Number one MUST HAVE flashlight

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

The number one MUST HAVE flashlight
A light that
- runs in good regulation with readily available cells (alkaline)
- is small enough to carry
- has good quality
- is simple and easy to use

So this leads me to the Fenix E01 to hang on the keychain, or, if a larger flashlight can be carried along, a Fenix L2D.

(feel free to differ)
Kind regards,
Joris

HDCharlie

Newly Enlightened
How about the Streamlight Nano? As versatile as the Photon or any other flat button cell light, but at least it looks like a real flashlight. ;) Doesn't cost $.99, but is less than a Photon.

JCup

Newly Enlightened
If you had to choose the number one most indespensible must have flashlight that every person should have what would you vote for?

My vote would be for the Photon Microlight, any version.

OK, Lee. I agree the "Photon Microlight" is darned handy. I bought a bunch of 'em from Laughing Rabbit distributors when they were $15 or more each and a white LED was a rarity that few had ever seen. Over the years I've bought maybe a couple of hundred fauxtons, including 40 from Dealextreme this year (Christmas handouts for my co-workers). At about 40 cents, they are great giveaways.

But I have considered this question (in the form of what light do I give my _friends_) as it has become sort of traditional for me to give lights as Christmas gifts.

Part of this is a cost concern in the "every person" vector. I carry a Fenix LD01 with an L92 lithium cell and I have several of these lights, the backups with Eneloops. My ideal carry light. It fits in my jeans watch pocket, and it will handle just about any personal lighting need. A pretty strong beam, a good runtime; all in a compact package. The LOD-CE Q4 I bought last Christmas has survived a year of heavy use, and even made it through a wash and dry cycle in a pair of jeans with no ill effect.

But I think a price near $50 is too much for "every person" and the expensive ($2.50 or so) lithium or the select type NiMH is difficult for everyman.

The "microlight" is a great little gizmo, but I have not found them to be truly reliable. Look closely. This little invention uses a T5 diode which was designed to be a through-hole mounted leaded component, soldered in a circuit board. The Photon works by squeezing two tin-plated leads on either side of a sandwich of two batteries. I continue to be amazed that it works at all. Why doesn't it short and run the battery down? (to answer my own question, I think it sometimes does). We have no switch, no regulation. The 6V 80 mAH batteries are actually overdriving the diode, and the current load will sink the voltage of the battery in minutes.

There are legions of people who claim to have carried one for years, and they work like new. In my pocket and with my usage, a few months is max, and the 2016's are hard to find retail at reasonable prices. But anyway, buying the $1 (or less) Chinese clones is very sensible, and having one on the keychain when you need to light a dark corner for a few seconds is great.

But the "must have" concept for my close friends is the $10 Fenix E01. This light uses a AAA alkaline that can be found anywhere for 50 cents or so, and the AAA will yield 1,000 mAh or so at the current load of the E01.

The E01 will last for years, and it can provide a lot more illumination for much longer duration. I agree that the Nichia LED in it isn't a very nice white, but it's a real value at the price, much moreso than the "Photon" which is essentially just some batteries, an LED, and a couple of plastic moldings.

The value and practicality of the E01 is unmatched, so I consider it the everyman light.

DucS2R

Enlightened
Which is why I gave the E01's to everyone on my staff and to my kids and wife this year for Christmas. I would rather have given LOD1's, but I knew they would be overkill and most would not carry them or would lose them (and lighten my wallet a whole lot more!).

I carry an LOD1 ss on one keychain, an aluminum LOD on another, and an Aeon on the primary one. I also always have my PD20 somewhere close.

T.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "microlight" is a great little gizmo, but I have not found them to be truly reliable. Look closely. This little invention uses a T5 diode which was designed to be a through-hole mounted leaded component, soldered in a circuit board. The Photon works by squeezing two tin-plated leads on either side of a sandwich of two batteries. I continue to be amazed that it works at all. Why doesn't it short and run the battery down? (to answer my own question, I think it sometimes does). We have no switch, no regulation. The 6V 80 mAH batteries are actually overdriving the diode, and the current load will sink the voltage of the battery in minutes.

There are legions of people who claim to have carried one for years, and they work like new. In my pocket and with my usage, a few months is max, and the 2016's are hard to find retail at reasonable prices. But anyway, buying the $1 (or less) Chinese clones is very sensible, and having one on the keychain when you need to light a dark corner for a few seconds is great.

Cannot argue with a well thought out answer and reasoning. I do have to say however, that I have carried 3 of those gizmos for about 10 years with perfect reliablity. I have also given out literally dozens and dozens of them and never had one fail a person I have given one to. Yes I have had to change batteries for people because changing them is more than some will be able to accomplish. But I do that willingly, and explain that to them initially upon the giving.

I think the E01 is a great choice too, and in fact before Photons and LONG before the E01 I used to give out Maglight Solitares. The one problem I found was even that size factor was too much for quite a few people. they would not carry them on their keys. Any light over the length of a Photon is simply too long for them because they tend to swing and sometimes hit the column of their car. They also dislike the added length and weight on the keychain in their pocket with it on. They would either drop in in a purse where it got lost in the black hole, or in a pocket and it sometiimes got left in the change tray on the dresser.

The Photon, gizmo it may be, is always on the kechain and always there. That is why I choose it. I would never argue the E01 is not an excellant choice and I probably will give them to some people who will carry one.

jag-engr

Enlightened
I can't think of a specific brand and model light that everyone should have, but more of a specific style of light.

Everyone needs a simple, one-mode AAA light.

