms of durability. But seeing that since the majority of members in this forum believe that the novatac is more durable than the P2D, i will go with the flow and agree as well.
Peace.

Fathom

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Qadsan for your last post. At least i did learn one good thing recently before I unsubscribe to this thread, such a waste.

AWGD8

Newly Enlightened
nana.gif

Bill

First of all I really don`t like wearing a geeky tight jeans :devil:

I prefer Levis 690 loose straight :thumbsup: that small pocket on the right fits well.

and don`t forget that it has a clip for your belt.