Number one MUST HAVE flashlight

tgbydesign

Newly Enlightened
the number one must have light...hmmm the best bang for the dollar would be hands down a nitecore defender infinity (nitecore NDI). Runs on 1xAA battery easily accessible to replace and has very little moving parts to break down. Small enough to carry as an everyday light and has variable settings from low level (5 lumens) to high level output (130 lumens). Also comes with and emergency strobe setting at full power 130+ lumens! For a small everyday carry light packs a punch when you need it. What more can you ask for.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote would be for the Photon Microlight, any version. I think everyone should have one of these small lights on their keys, around their neck, somewhere they carry it every single day. They are just too handy, to easy to carry, and too reliable not to have on ones person every single day. I think of them personally as life insurance and have literally given them to every person in my family and most friends. All told I have probably given away about 40 of them.
Same reasons, but I prefer the Fenix E01. Good quality and a battery that doesn't beg you to end its life whenever you turn the light on.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the big reasons I chose the Photon over a single AAA light is size. I know that everyone will carry a Photon on their keys even if they wont elsewhere. A lot of people, like myself and others I know, will not carry a longer AAA light on a keychain. It makes the keys too long and they tend to swing and smack the steering column or be too bulky in the pocket. If they wont carry it on the keyring there is a chance it will get left behind, and I think it is important to have constantly.

That is also why I choose a ultra small light over a maglight or other any other AA or CR123 light. It takes a more dedicated effort to constantly carry one which most normal people wont make.

I even tell those that I give them to that I will change batteries for them should they need me to.

brucec

Enlightened
My Photon II has been in my pocket every day for about 10 years. I haven't found anything better to replace it. In fact, I've only ever had to buy one for my own use. Given away a few though.

D-Dog

Enlightened
I would go with a Photon II too because they are easily replaceable and much much lighter than even the lightest 1XAAA. This means you can keep one on your car keys without risking damage to your tumblers or stick the keys in your pocket and notice any extra weight. When the OP says MUST HAVE, it think it is realistic to expect almost everyone to carry a Photon on their keyring, but an ARC or even a fenix... I don't know

mbw_151

Enlightened
I've got Fenix, Surefire, limited production, and even customs and I've tried EDCing them all. In the end the light ALWAYS in my pocket is a Photon Freedom. Sure it isn't optimal, but it is so unobtrusive that it never gets left behind. It falls in that same class with my Swiss Army Classic. I'm usually not far from another light, but not far can seem very far when it is really dark. How many of you have cursed the darkness because carrying a larger light was "inconvenient". I've given so many Photons as gifts that my family groans when someone new opens one, yet a few of them actually carry them. Flashaholics in denial?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
fivemega_18500_1.jpg

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with the Photon as well.I doubt the average person will use the Photon that often so battery replacement is not likely to be much of an issue.The batteries are also lithium so when an emergency arises the light should work, unlike alkalines that may fail when you need them most.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with the Photon as well.I doubt the average person will use the Photon that often so battery replacement is not likely to be much of an issue.The batteries are also lithium so when an emergency arises the light should work, unlike alkalines that may fail when you need them most.

This is why I suggest the Rex, sure it's not as small, but if a person were to use their light more, they will likely see how much it would cost to replace the batteries at Walmart or wherever and it'd likely sit without realizing they can be bought cheaper online. And you can always be sure you have a topped of battery with the Rex. Can go wrong with a Fenix E01 though.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Well this is a very personal choice.
Everyone will have different needs and desires from their one and only.

That in mind I would take the light I put into my sig line. With a C3 and a few drop-in's I could still sort of enjoy the lego factor and keep up to date when new emitters come into play without buying new lights.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who said anything about their one and only light. That was never the question. The question was what one flashlight would one consider a must have for every single person, irregardless of what else they might have. No mention was made of not having another light, nor if the perosn was a flashlight nut.

AA6TZ

Enlightened
The new Fenix LD01 Stainless Steel:
  • Uses (1) AAA battery <= available virtually everywhere
  • Attaches to keychain <= harder to lose; always handy when you need it
  • Stainless Steel construction <= tough, corrosion-resistant finish
  • Very white & creamy beam <= hard NOT to love!
  • Relatively inexpensive <= IMHO
My $0.02 :thumbsup:

-Clive

Tiff

Newly Enlightened
I'll weigh in with my choice the Nitecore D10. I like the fact that it can use AA batteries and it's not that big. I've owned Photons and knockoffs of photons and they are good lights but when they break or run out of juice that's it. At least the heavier D10 you can easily get batteries for it and it's very durable. But I sure wouldn't want it on my keychain. :crazy:
For a keychain light I'd give the Nod to Photon but I'd want more light than the Photon puts out. Also I've broken 3 of them on my keychain so that's a factor as well.

Latest posts