It could be one of several options: Arc AAA, Fenix E01, Fenix E1, Fenix E0, KD Buckle Light (35 lumen V5), Peak Matterhorn, Peak Baltic, or UltraFire ???. I intentionally excluded the Streamlight Stylus, since it is almost as big as a AA light. Obviously, the higher end options such as the Arc or a Peak would appeal more to a flashaholic, but just about anyone could see the benefit of a handy small flashlight once it's come to their rescue on some occasion. The Photons are great lights, but most people would stick it in a drawer once the battery runs down the first time and it would never again be used.

Kiessling,

Thank you for trying to keep this thread from degenerating into another "best flashlight ever" / "if you could have only one" thread. I don't know that you're going to succeed, but thank you for trying.

AA6TZ

Enlightened
I carry an LOD1 SS on one keychain, an aluminum LOD on another and an Aeon on the primary one. I also always have my PD20 somewhere close.

T.

Those are certainly some excellent choices you made, DucS2R! :thumbsup: Hope they continue to serve you well for many years.

-Clive

FLT MEDIC

Newly Enlightened
One of the big reasons I chose the Photon over a single AAA light is size. I know that everyone will carry a Photon on their keys even if they wont elsewhere. A lot of people, like myself and others I know, will not carry a longer AAA light on a keychain. It makes the keys too long and they tend to swing and smack the steering column or be too bulky in the pocket. If they wont carry it on the keyring there is a chance it will get left behind, and I think it is important to have constantly.

That is also why I choose a ultra small light over a maglight or other any other AA or CR123 light. It takes a more dedicated effort to constantly carry one which most normal people wont make.

I even tell those that I give them to that I will change batteries for them should they need me to.

Same here.

Most people would not carry a flashlight unless it is light and small enough to fit in their keychain like a single mode Photon clone. Ironically, they don't mind the more expensive coin batteries because the battery life with the LED is longer than their usual 2D home or car's glove compartment flashlight. It's a different story if they already own an LED light of some sort and/or a rechargeable battery with their lights because it means they're frequent and interested light users.

JCup

Newly Enlightened
Most people would not carry a flashlight unless it is light and small enough to fit in their keychain...

Most?

You can easily carry an E01 on a keychain, although I assert that most any woman can fit a little AAA light smaller than a lipstick in their purse. And I wear slacks to work, but find room for a AAA light and a pocketknife with ease.

I don't disagree with the benefit of the "Photon" style light as a backup, the AAA lights have increased performance so much in the past year or two that they warrant lugging that sub one ounce light the size of your little finger that can light up a room and reach out 50 feet or more. A real light, and not a novelty. Definitely my #1.

So given that I have a fauxton on my keychain, I'll agree that it makes a good number TWO...

And probably 98% of the population carries ZERO. :sigh:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Most?

You can easily carry an E01 on a keychain, although I assert that most any woman can fit a little AAA light smaller than a lipstick in their purse. And I wear slacks to work, but find room for a AAA light and a pocketknife with ease.

I don't disagree with the benefit of the "Photon" style light as a backup, the AAA lights have increased performance so much in the past year or two that they warrant lugging that sub one ounce light the size of your little finger that can light up a room and reach out 50 feet or more. A real light, and not a novelty. Definitely my #1.

So given that I have a fauxton on my keychain, I'll agree that it makes a good number TWO...

And probably 98% of the population carries ZERO. :sigh:
This is a great post and speaks fairly directly to the fact that there seems to be two different lines of thought which are in line with the OP's question. One group is thinking what light would give people the least excuses to carry a light, and the other (to which I belong) believing that there is no excuse for anyone not to be able to carry a AAA light, which offers so much more functionality and ease of feeding with the ubiquitous AAA battery.

I do know for a fact that of the people I've given L0D's to most of them had a light that used button batteries that were at that point dead and awaiting the moment in time when they would find them in the grocery store; or a Solitaire, which had dead batteries because that's what Solitaires do best, is to kill batteries without offering much functional usage.

To date almost everyone I gave an L0D to has stated that they can't leave it behind because it's so addictive to use when necessary and to show off the rest of the time. One of my friends whose wife wouldn't carry a flashlight stole the L0D I gave him!

I can't argue with the group that feels the Photon is the best, but I'm still for the AAA light.

lighthead09

Newly Enlightened
I hate to say it because it sounds so trendy, but I will always have a mini-Maglite close by. They are a dime-a-dozen and and hold up to the elements well. They were all ever I needed while in the military and 99 percent of the time I used the red lens cover. I still subscribe to the "less is more" theory when it comes to lighting. You would be surprised at how well you can see in the dark once your eyes are adjusted.

My perfect flashlight for regular use would be something as small (or smaller) than a min-Maglite, has a warm yellow halogen glow to it, is practically powered (doesn't double as a searchlight), all metal, waterproof, and can last for hours on a single charge.

I hope all these "bluish-white" lights out there are just because of limited technology and a passing trend. Our eyes evolved around a yellow sun, not a blue one! :)

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Get somebody to do you a Q2 or Q3 5A tint driven moderately and you'd have your wish.

Both AAA and Coin Cell lights have their place. I wouldn't put AAA on my keychain as it's bad enough already. It does have a Lighthound "clicky" coin cell on it though.

I carry my AAA clipped in my work shirt pocket to the left of the button.

I can carry AA or 1X 123 in my right front jeans pocket without any trouble and in fact carry my Pierce M10 with flood optic there.

Maybe E01 or New ARC AAA are bright enough. My old ARC is not bright enough for me except in pitch dark. But low of a P2D will do me swell in that situation.