Novatac vs Fenix??? Pros and Cons?

skyline_man

Banned
The size of the Novatac is IMO - perfect. Length is just right - not too long so as to be obtrusive and not too short as to be awkward for one handed operation. Its diameter is perfect as well. I wear tight jeans and find no problems with the Novatac in my pocket.
I also have the P2D and frankly, i think that it is too narrow to be comfortable. I have large hands and the P2D just 'disappears' in my hand.
Another exellent design feature of the Novatac is that the narrow section of the body allows for one handed 'cigar hold' technique which i use very often because it's so comfortable. Not many lights can be held that way.
As an overall package, the Novatac is superior to the P2D. My P2D is collecting dust right now.

cal..45

Enlightened
While all the modes will work with a 3.0v RCR123. There are problems with them. You either have a regular 3.7v RCR123 with a diode(s) to drop the voltage(power waste and heat source strapped to battery-not recommended) or you use LiFePo4 which have at best 500mah capacity(short runtime) and both require a special charger. My personal conclusion is that a good rechargeable solution for the P2D doesn't exist. It was made to run on primaries. I own the P2D SE Q2 and 120P(my EDC). Once I received the 120P the P2D just sat on shelf. Not really a fair comparison though; $150 vs $60 light(back in the day). The 120P is my favorite light, especially with the 17670 tube I got from the Hound!:D

all I was saying is, that it is not correct to say the P2D will lose its low modes with rechargeables. personally I use 3V 650mah cells and they just work perfect with absolutely no problems whatsoever. yes, the runtime on "turbo mode" isn't exactly the longest (about 20-25 minutes) but thats just fine for me, I always carry a spare cell anyway. in low mode however, the lamp will run for hours. it might take another charger for 3V cells but it won't cost a fortune and considered the price (and availability) of primary CR123 batteries it will armortise the cost after 4-5 charge cycles at the latest. just my 2 cents

regards, holger

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
all I was saying is, that it is not correct to say the P2D will lose its low modes with rechargeables. personally I use 3V 650mah cells and they just work perfect with absolutely no problems whatsoever. yes, the runtime on "turbo mode" isn't exactly the longest (about 20-25 minutes) but thats just fine for me, I always carry a spare cell anyway. in low mode however, the lamp will run for hours. it might take another charger for 3V cells but it won't cost a fortune and considered the price (and availability) of primary CR123 batteries it will armortise the cost after 4-5 charge cycles at the latest. just my 2 cents

regards, holger

So all modes work exactly as they do w/ a non-rechargeable? w/out ridiculously short runtimes (<1/2 primaries) or being too bright? If yes, this is GREAT news for me :twothumbs

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will have short runtime that's at most half of primary. Rechargeables simply have less energy stored so there's no way around it.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Try putting that Novatac in one tight jeans pocket...

That's how mine is carried on weekends, using the clip, with a Motorola Razr V3 in the same pocket. Never much notice either the 120P or the Razr.

The Surefire U2 rides in the rear pocket, also out of the way & unnoticed. FWIW, the 120P is the same size as the U2 is, starting behind the selector ring. Many consider the U2 beam as near-perfect, and it is. But the 120P is even nicer, with a hotspot that has a much softer transition to the spillbeam.