Number one MUST HAVE flashlight

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will add my vote for the L0D - good light output, small size, uses a common battery type. I also have a E01 - but my L0D beam is so much less purple!

DCP117

Newly Enlightened
I want a purple SF A2! Actually, I'll take any exotic colored SF, but those purple A2s rock!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I want a purple SF A2! Actually, I'll take any exotic colored SF, but those purple A2s rock!

The question of the OP and thus the topic of this thread:

If you had to choose the number one most indespensible must have flashlight that every person should have what would you vote for?

Now ... I consider your asnwer off-topic. Like a lot of answers in this thread. Now ... why do I post this remark? Because I think this is a bothersome tendency on the forum that is becoming more and more prominent.

The question is disregarded and the ansers are a lot about what a member likes and wants. This is however not what the OP wants in most cases. Typically, the "which light" threads get ruined that way. You have seen one, you know them all. And this is not only because of the inflation of those threads, but also because of the useless answers.

In closing ... think about it ... what would you like as an answer to your question ... a remark about what the others want, or what they think what you might like.
Such answers should use the expertise of those answering to further the knowledge of those who ask.

:nana: ... and ... carry on.

bernie :)

herrgurka

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the Fenix LD01, stainless steel or aluminium for those of us who like to travel lightly. Mine is attached to my car keys which I usually carry on me all the time. AAA:s are easily available almost everywhere and at least until now the LD01 has satisfied my (rather humble) requirements perfectly (searching for stuff in my garage or behind office computers etc). My specimen has a nice warmwhite tint and a perfectly centered LED and beam. I also like its tactile qualities as a sort of secular rosary to play with during boring meetings (i.e. most meetings I have to attend). As of now I have fortunately managed to refrain from lighting any meeting participant in the eye, but that may only be a question of time, if only to wake her/him up :grin2:

Zenster

Enlightened
Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60....enough said.

I'll "almost" 2nd that except for the M60 part; too short a runtime.

I'd go with a 6P sporting the M60L head.
"Almost" (there's that word again :) ) as bright as the M60 but with double or more the runtime and with a beam just as beautiful.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
3+ cell MagLED.

Cheap, simple, efficient, adequate, and tactical if necessary.

Last edited:

GPB

Enlightened
I'd have to second something along the lines of a 3D MagLED. The photons and single AAA lights are all very handy and convenient, but I find that when I am using something along those lines, its a matter of convenience. If I didn't have the light, I could still be content. When I think of situations when you really NEED a light, I think of things like a flat tire on a dark road, looking for a lost item or person in the woods, keeping morale high during an extended power failure, etc. Situations where if you don't have a light, you could be in trouble. For those situations I think of a bigger light for longer run time and larger reflector..like the big Mag. I know its not a technically advanced light, but it's dependable, widely available, and runs on common batteries.

maxa beam

Banned
PhotonY.jpg

Two must have items ... tacticool to boot :D

A photon? I'm disappointed in you!

Anyways, a U2 probably.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
A photon? I'm disappointed in you!

Anyways, a U2 probably.

:nana:
"Every person", not me. A Photon might be carried by a lot of people and they might have it with them when they need it.

But I agree about the big Mag. When at home, it is preferrable to the Photon, obviously. A big MagLED carries you a long way and is affordable and KISS to use. Maybe really a Mag. Oh boy. :green:

bernie

herrgurka

Newly Enlightened
A big Mag is, well, big. Really big. Nice to have around but rather annoying when dropped on your toes. Maybe I have to stop playing with my flashlights ;)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The thread might as well be titled "If you could only have one light"

My answer would still be my P2D CE Q5 along with an L1 and L2 body.

But P2D primarily because it's easily EDCed....

Sure, something big and decently bright around the house.

Monkiee

Newly Enlightened
I think the E2DL would be the best choice for me :]. The way it looks and the amount of output that it throws out it just warms my heart. Also it has 2 stages so in edc ill probably be using the 5 lumen setting most of the time and the high setting for kicks :twothumbs. Also the run times on both settings are pretty long. 76 hours with 5 lumens and about 2 hours on the m60 beating beam.:eek: Well this is just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

AA6TZ

Enlightened
I think the E2DL would be the best choice for me :]. The way it looks and the amount of output that it throws out it just warms my heart. Also it has 2 stages so in edc ill probably be using the 5 lumen setting most of the time and the high setting for kicks :twothumbs. Also the run times on both settings are pretty long. 76 hours with 5 lumens and about 2 hours on the m60 beating beam.:eek: Well this is just my 2 cents.

Well said. You'll certainly get no argument from me!!! :twothumbs

Cheers!

-Clive

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'd have to second something along the lines of a 3D MagLED. The photons and single AAA lights are all very handy and convenient, but I find that when I am using something along those lines, its a matter of convenience. If I didn't have the light, I could still be content. When I think of situations when you really NEED a light, I think of things like a flat tire on a dark road, looking for a lost item or person in the woods, keeping morale high during an extended power failure, etc. Situations where if you don't have a light, you could be in trouble. For those situations I think of a bigger light for longer run time and larger reflector..like the big Mag. I know its not a technically advanced light, but it's dependable, widely available, and runs on common batteries.
Just our differing opinions, maybe, but along the same lines that many have suggested the Photon, I still feel a single cell AA/AAA, multi-level light to be the best choice of all. That could mean a lot of different lights, but it at least to me means one capable of throwing a bit of light, which leaves out the Photon, but one also capable of conserving power and stepping down when applicable, meaning definitely a multi-level light.

In closing this post, I have used L0D's for many situations where I really needed light and have seldom found it lacking except for when I wanted the light to be very low.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The thread might as well be titled "If you could only have one light"

No, it couldn't. Or better ... it shouldn't, but it can now.

This is the question of the OP:

If you had to choose the number one most indespensible must have flashlight that every person should have what would you vote for?
It is not about you. It is about "every person" that is everything but you (or us) for this thread, as "every person" is not a flashaholic.

bernie

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one that everybody MUST have? No matter what?

That's a no-brainer. It has to be a sealed-beam lantern.
  • Energizer 9101IND (current model "Big Jim")
  • "Big Beam" Model 664
  • "Big Beam" Model 666
  • RayOVac RAY301K
are the current production models.

Bulb-based incans, LEDs and HIDs are all nice, but once you've started on sealed beam lights, there's no turning back.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I think the confusion here arises when

we hafta' decide if the OP Question means . . . .

-- Everyone must HAVE (as in "own" or "possess")

OR

-- Everyone must HAVE (as in "Every Day Carry")

I'm gonna' assume the later. :tinfoil:

OK, here's my answer.

(as many before have similarly stated)

Certainly, everyone can carry a 1-AAA cell flashlight of their choice.

Whether they choose one of the fine Fenix models, or something else.

-- AND --

An LRI Photon coin-cell powered back-up, on their Keys.

:)
_